Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > evaluation copy/compatability/problems

evaluation copy/compatability/problems

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

If you do plan on moving to Windows x64, you can aquire the full OEM version
with qualifying hardware from the following vendors:
http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16837102034
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft
http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
> negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even receive
> their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was advertised
> as
> an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off ebay
> and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC arrived
> So Im stuffed!
> Ah well, you live and learn....
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to
>> be
>> selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap
>> they
>> can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version
>> should
>> be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to
>> install
>> if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
>> because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP
>> x64.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already
>> > installed,
>> > and am planning on buying the full version, but -
>> >
>> > downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the
>> > colour
>> > scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
>> > played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
>> >
>> > also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
>> >
>> > are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
>> > i am running a sempron 3000+
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> > Lemo

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

I was told today that if I have a 64 bit processor, x64 is the only version
of XP I can run - is this not true?

thanks for all your help on this andre and john!

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> If you do plan on moving to Windows x64, you can aquire the full OEM version
> with qualifying hardware from the following vendors:
> http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16837102034
> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft
> http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
> > negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even receive
> > their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was advertised
> > as
> > an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off ebay
> > and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC arrived
> > So Im stuffed!
> > Ah well, you live and learn....
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to
> >> be
> >> selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap
> >> they
> >> can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version
> >> should
> >> be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to
> >> install
> >> if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
> >> because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP
> >> x64.
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

The 32-bit Windows XP (Home Or Professional) work just great on a 64-bit
processor. A 64-bit operating system is useful to those delineated in
Andre's post.

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was told today that if I have a 64 bit processor, x64 is the only version
> of XP I can run - is this not true?
>
> thanks for all your help on this andre and john!
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> If you do plan on moving to Windows x64, you can aquire the full OEM
>> version
>> with qualifying hardware from the following vendors:
>> http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
>> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16837102034
>> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft
>> http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
>> > negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even
>> > receive
>> > their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was
>> > advertised
>> > as
>> > an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off
>> > ebay
>> > and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC
>> > arrived
>> > So Im stuffed!
>> > Ah well, you live and learn....

Colin Barnhorst

In fact you can run both XP Pro x64 and any version of x86 Windows you want.
A lot of x64 users run both in a dual boot scenario. If you do that, be
sure to start fresh and install x86 first and then put x64 on a different
drive or partition.

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was told today that if I have a 64 bit processor, x64 is the only version
> of XP I can run - is this not true?
>
> thanks for all your help on this andre and john!
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> If you do plan on moving to Windows x64, you can aquire the full OEM
>> version
>> with qualifying hardware from the following vendors:
>> http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
>> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16837102034
>> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft
>> http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
>> > negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even
>> > receive
>> > their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was
>> > advertised
>> > as
>> > an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off
>> > ebay
>> > and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC
>> > arrived
>> > So Im stuffed!
>> > Ah well, you live and learn....

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

I'll just get 32-bit version this weekend then!
all I'll be using the pc for is sound recording/producing so i dont need the
64 bit version

thanks, you have all been a big help!

Lemo

"John Barnes" wrote:

> The 32-bit Windows XP (Home Or Professional) work just great on a 64-bit
> processor. A 64-bit operating system is useful to those delineated in
> Andre's post.
>

> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I was told today that if I have a 64 bit processor, x64 is the only version
> > of XP I can run - is this not true?
> >
> > thanks for all your help on this andre and john!
> >
> > "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
> >
> >> If you do plan on moving to Windows x64, you can aquire the full OEM
> >> version
> >> with qualifying hardware from the following vendors:
> >> http://www.directron.com/winxpx64.html
> >> http://www2.newegg.com/Product/Produ...82E16837102034
> >> http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...ture=Microsoft
> >> http://www.planetamd64.com/catalog/
> >> --
> >> Andre
> >>
> >> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

I restored the system back to before the updates and everything works fine now

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to be
> selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap they
> can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version should
> be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to install
> if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
> because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP x64.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already installed,
> > and am planning on buying the full version, but -
> >
> > downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
> > scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
> > played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
> >
> > also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
> >
> > are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
> > i am running a sempron 3000+
> >
> > Please help!
> > Lemo

Charlie Russel - MVP

No, we need more than that, I'm afraid. I still suspect he installed the CPP
eval version. Take a look at the following registry key and tell me what it
says:

NT\CurrentVersion\CSDBuildNumber

If it's anything OTHER than 1830, we've identified the problem.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Lemo wrote:
> Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> You need to determine exactly what "evaluation" version you have on your
>> computer. Some places are still loading a copy of the Beta and that
>> causes problems because most of the old drivers are not compatible with
>> the released version.
>>
>> Click on <Start> then <Run> the type in "winver" (without quotes) and
>> click on <OK> and an "About Windows" will come up and provide the
>> information you need.
>>

>> Lemo wrote:
>>> Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already
>>> installed, and am planning on buying the full version, but -
>>>
>>> downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
>>> scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
>>> played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
>>>
>>> also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
>>>
>>> are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
>>> i am running a sempron 3000+
>>>
>>> Please help!
>>> Lemo

Randy

Um, not if, as I suspect, the problem is that you haven't got (and they may
not be available yet, if ever) the correct x64 drivers for the peripherals
involved...

But I think the overall impression is that most of us have found at least
drivers for our basic systems -- audio, video (card, display), network
(finally found a USB modem that works), motherboard/chipsets, etc. The
generic vga driver is fairly spectacular compared to previous versions of
Windows, at least with the Server version (I had to locate and install the
same when installing XP Pro x64). USB audio is a cinch if you're not an
audiophile. Ditto for mice and keyboards -- forget about Intellistuff for
now.

Drivers should be much more abundant when Vista comes to town next year.
More manufacturers should get their acts together by then. Right now, they
seem to be biding their time watching to gauge the public's collective
reaction to Microsoft's new operating system standards before throwing their
own resources in the pool. It wouldn't be the first time. Doing the opposite
(the right thing) might be...

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I was to buy the retail version on x64, and installed it, would this

fix
> all my problems too?
>
> Thanks very much for your help, by the way!
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
> > I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.
> > --
> > Andre
> >
> > "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"

your

with

helping

Randy

Nah, you're not stuffed, you're just setup to be entertained and educated in
the foibles of both under-handed business practices AND some potentially
incredible giant leaps for softwarekind. ;~) If you're like most of us,
you'll see it as and enjoy it for the challenge it presents. Turn your
lemons into Cherry Coca Cola... Don't let the ebay crook spoil your day,
just take the ball and run with it and have fun. Karma has a way of coming
around anyway, so you'll eventually get your due (an even better system),
just as the ebay crook will get what's coming to him. ;~)

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
> negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even receive
> their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was advertised

as
> an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off ebay
> and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC arrived
> So Im stuffed!
> Ah well, you live and learn....
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
> > The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to

be
> > selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap

they
> > can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version

should
> > be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to

install
> > if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
> > because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP

x64.
> > --
> > Andre
> >
> > "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > > Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already

installed,
> > > and am planning on buying the full version, but -
> > >
> > > downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the

colour
> > > scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
> > > played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
> > >
> > > also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
> > >
> > > are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
> > > i am running a sempron 3000+
> > >
> > > Please help!
> > > Lemo

Randy

Then you just might want to first look at a few posts by Charlie talking
about a free 64-bit version of CakeWalk (IIRC). 64 bit computing opens up a
whole new world of real-time editing in much larger memory spaces than
previously available under Windows. And IIRC, CakeWalk in particular works
faster under x64 as well

Consider the difference in being able to create, edit, and record a new,
lengthy work (music, prose, video, or whatever) completely in your head
before writing out the final version... versus having to do EVERYTHING by
pen and paper, or on a type writer, or even in a word processor. The former
frees your mind to work more efficiently; the latter is constrained by the
capacities of the various methods used -- how many bits of data they can
hold and let you work on simultaneously.

You can always dual boot... keep doing what you're used to under an x32
environment, but have x64 installed on a second partition (installed
second), allowing you to then chose which to run each time you boot. You
then get the benefit of continuity of production doing what you're familiar
with, while being able to "play with" (learn) the new OS on the side as time
and interest permit. When the time then comes (as it eventually, inevitably,
will) you HAVE to upgrade, you're already that much further along the path
to x64... and it's that much further along becoming ready for you.