Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > after security update

after security update

warpsix

my computer found a security update security update for windows xp x64
edition (kb896424)and installed it yesterday
after the reboot my display properties were all messed up and i could
not change it back to what it was before(was using default xp).I
uninstalled the update and after the reboot the display was back to
normal.anybody else have this issue. charle this is on my asus a8v
deluxe did this happen to yours also?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Checking now -- it didn't muck up my settings in Server, but there's less
going ont there. I'm rebooting and loading in the XP side of one of the
machines. (the other is busy being a Domain Controller this week, and a
VMWare server for two other DCs. )

Though it's important to point out that it didn't cause a problem on the
Server 2k3 machine that was running as a Terminal Server in Application
Server mode. It worked just fine there, and the display settings were as I'd
expect. Video is ATI (9600xt with 256 Mb), and I haven't updated the ATI
driver in a while.

Coming down to that machine right now are the security update, .NET 2.0, and
a couple of Office patches.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

warpsix wrote:
> my computer found a security update security update for windows xp x64
> edition (kb896424)and installed it yesterday
> after the reboot my display properties were all messed up and i could
> not change it back to what it was before(was using default xp).I
> uninstalled the update and after the reboot the display was back to
> normal.anybody else have this issue. charle this is on my asus a8v
> deluxe did this happen to yours also?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No issues at all. Everything looks as I'd expect.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> No issues at all. Everything looks as I'd expect.

well thanks for looking into it
I printed the display settings and reinstalled the update .still have
the same issue, balloon tips had black background.and other small
problems that i could not change back.I guess it would not hurt to do a
driver update on the video (geforce 5700 256meg)thanks again for looking
into it.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

No problems after the security update down here in South America.
Newest drivers for your 5700 card are version 81.85.
Here's the download link for the English only version
http://download.nvidia.com/Windows/8...glish_whql.exe
Carlos
"warpsix" wrote:

> Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> > No issues at all. Everything looks as I'd expect.
> >

> well thanks for looking into it
> I printed the display settings and reinstalled the update .still have
> the same issue, balloon tips had black background.and other small
> problems that i could not change back.I guess it would not hurt to do a
> driver update on the video (geforce 5700 256meg)thanks again for looking
> into it.

Charlie Russel - MVP

What build are you running? Are you still by any chance running the CPP/Beta
eval build?

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> What build are you running? Are you still by any chance running the CPP/Beta
> eval build?

It happend on my c: drive. that is my test drive (whatever works on c:
will be installed to the sata d: drive )and c: is using the cpp
it did NOT happen on the sata drive which is the bought version. i
belive you said in one of your post something about "using it will cause
you no end of grief" I hate it when your right thanks again

Charlie Russel - MVP

Well, I'm sorry for your grief. But I did warn you.

This is useful information, however, because that makes two people who have
had a problem wiht MS05-053 and both of them were running the CPP version.

LISTEN UP, FOLKS! THE LICENSE FOR THE CPP VERSION IS OVER. STOP USING IT.

I've also logged an issue with MS on this, because in my opinion they should
not have offered the upgrade to a CPP machine, nor installed on it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64