Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > evaluation copy/compatability/problems

evaluation copy/compatability/problems

John Barnes

Care to share what USB modem works so I can possibly free up a PCI slot?
Thanks

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Um, not if, as I suspect, the problem is that you haven't got (and they
> may
> not be available yet, if ever) the correct x64 drivers for the peripherals
> involved...
>
> But I think the overall impression is that most of us have found at least
> drivers for our basic systems -- audio, video (card, display), network
> (finally found a USB modem that works), motherboard/chipsets, etc. The
> generic vga driver is fairly spectacular compared to previous versions of
> Windows, at least with the Server version (I had to locate and install the
> same when installing XP Pro x64). USB audio is a cinch if you're not an
> audiophile. Ditto for mice and keyboards -- forget about Intellistuff for
> now.
>
> Drivers should be much more abundant when Vista comes to town next year.
> More manufacturers should get their acts together by then. Right now, they
> seem to be biding their time watching to gauge the public's collective
> reaction to Microsoft's new operating system standards before throwing
> their
> own resources in the pool. It wouldn't be the first time. Doing the
> opposite
> (the right thing) might be...
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If I was to buy the retail version on x64, and installed it, would this

> fix
>> all my problems too?
>>
>> Thanks very much for your help, by the way!
>>
>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>>
>> > I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.
>> > --
>> > Andre
>> > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
>> > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
>> > FAQ for MS AntiSpy
>> > http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
>> >
>> > "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> your

> with

> helping

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, it works fine, but you are still missing critical updates, so that
isn't fine. Let me ask this again. What is the value of:
NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Lemo wrote:
> I restored the system back to before the updates and everything works
> fine now
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to
>> be selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap
>> they can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial
>> version should be a separate disk that comes with system that user
>> should choose to install if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP
>> Pro x64 you are running, because all recent versions of Messenger are
>> fully compatible with XP x64. --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already
>>> installed, and am planning on buying the full version, but -
>>>
>>> downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
>>> scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
>>> played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
>>>
>>> also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
>>>
>>> are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
>>> i am running a sempron 3000+
>>>
>>> Please help!
>>> Lemo

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

well, I'll see if ebay are gonna give me a bit of compensation anyway....
not sure if I'm going to get a new motherboard/processor and sell the
sempron, or just stick with it for now

decisions, descisions.....

"Randy" wrote:

> Nah, you're not stuffed, you're just setup to be entertained and educated in
> the foibles of both under-handed business practices AND some potentially
> incredible giant leaps for softwarekind. ;~) If you're like most of us,
> you'll see it as and enjoy it for the challenge it presents. Turn your
> lemons into Cherry Coca Cola... Don't let the ebay crook spoil your day,
> just take the ball and run with it and have fun. Karma has a way of coming
> around anyway, so you'll eventually get your due (an even better system),
> just as the ebay crook will get what's coming to him. ;~)
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
> > negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even receive
> > their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was advertised

> as
> > an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off ebay
> > and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC arrived
> > So Im stuffed!
> > Ah well, you live and learn....
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> > > The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to

> be
> > > selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap

> they
> > > can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version

> should
> > > be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to

> install
> > > if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
> > > because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP

> x64.
> > > --
> > > Andre
> > > Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> > > Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
> > > http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
> > > FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm
> > >
> > > "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> installed,

> colour

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

I think I might just upgrade to x64 when its the standard
Cant afford 2 OS!

"Randy" wrote:

> Then you just might want to first look at a few posts by Charlie talking
> about a free 64-bit version of CakeWalk (IIRC). 64 bit computing opens up a
> whole new world of real-time editing in much larger memory spaces than
> previously available under Windows. And IIRC, CakeWalk in particular works
> faster under x64 as well
>
> Consider the difference in being able to create, edit, and record a new,
> lengthy work (music, prose, video, or whatever) completely in your head
> before writing out the final version... versus having to do EVERYTHING by
> pen and paper, or on a type writer, or even in a word processor. The former
> frees your mind to work more efficiently; the latter is constrained by the
> capacities of the various methods used -- how many bits of data they can
> hold and let you work on simultaneously.
>
> You can always dual boot... keep doing what you're used to under an x32
> environment, but have x64 installed on a second partition (installed
> second), allowing you to then chose which to run each time you boot. You
> then get the benefit of continuity of production doing what you're familiar
> with, while being able to "play with" (learn) the new OS on the side as time
> and interest permit. When the time then comes (as it eventually, inevitably,
> will) you HAVE to upgrade, you're already that much further along the path
> to x64... and it's that much further along becoming ready for you.
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'll just get 32-bit version this weekend then!
> > all I'll be using the pc for is sound recording/producing so i dont need

> the
> > 64 bit version
> >
> > thanks, you have all been a big help!
> >
> > Lemo
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> > > The 32-bit Windows XP (Home Or Professional) work just great on a 64-bit
> > > processor. A 64-bit operating system is useful to those delineated in
> > > Andre's post.
> > >

> > > "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> version

> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft

> 20+

> off

> suppose

> cheap

> version

> XP

> the

John Barnes

Best to go with XP Pro if you are only going to have one system and money is
tight. X64 is not just an investment in the OS, but turns out to be many
times the cost of the OS in buying new equipment and programs, and many
'comfy' consumer programs just don't work in x64. I do suggest that when
you buy equipment you plan ahead by buying 64-bit ready equipment, and to
the extent you can find out (very difficult) try to buy programs which will
work on x64 if you have a choice of software that is comparable in
usefulness to you.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I definitely agree with John.
--
> [...]

>>> capacities of the various methods used -- how many bits of data they can
>>> hold and let you work on simultaneously.
>>>
>>> You can always dual boot... keep doing what you're used to under an x32
>>> environment, but have x64 installed on a second partition (installed
>>> second), allowing you to then chose which to run each time you boot. You
>>> then get the benefit of continuity of production doing what you're
>>> familiar
>>> with, while being able to "play with" (learn) the new OS on the side as
>>> time
>>> and interest permit. When the time then comes (as it eventually,
>>> inevitably,
>>> will) you HAVE to upgrade, you're already that much further along the
>>> path
>>> to x64... and it's that much further along becoming ready for you.
>>>
>>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

well, I'm not really bothered about the updates as I'm going to get xp home
on Saturday

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Yes, it works fine, but you are still missing critical updates, so that
> isn't fine. Let me ask this again. What is the value of:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Lemo wrote:
> > I restored the system back to before the updates and everything works
> > fine now
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to
> >> be selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap
> >> they can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial
> >> version should be a separate disk that comes with system that user
> >> should choose to install if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP
> >> Pro x64 you are running, because all recent versions of Messenger are
> >> fully compatible with XP x64. --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?U2h1cmRz?=

Charlie,

I have the same problem as Lemo. I have the same Version and build
number(Version 5.2, Build 3790). After several updates, I have lost the
ability to use Windows Installer. If I want to install new software using
Windows Installer, I have to uninstall the updates to do so. The Nov. 11
update gave me the same color scheme problems as Lemo to where I could not
use the computer so I had to permanently uninstall it. I even tried a clean
reinstall of the Windows XP 64 software, however, that did not help at all.

The CSDBuildNumber is 1433. You mentioned earlier that if it is not 1830,
you know what the problem is. Thanks for your help.

Shurds

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Yes, it works fine, but you are still missing critical updates, so that
> isn't fine. Let me ask this again. What is the value of:
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Lemo wrote:
> > I restored the system back to before the updates and everything works
> > fine now
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to
> >> be selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap
> >> they can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial
> >> version should be a separate disk that comes with system that user
> >> should choose to install if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP
> >> Pro x64 you are running, because all recent versions of Messenger are
> >> fully compatible with XP x64. --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

You MUST update to the released product. The build you have is beta code,
and it will NOT WORK with Windows Update correctly.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Shurds wrote:
> Charlie,
>
> I have the same problem as Lemo. I have the same Version and build
> number(Version 5.2, Build 3790). After several updates, I have lost the
> ability to use Windows Installer. If I want to install new software using
> Windows Installer, I have to uninstall the updates to do so. The Nov. 11
> update gave me the same color scheme problems as Lemo to where I could not
> use the computer so I had to permanently uninstall it. I even tried a
> clean reinstall of the Windows XP 64 software, however, that did not help
> at all.
>
> The CSDBuildNumber is 1433. You mentioned earlier that if it is not 1830,
> you know what the problem is. Thanks for your help.
>
> Shurds
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> Yes, it works fine, but you are still missing critical updates, so that
>> isn't fine. Let me ask this again. What is the value of:
>> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows
>> NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Lemo wrote:
>>> I restored the system back to before the updates and everything works
>>> fine now

Colin Barnhorst

He should call PSS for free update support and they will explain to him why
he is not running a supported product.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...