Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Intel EM64T

Intel EM64T

Jex

Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel EM64T
computer?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yes, you get to use Windows XP Professional x64 and still be able to run 32
bit Windows if you choose.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel EM64T
> computer?

Josef Gonko

Many more advantages than just that!

1) Its necessary to effectively use more than 3GB of memory (32-bit boot.ini
/PAE switch isn't all that efffective).
2) You're on the forefront of what will be the OS standard of the future.
3) You'll quickly learn which companies fully support their peripherals and
those that expect you to buy their newest card or printer just to get your
money (of course, you dump the latter companies and let everyone know about
it too).
4) Complex apps and games will soon take advantage of the huge memory model
and larger registers.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, you get to use Windows XP Professional x64 and still be able to run
> 32 bit Windows if you choose.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel
>> EM64T computer?

Andre Da Costa

But are you sure Jex wants or even can afford that power or even need it?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Josef Gonko" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Many more advantages than just that!
>
> 1) Its necessary to effectively use more than 3GB of memory (32-bit
> boot.ini /PAE switch isn't all that efffective).
> 2) You're on the forefront of what will be the OS standard of the future.
> 3) You'll quickly learn which companies fully support their peripherals
> and those that expect you to buy their newest card or printer just to get
> your money (of course, you dump the latter companies and let everyone know
> about it too).
> 4) Complex apps and games will soon take advantage of the huge memory
> model and larger registers.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Yes, you get to use Windows XP Professional x64 and still be able to run
>> 32 bit Windows if you choose.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel
>>> EM64T computer?

Colin Barnhorst

Are you asking if it is better to install x64 on an Intel versus an AMD
processor? I prefer the AMD64 Athlon x2 line over the Intels. AMD
pioneered x86 compatible 64-bit cpu's.

"Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel EM64T
> computer?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Notice how I ducked that...

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Colin Barnhorst wrote:
> Are you asking if it is better to install x64 on an Intel versus an AMD
> processor? I prefer the AMD64 Athlon x2 line over the Intels. AMD
> pioneered x86 compatible 64-bit cpu's.
>
>> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel
>> EM64T computer?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

To be honest, I don't think its about pioneering, its really about value for
money and meeting high volume requirements. Intel delivers that and they
know the market and they when users are ready for something. Although I'm
disappointed that they did not pioneer it along with AMD.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

news:uQ3aB%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are you asking if it is better to install x64 on an Intel versus an AMD
> processor? I prefer the AMD64 Athlon x2 line over the Intels. AMD
> pioneered x86 compatible 64-bit cpu's.

> "Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel
>> EM64T computer?

Jex

Thanks everyone

I got EM64 hardware
The problem now is that I can not boot using Windows 2003 64-bit CD ROM

I got 32-bit Windows XP on the same machine, when I insert the Windows 2003
64-bit CD ROM under that Windows XP I got "not valid 32 bit application"
error message, but I can brows the CD. But I can not boot from it

"Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel EM64T
> computer?

Mercury

[base on the assumption that you don't have 64 bit h/w].

Send the kit and kaboodle back - insist that they supply you with a usable
64bit system or refund.

IMO, intel has shuffled there product codes into such a randomised,
senseless, and illogical naming convention that it invites wrong purchases.
Because they make this invitation, they should bear the cost and
repurcussions. I suspect strongly that this is a major deterrent for many to
buying Intel h/w - just what do you get & if the shop has 1 digit wrong
somewhere and you don't notice your hosed.

With AMD it is hugely clearer what to get and what not to get.

Intel has Celeron D and Pentium D. Now whats the difference?

"Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks everyone
>
> I got EM64 hardware
> The problem now is that I can not boot using Windows 2003 64-bit CD ROM
>
> I got 32-bit Windows XP on the same machine, when I insert the Windows
> 2003 64-bit CD ROM under that Windows XP I got "not valid 32 bit
> application" error message, but I can brows the CD. But I can not boot
> from it
>
> "Jex" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Is there any advantage in installing Windows 64-bit version on Intel
>> EM64T computer?

Mercury

In IT, being a year late is a complete no show.

2 Years and they still aren't back in the market as they should be.

There are positive and interesting signs though - but still 6 months at
least out.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...