Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > evaluation copy/compatability/problems

evaluation copy/compatability/problems

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already installed,
and am planning on buying the full version, but -

downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping

also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger

are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
i am running a sempron 3000+

Please help!
Lemo

Rick

You need to determine exactly what "evaluation" version you have on your
computer. Some places are still loading a copy of the Beta and that
causes problems because most of the old drivers are not compatible with
the released version.

Click on <Start> then <Run> the type in "winver" (without quotes) and
click on <OK> and an "About Windows" will come up and provide the
information you need.

Lemo wrote:
> Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already installed,
> and am planning on buying the full version, but -
>
> downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
> scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
> played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
>
> also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
>
> are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
> i am running a sempron 3000+
>
> Please help!
> Lemo

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to be
selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap they
can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version should
be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to install
if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already installed,
> and am planning on buying the full version, but -
>
> downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
> scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
> played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
>
> also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
>
> are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
> i am running a sempron 3000+
>
> Please help!
> Lemo

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"

"Rick" wrote:

> You need to determine exactly what "evaluation" version you have on your
> computer. Some places are still loading a copy of the Beta and that
> causes problems because most of the old drivers are not compatible with
> the released version.
>
> Click on <Start> then <Run> the type in "winver" (without quotes) and
> click on <OK> and an "About Windows" will come up and provide the
> information you need.
>

> Lemo wrote:
> > Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already installed,
> > and am planning on buying the full version, but -
> >
> > downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
> > scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
> > played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
> >
> > also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
> >
> > are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
> > i am running a sempron 3000+
> >
> > Please help!
> > Lemo

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

I bought the PC off ebay, and once I paid, the "power seller" got 20+
negative feedback in the following month. Most people didnt even receive
their PCs so I guess I'm one of the lucky ones (although it was advertised as
an athlon, so Im slightly annoyed at that). The seller got kicked off ebay
and have had no replies from questions Ive asked him since the PC arrived
So Im stuffed!
Ah well, you live and learn....

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> The question I would like to ask, are System builders or OEMs suppose to be
> selling PCs with evaluation versions on it? Gosh, are they that cheap they
> can't even bundle it with XP Home? XP Professional x64 Trial version should
> be a separate disk that comes with system that user should choose to install
> if they wish. I suspect its beta version of XP Pro x64 you are running,
> because all recent versions of Messenger are fully compatible with XP x64.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already installed,
> > and am planning on buying the full version, but -
> >
> > downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the colour
> > scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
> > played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
> >
> > also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
> >
> > are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
> > i am running a sempron 3000+
> >
> > Please help!
> > Lemo

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"
>
> "Rick" wrote:
>
>> You need to determine exactly what "evaluation" version you have on your
>> computer. Some places are still loading a copy of the Beta and that
>> causes problems because most of the old drivers are not compatible with
>> the released version.
>>
>> Click on <Start> then <Run> the type in "winver" (without quotes) and
>> click on <OK> and an "About Windows" will come up and provide the
>> information you need.
>>

>> Lemo wrote:
>> > Just bought a new PC with the evaluation copy of XP x64 already
>> > installed,
>> > and am planning on buying the full version, but -
>> >
>> > downloaded the latest updates and it has caused problems with the
>> > colour
>> > scheme, to the point where i cant read highlighted buttons etc
>> > played around with the advanced apperance settings but its not helping
>> >
>> > also, cant install certain programs eg msn messenger
>> >
>> > are these problems just because its the evaluation version?
>> > i am running a sempron 3000+
>> >
>> > Please help!
>> > Lemo

=?Utf-8?B?TGVtbw==?=

If I was to buy the retail version on x64, and installed it, would this fix
all my problems too?

Thanks very much for your help, by the way!

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"
> >
> > "Rick" wrote:
> >
> >> You need to determine exactly what "evaluation" version you have on your
> >> computer. Some places are still loading a copy of the Beta and that
> >> causes problems because most of the old drivers are not compatible with
> >> the released version.
> >>
> >> Click on <Start> then <Run> the type in "winver" (without quotes) and
> >> click on <OK> and an "About Windows" will come up and provide the
> >> information you need.

John Barnes

There is NO retail version. Available only OEM with equipment (though
places like NewEgg include a cable splitter to comply). The odds of
installing this is unlikely to solve ALL your problems. There are numerous
driver and software problems with x64 and you must do your research to make
sure it is for you. Andre has several posts of those whom this system is
designed for. Read them. Charlie had a webcast. If you can view it. Then
decide if x64 is for you or should you go for x86 or a dual boot. Learn
before you buy, as you will see here a number of purchasers didn't and have
regretted it. Many love it.

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I was to buy the retail version on x64, and installed it, would this
> fix
> all my problems too?
>
> Thanks very much for your help, by the way!
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"

John Barnes

There is NO retail version. Available only OEM with equipment (though
places like NewEgg include a cable splitter to comply). The odds of
installing this is unlikely to solve ALL your problems. There are numerous
driver and software problems with x64 and you must do your research to make
sure it is for you. Andre has several posts of those whom this system is
designed for. Read them. Charlie had a webcast. If you can view it. Then
decide if x64 is for you or should you go for x86 or a dual boot. Learn
before you buy, as you will see here a number of purchasers didn't and have
regretted it. Many love it.

"Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If I was to buy the retail version on x64, and installed it, would this
> fix
> all my problems too?
>
> Thanks very much for your help, by the way!
>
> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:
>
>> I would do a system restore then prior to this problem occuring.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Lemo" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Its "Version 5.2 Build 3790"

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Sorry about what happened with the seller on ebay as John had mention, for
your interest here is a quick run down about targetted audience for Windows
x64:
Some things to remember from Charlies recent web cast:
The initial target audience for XP Professional x64 includes the following:
- Developers
- Gamers
- Graphics, audio and media artists
- Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
- Enthusiast
(It is not recommended for casual users)

Also common issues associated with x64 when it comes to compatibility
include:
No support for 16-bit applications
All hardware device drivers are required to be 64-bit to work on x64
No support for MS-DOS applications
32-Bit Explorer extensions do not work

Others include:
No active desktop in x64
No Microsoft IntelliPoint drivers (popular one here in the ngs)
No firewall client for ISA, also no Novell netware client
Scanners and all-in-one printer driver support can be a problem
No imaging software support

More:
Limited AntiVirus support (supported ones are Avast Home 4.6, NOD 32, AVG,
eTrust 7.1, Symantec AV 10)
No Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) in wireless
For NERO users have encountered uninstallation problems, limited and easily
resolved by re-running setup from the CD. (See the post Nero 7 doesnt
uninstall on Win x64 by Wad dated: 11/3/2005 3:44 AM)

So make sure your investment in Windows XP Professional x64 is worth the
possible trade offs, I think most would agree at least the ensure that the
computer is 64 bit enabled. You can give the XP Professional x64 Trial a
trial in a dual boot configuration with XP x86 to see if it really fits your
needs.
Check out the entire presentation at the following link
http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

Also check out the following FAQs by Charlie Russel:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...el_x64faq.mspx