Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Buying 64 bit PC

Buying 64 bit PC

=?Utf-8?B?amFzb25rcnVzZXI=?=

I want to buy a new x64 bit pc with Windows Professional x64 Edition. If I
do buy one will they have 64 bit drivers for the hardware? Please Tell me
some computer manufacturers who make 64 bit pc. Thanx, Jason

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, some brands will offer fully compatible components with their systems
that are pre-loaded with Windows XP x64. These tend to be their workstation
line of computers. A number of PC Manufacturers such as Alienware, Dell,
Hewlett Packard and IBM offer PCs preloaded with XP Pro x64:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...y/default.mspx
"jasonkruser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I want to buy a new x64 bit pc with Windows Professional x64 Edition. If I
> do buy one will they have 64 bit drivers for the hardware? Please Tell me
> some computer manufacturers who make 64 bit pc. Thanx, Jason

John Barnes

And a number of these manufacturers recommend regular 32-bit Windows XP on
their 64-bit computers. If you have any programs or especially hardware
that you plan to buy or bring to the computer, that doesn't come with it,
make sure to check the compatibility before you decide. Probably just have
a fallback plan to dual boot like a large number do.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, some brands will offer fully compatible components with their systems
> that are pre-loaded with Windows XP x64. These tend to be their
> workstation line of computers. A number of PC Manufacturers such as
> Alienware, Dell, Hewlett Packard and IBM offer PCs preloaded with XP Pro
> x64:
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...y/default.mspx
> "jasonkruser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I want to buy a new x64 bit pc with Windows Professional x64 Edition. If
>> do buy one will they have 64 bit drivers for the hardware? Please Tell
>> me
>> some computer manufacturers who make 64 bit pc. Thanx, Jason

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Some things to remember from Charlies recent web cast:
The initial target audience for XP Professional x64 includes the following:
- Developers
- Gamers
- Graphics, audio and media artists
- Computer-aided design and manufacturing (CAD/CAM)
- Enthusiast
(It is not recommended for casual users)

Also common issues associated with x64 when it comes to compatibility
include:
No support for 16-bit applications
All hardware device drivers are required to be 64-bit to work on x64
No support for MS-DOS applications
32-Bit Explorer extensions do not work

Others include:
No active desktop in x64
No Microsoft IntelliPoint drivers (popular one here in the ngs)
No firewall client for ISA, also no Novell netware client
Scanners and all-in-one printer driver support can be a problem
No imaging software support

More:
Limited AntiVirus support (supported ones are Avast Home 4.6, NOD 32, AVG,
eTrust 7.1 Trial, Symantec AV 10)
No Wi-Fi Protected Access 2 (WPA2) in wireless

So make sure your investment in Windows XP Professional x64 is worth the
possible trade offs, I think most would agree at least the ensure that the
computer is 64 bit enabled. You can give the XP Professional x64 Trial a
trial in a dual boot configuration with XP x86 to see if it really fits your
needs.
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...ion/trial.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> And a number of these manufacturers recommend regular 32-bit Windows XP on
> their 64-bit computers. If you have any programs or especially hardware
> that you plan to buy or bring to the computer, that doesn't come with it,
> make sure to check the compatibility before you decide. Probably just
> have a fallback plan to dual boot like a large number do.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, some brands will offer fully compatible components with their
>> systems that are pre-loaded with Windows XP x64. These tend to be their
>> workstation line of computers. A number of PC Manufacturers such as
>> Alienware, Dell, Hewlett Packard and IBM offer PCs preloaded with XP Pro
>> x64:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/6...y/default.mspx
>> "jasonkruser" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I want to buy a new x64 bit pc with Windows Professional x64 Edition. If
>>> do buy one will they have 64 bit drivers for the hardware? Please Tell
>>> me
>>> some computer manufacturers who make 64 bit pc. Thanx, Jason

Colin Barnhorst

And the webcast itself is at
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=909...20120121120120
Download and view.

I bought my AMD64 Athlon x2 4400+ computer from CyberPower. I am very
pleased with it. Consider simply keeping your present computer for awhile
for any situations not supported by x64 yet. I use mine side-by-side.

news:eDEx$(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

shorter URL: http://support.microsoft.com/Default.aspx?id=909753

all that stuff after is not required.