Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Forget VPC or x64 and buy Virtual Server for less!

Forget VPC or x64 and buy Virtual Server for less!

Tony Sperling

Might this have anything to do with VMWare having resently been aquired?
(Make aquisition hurt, or something?)

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I had to buy VMWare, and got Virtual Server for free. I'm happy with
> my purchase. Seroiusly, VMWare still has a significant advantage over
> VS, IMHO. I don't like their networking setup as much, but they do support
> USB devices, they do support x64 guests, and they have "teams" and
> multiple snapshots. All of these are big items. Well, all but USB. I don't
> actually give a hoot about that, though some do. And adding a tape drive
> in VMWare was, frankly, trivial.
>
> But on price? Oh, it's going to hurt VMWare sales unless they do something
> fairly drastic to their prices.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> Yes. A very savvy step too.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It
>> must have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was
>> just too much.
>>
>>> Good news on pricing, this is going to be a huge step forward for
>>> virtualization.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah, might as make it a free download for XP and future versions of
Windows.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Makes one wonder what a VPC Next would cost. $49.95?

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, cheers to competition!
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes. A very savvy step too.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It
>>> must have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was
>>> just too much.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

I would think an adjustment for the price of the current product is in
order, but not THAT much of an adjustment.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, might as make it a free download for XP and future versions of
> Windows.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Makes one wonder what a VPC Next would cost. $49.95?
>>
>> --
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well, cheers to competition!
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

An interesting question, but I'm sure that we'll never hear about it from MS
if that is one of the reasons. I think it is more likely pressure from
enterprise customers.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Might this have anything to do with VMWare having resently been aquired?
> (Make aquisition hurt, or something?)
>
> Tony. . .

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I had to buy VMWare, and got Virtual Server for free. I'm happy
>> with my purchase. Seroiusly, VMWare still has a significant advantage
>> over VS, IMHO. I don't like their networking setup as much, but they do
>> support USB devices, they do support x64 guests, and they have "teams"
>> and multiple snapshots. All of these are big items. Well, all but USB. I
>> don't actually give a hoot about that, though some do. And adding a tape
>> drive in VMWare was, frankly, trivial.
>>
>> But on price? Oh, it's going to hurt VMWare sales unless they do
>> something fairly drastic to their prices.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>> Yes. A very savvy step too.
>>>
>>> I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It
>>> must have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was
>>> just too much.

Tony Sperling

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> An interesting question, but I'm sure that we'll never hear about it from
> MS if that is one of the reasons. I think it is more likely pressure from
> enterprise customers.

I wonder, though. If that was the 'real' answer, nothing from out of Redmond
would cost more than 10 bucks! But, actually, my mind was drifting there; I
just had an exchange with Charlie, a few days earlier, when He adviced me to
get VMWare for my needs. I new of VPC, but not of the Server - mine is a
desktop, so I wouldn't want anything 'over-the-top', anyway - but I became
aware of the competition and suddenly the issues seemed 'fuzzy'.

For a desktop - is VS a product that is closer to VMWare, or is VPC the
immidiate competition? At that price, will VS (installed on Winx64) run
guest OS's the same as VPC and VMWare? What will happen now to VPC?

I am certainly not about to rush into things right at the moment, it is to
be expected that VMWare will respond. And I am leaning towards going VMWare
anyhow, they have excellent backing in the computing community. They also
have excellent documentation, I understand - something that microsoft can
peer anytime they wish to, but often do not - IIS documentation, as only one
glaring example.

There are prize reductions, and there are big prize reductions, but this is
violent? There's got to be issues about 'competition', things that one can
do and the other not. Patent issues? But all that stuff on it's own is
hardly interesting outside the business-world. The implications of it are,
however.

Tony. . .

Colin Barnhorst

Yes, VSR2 on XPx64 will run guest OS's the same as it and VPC do on x86.
The price reduction is not reflected in any reduced funcionality. MS simply
cut the price.

The price reduction does not have to be a result of competition, it can also
come from pressure from enterprise users to lesson their costs.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> An interesting question, but I'm sure that we'll never hear about it from
>> MS if that is one of the reasons. I think it is more likely pressure
>> from enterprise customers.
>>

> I wonder, though. If that was the 'real' answer, nothing from out of
> Redmond would cost more than 10 bucks! But, actually, my mind was drifting
> there; I just had an exchange with Charlie, a few days earlier, when He
> adviced me to get VMWare for my needs. I new of VPC, but not of the
> Server - mine is a desktop, so I wouldn't want anything 'over-the-top',
> anyway - but I became aware of the competition and suddenly the issues
> seemed 'fuzzy'.
>
> For a desktop - is VS a product that is closer to VMWare, or is VPC the
> immidiate competition? At that price, will VS (installed on Winx64) run
> guest OS's the same as VPC and VMWare? What will happen now to VPC?
>
> I am certainly not about to rush into things right at the moment, it is to
> be expected that VMWare will respond. And I am leaning towards going
> VMWare anyhow, they have excellent backing in the computing community.
> They also have excellent documentation, I understand - something that
> microsoft can peer anytime they wish to, but often do not - IIS
> documentation, as only one glaring example.
>
> There are prize reductions, and there are big prize reductions, but this
> is violent? There's got to be issues about 'competition', things that one
> can do and the other not. Patent issues? But all that stuff on it's own is
> hardly interesting outside the business-world. The implications of it are,
> however.
>
> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Thanks, Colin!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, VSR2 on XPx64 will run guest OS's the same as it and VPC do on x86.
> The price reduction is not reflected in any reduced funcionality. MS
> simply cut the price.
>
> The price reduction does not have to be a result of competition, it can
> also come from pressure from enterprise users to lesson their costs.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> An interesting question, but I'm sure that we'll never hear about it
>>> from MS if that is one of the reasons. I think it is more likely
>>> pressure from enterprise customers.
>>>

>> I wonder, though. If that was the 'real' answer, nothing from out of
>> Redmond would cost more than 10 bucks! But, actually, my mind was
>> drifting there; I just had an exchange with Charlie, a few days earlier,
>> when He adviced me to get VMWare for my needs. I new of VPC, but not of
>> the Server - mine is a desktop, so I wouldn't want anything
>> 'over-the-top', anyway - but I became aware of the competition and
>> suddenly the issues seemed 'fuzzy'.
>>
>> For a desktop - is VS a product that is closer to VMWare, or is VPC the
>> immidiate competition? At that price, will VS (installed on Winx64) run
>> guest OS's the same as VPC and VMWare? What will happen now to VPC?
>>
>> I am certainly not about to rush into things right at the moment, it is
>> to be expected that VMWare will respond. And I am leaning towards going
>> VMWare anyhow, they have excellent backing in the computing community.
>> They also have excellent documentation, I understand - something that
>> microsoft can peer anytime they wish to, but often do not - IIS
>> documentation, as only one glaring example.
>>
>> There are prize reductions, and there are big prize reductions, but this
>> is violent? There's got to be issues about 'competition', things that one
>> can do and the other not. Patent issues? But all that stuff on it's own
>> is hardly interesting outside the business-world. The implications of it
>> are, however.
>>
>> Tony. . .

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, almost true. VMWare does x64 guest OS's too. It'll be a while
before we have that from VS, unfortunately.

I have mixed feelings overall. Some things I like better from one, some from
the other. I'll probably continue to have both available on different
machines.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Yes, VSR2 on XPx64 will run guest OS's the same as it and VPC do on x86.
> The price reduction is not reflected in any reduced funcionality. MS
> simply cut the price.
>
> The price reduction does not have to be a result of competition, it can
> also come from pressure from enterprise users to lesson their costs.

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> An interesting question, but I'm sure that we'll never hear about it
>>> from MS if that is one of the reasons. I think it is more likely
>>> pressure from enterprise customers.
>>>

>> I wonder, though. If that was the 'real' answer, nothing from out of
>> Redmond would cost more than 10 bucks! But, actually, my mind was
>> drifting there; I just had an exchange with Charlie, a few days earlier,
>> when He adviced me to get VMWare for my needs. I new of VPC, but not of
>> the Server - mine is a desktop, so I wouldn't want anything
>> 'over-the-top', anyway - but I became aware of the competition and
>> suddenly the issues seemed 'fuzzy'.
>>
>> For a desktop - is VS a product that is closer to VMWare, or is VPC the
>> immidiate competition? At that price, will VS (installed on Winx64) run
>> guest OS's the same as VPC and VMWare? What will happen now to VPC?
>>
>> I am certainly not about to rush into things right at the moment, it is
>> to be expected that VMWare will respond. And I am leaning towards going
>> VMWare anyhow, they have excellent backing in the computing community.
>> They also have excellent documentation, I understand - something that
>> microsoft can peer anytime they wish to, but often do not - IIS
>> documentation, as only one glaring example.
>>
>> There are prize reductions, and there are big prize reductions, but this
>> is violent? There's got to be issues about 'competition', things that one
>> can do and the other not. Patent issues? But all that stuff on it's own
>> is hardly interesting outside the business-world. The implications of it
>> are, however.
>>
>> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

I'll bare that in mind, thanks. One fine day, I may find the resources (time
and money) to both upgrade the existing, as well as buying the next one too.
One good omen is: the next one will be a dual-core and an old s-754, woun't
contribute much to that on the second-hand market, and there is little
reason in carrying that memory across.

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...