Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Forget VPC or x64 and buy Virtual Server for less!

Forget VPC or x64 and buy Virtual Server for less!

Colin Barnhorst

For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it is:

Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the price
for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four processor
sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a cut from
$499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an off-the-shelf
copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual PC 2004 SP1. The
enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from $999.00). See:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx

Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production uses
(dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That should
come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn wave.

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx

On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the lowered
prices yet.

Colin Barnhorst

Subject line correction: "Forget VPC FOR...", not "Forget VPC OR..." Sorry
about that.

news:OP7SU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
> is:
>
> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual PC
> 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from $999.00).
> See:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>
> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn wave.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>
> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
> lowered prices yet.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Colin, I was so surprised by pricing scheme, I remember Virtual Server 2005
initial release was at $999. This is great news.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:OP7SU$(E-Mail Removed)...
> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
> is:
>
> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual PC
> 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from $999.00).
> See:
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>
> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn wave.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>
> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
> lowered prices yet.

Colin Barnhorst

Enterprise was $999. Standard was $499. Anyway, now you have MS
virtualization for x64.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Colin, I was so surprised by pricing scheme, I remember Virtual Server
> 2005 initial release was at $999. This is great news.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:OP7SU$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
>> is:
>>
>> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
>> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
>> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
>> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
>> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual PC
>> 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from $999.00).
>> See:
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>
>> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
>> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
>> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn
>> wave.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>>
>> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
>> lowered prices yet.
>>
>> --

Charlie Russel - MVP

Good news on pricing, this is going to be a huge step forward for
virtualization.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
> is:
> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual PC
> 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from $999.00).
> See:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>
> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn wave.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>
> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
> lowered prices yet.

Colin Barnhorst

Yes. A very savvy step too.

I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It must
have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was just too
much.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Good news on pricing, this is going to be a huge step forward for
> virtualization.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
>> is:
>> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
>> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
>> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
>> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
>> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual PC
>> 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from $999.00).
>> See:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>
>> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
>> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
>> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn
>> wave.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>>
>> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
>> lowered prices yet.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, cheers to competition!
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes. A very savvy step too.
>
> I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It
> must have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was just
> too much.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Good news on pricing, this is going to be a huge step forward for
>> virtualization.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
>>> is:
>>> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
>>> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
>>> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
>>> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
>>> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual
>>> PC
>>> 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from
>>> $999.00).
>>> See:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
>>> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
>>> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn
>>> wave.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>>>
>>> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
>>> lowered prices yet.

Colin Barnhorst

Makes one wonder what a VPC Next would cost. $49.95?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, cheers to competition!
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes. A very savvy step too.
>>
>> I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It
>> must have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was
>> just too much.
>>
>> --
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Good news on pricing, this is going to be a huge step forward for
>>> virtualization.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, I had to buy VMWare, and got Virtual Server for free. I'm happy with
my purchase. Seroiusly, VMWare still has a significant advantage over VS,
IMHO. I don't like their networking setup as much, but they do support USB
devices, they do support x64 guests, and they have "teams" and multiple
snapshots. All of these are big items. Well, all but USB. I don't actually
give a hoot about that, though some do. And adding a tape drive in VMWare
was, frankly, trivial.

But on price? Oh, it's going to hurt VMWare sales unless they do something
fairly drastic to their prices.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Yes. A very savvy step too.
>
> I wouldn't want to be a VMWare salesman reading that news, though. It
> must have been something they said. Maybe the free VMWare Player was
> just too much.
>
>> Good news on pricing, this is going to be a huge step forward for
>> virtualization.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Colin Barnhorst wrote:
>>> For those of you wanting to run virtual machines on XP Pro x64, here it
>>> is:
>>> Virtual Server 2005 Release 2 has now gone into manufacturing and the
>>> price for the Standard Edition (supported on machines with up to four
>>> processor sockets) is $99.00. That's ninety-nine dollars! Yes, that a
>>> cut from $499.00 for VS 2005 original. That means you can now buy an
>>> off-the-shelf copy of Virtual Server R2 Standard for LESS than Virtual
>>> PC 2004 SP1. The enterprise edition is only $199.00 (reduced from
>>> $999.00). See:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...r/default.mspx
>>>
>>> Windows XP Pro x64 is now listed as a supported Host for non-production
>>> uses (dev and testing). Of course, you cannot run 64-bit guests. That
>>> should come with Microsoft Virtualization Technology in the Longhorn
>>> wave.
>>>
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...soverview.mspx
>>>
>>> On-line listings, such as at PC Connections, are not yet showing the
>>> lowered prices yet.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Party favour prices. (Of course, given the way they have suddenly been
handing out Virtual Server Enterprise lately, they're almost party favours.
I've gotten 3 freebies in the last month or so. )

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64