Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 on second drive

64 on second drive

jefe

I would like to install xp64 on a second drive. I tried once before and had
trouble booting.(ntldr missing)
xp32 already installed on C: drive and working fine. What am I forgetting
to do?

TIA
Jefe

Colin Barnhorst

I worked fine for me. You would have the problem you describe if you tried
to install x64 in the same partition as x86. Obviously that would not be
the case when installing on a second drive. Just make sure that you are
selecting the second drive when the installer asks where you want to install
x64.

"jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to install xp64 on a second drive. I tried once before and
>had trouble booting.(ntldr missing)
> xp32 already installed on C: drive and working fine. What am I forgetting
> to do?
>
> TIA
> Jefe

jefe

I did and it installed, but would not boot with the 64 option. 64 runs
fine on my system alone. it is not compatible with just about everything i
have. i went back to media edition. when trying to run it on a second
drive. no luck.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I worked fine for me. You would have the problem you describe if you tried
>to install x64 in the same partition as x86. Obviously that would not be
>the case when installing on a second drive. Just make sure that you are
>selecting the second drive when the installer asks where you want to
>install x64.

> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I would like to install xp64 on a second drive. I tried once before and
>>had trouble booting.(ntldr missing)
>> xp32 already installed on C: drive and working fine. What am I
>> forgetting to do?
>>
>> TIA
>> Jefe

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Lets make something clear, is this "second drive" a partition? Could list
some the software and hardware products you have encountered incompatibility
with? We might be able to direct you to appropriate updates or work arounds?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>I did and it installed, but would not boot with the 64 option. 64 runs
>fine on my system alone. it is not compatible with just about everything i
>have. i went back to media edition. when trying to run it on a second
>drive. no luck.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I worked fine for me. You would have the problem you describe if you
>>tried to install x64 in the same partition as x86. Obviously that would
>>not be the case when installing on a second drive. Just make sure that
>>you are selecting the second drive when the installer asks where you want
>>to install x64.
>>
>> --
>> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I would like to install xp64 on a second drive. I tried once before and
>>>had trouble booting.(ntldr missing)
>>> xp32 already installed on C: drive and working fine. What am I
>>> forgetting to do?
>>>
>>> TIA
>>> Jefe

jefe

Sorry,
It's a second hard drive.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Lets make something clear, is this "second drive" a partition? Could list
> some the software and hardware products you have encountered
> incompatibility with? We might be able to direct you to appropriate
> updates or work arounds?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>I did and it installed, but would not boot with the 64 option. 64 runs
>>fine on my system alone. it is not compatible with just about everything
>>i have. i went back to media edition. when trying to run it on a second
>>drive. no luck.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I worked fine for me. You would have the problem you describe if you
>>>tried to install x64 in the same partition as x86. Obviously that would
>>>not be the case when installing on a second drive. Just make sure that
>>>you are selecting the second drive when the installer asks where you want
>>>to install x64.
>>>
>>> --
>>> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Colin Barnhorst

Is it a SATA drive? What is your mobo?

"jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Sorry,
> It's a second hard drive.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lets make something clear, is this "second drive" a partition? Could list
>> some the software and hardware products you have encountered
>> incompatibility with? We might be able to direct you to appropriate
>> updates or work arounds?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>I did and it installed, but would not boot with the 64 option. 64 runs
>>>fine on my system alone. it is not compatible with just about everything
>>>i have. i went back to media edition. when trying to run it on a second
>>>drive. no luck.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

If its a SATA Drive as Colin mentioned you will need to load the F6 Drivers
during the text based part of setup. You are most likely to find drivers for
it on http://www.planetamd64.com when you register.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
> Sorry,
> It's a second hard drive.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Lets make something clear, is this "second drive" a partition? Could list
>> some the software and hardware products you have encountered
>> incompatibility with? We might be able to direct you to appropriate
>> updates or work arounds?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>>I did and it installed, but would not boot with the 64 option. 64 runs
>>>fine on my system alone. it is not compatible with just about everything
>>>i have. i went back to media edition. when trying to run it on a second
>>>drive. no luck.
>>>

>>> "Colin Barnhorst" <colinbarharst(remove)@msn.com> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

jefe

Not sata

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If its a SATA Drive as Colin mentioned you will need to load the F6
> Drivers during the text based part of setup. You are most likely to find
> drivers for it on http://www.planetamd64.com when you register.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>> Sorry,
>> It's a second hard drive.

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Lets make something clear, is this "second drive" a partition? Could
>>> list some the software and hardware products you have encountered
>>> incompatibility with? We might be able to direct you to appropriate
>>> updates or work arounds?
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...

John Barnes

How many times do you have to be asked for details about your system. Do
you want to get help or just play posting.
In addition to the information asked for by Andre, what procedure did you
use to install x64. Did you make any BIOS changes (changes to boot order),
unplug any drives. At what point of the install did you get the ntldr
missing message, after text, after gui when you get to the final boot?
Lastly, when you finish and boot to x86, look in computer management and
see what your system drive is, do you have an ntldr file on both drives or
on which drive. What size is the file and creation date
Please provide the above information and maybe someone can help solve your
problem.

"jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Not sata

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If its a SATA Drive as Colin mentioned you will need to load the F6
>> Drivers during the text based part of setup. You are most likely to find
>> drivers for it on http://www.planetamd64.com when you register.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "jefe" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed) ...
>>> Sorry,
>>> It's a second hard drive.
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

To save time while you are at it, how do you have your drives set up. ie.
x86 primary master x64 primary slave or possibly, x86 primary master and
x86 secondary master. Do they show up properly durning POST