Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Anti-Virus communities lack of support for XP Pro x64 edition

Anti-Virus communities lack of support for XP Pro x64 edition

=?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack of
support for XP Pro x64 edition

Well,
I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus support
from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or rather
the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not from
the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to make
a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love them
or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can! Force
them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market with
a need for a mainstream solution.

Links:

Symantec feedback form:
https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss...oduct+feedback

McAfee feedback form: I don’t know where whey have this feature but I am
sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it

warpsix

Slice wrote:
> We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack of
> support for XP Pro x64 edition
>
> Well,
> I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
> with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
> all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus support
> from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or rather
> the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not from
> the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to make
> a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love them
> or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
> they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
> know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
> corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
> challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can! Force
> them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market with
> a need for a mainstream solution.
>
> Links:
>
> Symantec feedback form:
> https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss...oduct+feedback
>
> McAfee feedback form: I don’t know where whey have this feature but I am
> sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it

I for one am very happy with my NOD32 anti virus.
symantec lost a lifelong customer by not being ready for windows 64-bit
edition when I was.not to mention America online lost my $9.99 per month
for the same reason.I have a long memory and I will not buy from
corporations that won't keep up or support my products that I have bought.
I was very forgiving while Windows xp 64bit edition was in beta.but the
day i bought my version they should've been ready.

John Barnes

When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even if
everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players, its
rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom line
(profits).

news(E-Mail Removed)...

"warpsix" wrote:
> I for one am very happy with my NOD32 anti virus.
> symantec lost a lifelong customer by not being ready for windows 64-bit
> edition when I was.not to mention America online lost my $9.99 per month
> for the same reason.I have a long memory and I will not buy from
> corporations that won't keep up or support my products that I have bought.
> I was very forgiving while Windows xp 64bit edition was in beta.but the
> day i bought my version they should've been ready.

You are correct; they should have been ready with a compatible consumer
product when XP Pro x64 went gold. Unfortunately they weren’t and this is
what is angering me. I am glad you have found a new solution but I don’t
think every one wants to go that same route (I for one have been very happy
with Symantec’s Norton Anti-Virus and do not wish to change). I think most of
us would rather just see them release consumer products for x64. I for one
love Norton anti-virus and have been using it for years with no problems and
dependable virus protection, so I am not willing to through the baby out with
the bathwater as they say just because Symantec (and McAfee for that matter
even though I am not a big McAfee fan) underestimated the anger and
discontent that has arose because they didn’t (and still don’t) have a
consumer product available for us x64 users. Anyways, I appreciate your
comments and I think the “cause” would be better off if you voiced that very
same opinion to Symantec personally as well. I posted a URL in my original
topic post that will take you right where you need to go to send feedback to
Symantec on this very issue.

Thanks,

Dennis Gordon

The first thing I do with every storebuilt machine that comes into our
office is take anything from Mcaffee, Symantec or Norton's off of it and
replace it with AVG or (now) NOD32. It has always puzzled me why these
products are considered essential for anything other than nagging you into
buying more of their junk. Just my opinion, of course, but I really don't
think the 64 bit community is suffering *at all* from the lack of support
from these programs...

"Slice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack

of
> support for XP Pro x64 edition
>
> Well,
> I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
> with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
> all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus

support
> from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or

rather
> the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not

from
> the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to

make
> a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love

them
> or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
> they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
> know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
> corporate edition and its price tag when you don't need or want it). I
> challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!

Force
> them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market

with
> a need for a mainstream solution.
>
> Links:
>
> Symantec feedback form:

https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss...oduct+feedback

> McAfee feedback form: I don't know where whey have this feature but I am
> sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it

Colin Barnhorst

I use eTrust AV 7.1 from Computer Associates and am quite happy with it. I
have gotten support from CA for running it on x64 and have no concerns. I
have also used NOD32.

"Slice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "warpsix" wrote:
>> I for one am very happy with my NOD32 anti virus.
>> symantec lost a lifelong customer by not being ready for windows 64-bit
>> edition when I was.not to mention America online lost my $9.99 per month
>> for the same reason.I have a long memory and I will not buy from
>> corporations that won't keep up or support my products that I have
>> bought.
>> I was very forgiving while Windows xp 64bit edition was in beta.but the
>> day i bought my version they should've been ready.

> You are correct; they should have been ready with a compatible consumer
> product when XP Pro x64 went gold. Unfortunately they weren't and this is
> what is angering me. I am glad you have found a new solution but I don't
> think every one wants to go that same route (I for one have been very
> happy
> with Symantec's Norton Anti-Virus and do not wish to change). I think most
> of
> us would rather just see them release consumer products for x64. I for one
> love Norton anti-virus and have been using it for years with no problems
> and
> dependable virus protection, so I am not willing to through the baby out
> with
> the bathwater as they say just because Symantec (and McAfee for that
> matter
> even though I am not a big McAfee fan) underestimated the anger and
> discontent that has arose because they didn't (and still don't) have a
> consumer product available for us x64 users. Anyways, I appreciate your
> comments and I think the "cause" would be better off if you voiced that
> very
> same opinion to Symantec personally as well. I posted a URL in my original
> topic post that will take you right where you need to go to send feedback
> Symantec on this very issue.
>
> Thanks,

=?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

"John Barnes" wrote:

> When there is a decent installed base they will respond. For now, even if
> everyone screams, no one (except a midget) can hear. Fact: for little
> companies the extra business may be worth the effort, for major players, its
> rimarily an annoyance and doesn't do anything positive for the bottom line
> (profits).

you are correct in you observations based on the current situation (x64
deployment right now is still low when compared to deployments of XP SP2) but
what you are not taking into account is the long term effects on sales and
profits. If Symantec (and McAfee) do not release there software now (or soon)
they will loose what once were loyal customers (warpsix is a perfect example)
to other emerging solutions therefore reducing sales, market share, and as
you so eloquently put it, there “bottom line” or profits. And this
self-imposed (they could develop and release anytime) trend will not stop
with XP Pro x64 edition; it will continue on to Vista and operating systems
after Vista because customers that were once loyal will have a bad taste in
there mouths over the abandonment felt by many users now. This is just bad
business on Symantec’s and McAfee’s part. They are making themselves
venerable to competition by not supporting XP x64 edition and this damage
will have lasting effects.

PLUS, we all know that there software isn’t their cash cow, it is the virus
definition updates that make them the big bucks.

Also note: that consumer voices can and are a very effective weapon to be
used in these situations. The more voices they hear from the more they have
to pay attention to what we are demanding. Don’t underestimate your power as
a consumer, you vote with your wallet and they certainly pay attention to
that, so just do me a favor and drop some feed back to Symantec and McAfee
even if you don’t think it will help, because there is strength in numbers
and every little bit helps.

Thanks,

=?Utf-8?B?U2xpY2U=?=

"Dennis Gordon" wrote:

> The first thing I do with every storebuilt machine that comes into our
> office is take anything from Mcaffee, Symantec or Norton's off of it and
> replace it with AVG or (now) NOD32. It has always puzzled me why these
> products are considered essential for anything other than nagging you into
> buying more of their junk. Just my opinion, of course, but I really don't
> think the 64 bit community is suffering *at all* from the lack of support
> from these programs...

I disagree, but you are entitled to your own opinion.

Andre Da Costa

In the mean time, go with whats already out there, NOD32, AVG, and eTrust
7.1 trial. There is also corporate edition of Norton AntiVirus (v10), which
cannot be updated through the parent server to support x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"Slice" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> We all need to Voice our discontent with the Anti-Virus communities lack
> of
> support for XP Pro x64 edition
>
> Well,
> I am a happy user of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is a great OS
> with great speed and great security. However, there is one problem that we
> all probably know about and need to unite to address the Anti-Virus
> support
> from the main stream community (Symantec and McAfee most notably), or
> rather
> the lack there of. Yes there is support from some small players but not
> from
> the mainstream players (Symantec and McAfee), and this is why we have to
> make
> a big stink about it to the big players like McAfee and Symantec! Love
> them
> or hate them they are the two largest players in the anti-virus world and
> they have yet to release consumer versions of their antivirus software (I
> know Symantec released its corporate edition for x64 but who wants the
> corporate edition and its price tag when you don’t need or want it). I
> challenge all of you to make as big a stink over this issue as you can!
> Force
> them to hear our voices and acknowledge our presents as a viable market
> with
> a need for a mainstream solution.
>
> Links:
>
> Symantec feedback form:
> https://secure1.symantec.com/discuss...oduct+feedback
>
> McAfee feedback form: I don’t know where whey have this feature but I am
> sure they do. If you know the URL for it please post it

Tony Sperling

You are right, of course. Although, personally, I's never impressed by
anything from Norton. I needed a firewall and stumbled on a bundled offer
from McAffe and ran that for 90 days, but it couldn't even supress their own
junk e-mail, so I didn't renew that subscription - otherwise, I rather liked
it. When I went 64bit, I responded to word in this group about Avast, and
now I am impressed! The fact alone, that it more or less consistently breaks
the shutdown process on my system - requiring me to log off, before shutting
down, and I still like it, that is persuation.

I am totally sympathetic to meeting incompetence from those that fail their
supporters, with open discontent, but don't let it ruin your sleep. . .there
is much to chose from.

Tony. . .