Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > dual-core and Vista

dual-core and Vista

=?Utf-8?B?RS1tYW4=?=

Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should spend
the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it may
be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps, so
perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.

Dennis Gordon

Vista or not... go dual core. I work at a newspaper. Lots of production in
InDesign/PShop/Acrobat etc. under deadline. The difference between my old P4
(RDRAM, RAID 0, 2.6gz) and my new 3800x2 @ 2.55ghz (all SCSI) is ridiculous.
The machine just doesn't slow down. You say that you're running intense
graphics apps. Wanna run a bunch of 'em at the same time? It's easily the
best upgrade I ever made, and it performs excellently in XP 64 bit. I
imagine Vista will only be an improvement, but that's still a way off. You
can benefit from dual core right now...

"E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should

spend
> the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it

may
> be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps, so
> perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.

Default User

Yes, Vista will support dual core.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should
> spend
> the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it
> may
> be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps, so
> perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.

Colin Barnhorst

Hey, Andre...er DeFault User.

"Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, Vista will support dual core.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
>> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should
>> spend
>> the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it
>> may
>> be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps, so
>> perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.

Colin Barnhorst

Vista is designed to work on multi-core (not just dual-core) cpu's as well
as multi-threading. So was XP. Windows 2000 Pro and XP Pro have long
worked on dual processor systems as well.

"E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should
> spend
> the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it
> may
> be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps, so
> perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, that's a perfect environment for both dual core and SCSI. Amazing what
a different SCSI can make. Now, SAS is coming and that looks very
interesting. Saw a 12 drive array that would fit on my desktop easily -- all
72Gb SAS attached 2.5" drives. Of course the price...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> Vista or not... go dual core. I work at a newspaper. Lots of production in
> InDesign/PShop/Acrobat etc. under deadline. The difference between my old
> P4 (RDRAM, RAID 0, 2.6gz) and my new 3800x2 @ 2.55ghz (all SCSI) is
> ridiculous. The machine just doesn't slow down. You say that you're
> running intense graphics apps. Wanna run a bunch of 'em at the same time?
> It's easily the best upgrade I ever made, and it performs excellently in
> XP 64 bit. I imagine Vista will only be an improvement, but that's still
> a way off. You can benefit from dual core right now...
>
> "E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
>> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should
>> spend the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of
>> it, it may be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense
>> graphics apps, so perhaps I should just focus on the single-core
>> processor speed.

Dennis Gordon

I know that many people disdain SCSI as not worth it over SATA, but I love
it. I regularly troll Ebay for 15K U320 drives. If you're patient you can
save a bunch. Of course, I'm using LSI U160 controllers (dumb question: are
U320 controllers too fast for the PCI bus? Do they require PCI-X?), but I do
like that rapid access and the better build quality....

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, that's a perfect environment for both dual core and SCSI. Amazing
> what a different SCSI can make. Now, SAS is coming and that looks very
> interesting. Saw a 12 drive array that would fit on my desktop easily --
> all 72Gb SAS attached 2.5" drives. Of course the price...
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> Vista or not... go dual core. I work at a newspaper. Lots of production
>> in
>> InDesign/PShop/Acrobat etc. under deadline. The difference between my old
>> P4 (RDRAM, RAID 0, 2.6gz) and my new 3800x2 @ 2.55ghz (all SCSI) is
>> ridiculous. The machine just doesn't slow down. You say that you're
>> running intense graphics apps. Wanna run a bunch of 'em at the same time?
>> It's easily the best upgrade I ever made, and it performs excellently in
>> XP 64 bit. I imagine Vista will only be an improvement, but that's still
>> a way off. You can benefit from dual core right now...
>>
>> "E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
>>> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should
>>> spend the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of
>>> it, it may be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense
>>> graphics apps, so perhaps I should just focus on the single-core
>>> processor speed.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Its OE, I need to type in the correct account information, sorry.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hey, Andre...er DeFault User.

> "Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, Vista will support dual core.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>> "E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anyone know if Vista will be designed specifically around dual-core
>>> CPUs? I don't run multiple apps, and I just want to know if I should
>>> spend
>>> the extra money on a dual-core. If Vista will take advantage of it, it
>>> may
>>> be worth getting. I'm just going to be running intense graphics apps,
>>> so
>>> perhaps I should just focus on the single-core processor speed.

John Barnes

An Andre by any other name is still an Andre. All your posts are signed so
I guess blocking is the only problem.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its OE, I need to type in the correct account information, sorry.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Hey, Andre...er DeFault User.
>>
>> --
>> "Default User" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Yes, Vista will support dual core.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>> "E-man" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. The thing many folks don't realize about SCSI is that it's not so much
about absolute speed, as its ability to multitask without dragging the
system down. Makes a huge difference in a real world system that is used for
more than Word or Outlook.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64