Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Windows 64 and Virtual PC 2004

Windows 64 and Virtual PC 2004

=?Utf-8?B?TlNXREFWRQ==?=

How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Don Awalt

I don't believe you can. You can run the next version of Virtual Server,
which was in beta but should be out pretty soon.

"NSWDAVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Andrew Ahearne

Don't right you can't though Virtual Server 2005 R2 can and you can use your
existing virtual machines with it. Additionally you can use VMWare Player to
run those VMs on x64 too and best of all it's free.

"Don Awalt" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I don't believe you can. You can run the next version of Virtual Server,
>which was in beta but should be out pretty soon.
>

> "NSWDAVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Charlie Russel - MVP

You can't. Virtual PC doesn't support x64 Edition. The soon to be released
Virtual Server 2005 R2 will support x64 Edition as a host, but not as a
guest. VMWare 5.0 supports x64 as a host, and the soon to be releases VMWare
5.5 supports x64 as a guest and as a host.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

NSWDAVE wrote:
> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There is a Virtual PC Express coming out in March 2006, maybe it will
finally support x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"NSWDAVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Mike

NSWDAVE wrote:
> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

I have just tried VMWare and Virtual PC, on 32 bit at first before
transferring to Windows64.
VMWare is the best for technical reasons, Virtual PC for ease of use.
Virtual PC for me has limitations, desktop graphics setup is too
limited. VMware is better, seems to be faster and is the one I'm going
for. You can get a 30 day copy of the beta version 5.5 direct from
VMWare. Its worth having a trial especially as it cost nothing.
Mike

Colin Barnhorst

Andre, I think that is only available to customers who subscribe to Software
Assurance.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a Virtual PC Express coming out in March 2006, maybe it will
> finally support x64.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "NSWDAVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Colin Barnhorst

An edition of VPC for x64 has not yet been announced. If it is it will
probably not be an update to VPC 2004 but will be a new product. Do not buy
VPC today with the expectation that it will eventually be upgraded for
64-bits for free. It may work that way but the new edition of Virtual
Server did not.

"NSWDAVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah, thats where I read it, but you never know, they could make a retail
option too.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:ei1W$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre, I think that is only available to customers who subscribe to
> Software Assurance.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a Virtual PC Express coming out in March 2006, maybe it will
>> finally support x64.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "NSWDAVE" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> How can I runn Virtual PC 2004 on my New windows 64 Box??

Colin Barnhorst

No retail edition will appear. It is targeted to volume license users as a
value-add feature. No new bits for VPC are on the horizon based on
announcements to date. The next bits for VPC are likely to be a VPC Next
(2007?) and don't expect an upgrade path from VPC 2004 SP1 to VPC Next. It
most likely will be an R2 rather than an SP2. One reason is that since VPC
2004 SP1 can't be installed on x64 one could not apply a service pack to it
that enables x64 support. Catch 22. One would have to have a copy that was
already x64 compatible in first place. Hence, R2.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...