Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition

Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition

Steve Foster [SBS MVP]

Barb Bowman wrote:

>if you have more than 1 gig of memory:
>
>bcdedit -set TRUNCATEMEMORY 1073741824
>
>there's a bug in the base broadcom wireless driver

Well, I finally got around to installing the December CTP (5270), and
thought I'd take another look. Had to dig around to find this again, but
it meant that I have everything working in Vista x64 on my Ferrari.

Now if only the Virtual Server 2005 R2 networking was functional...
(starts hunting)

--
Steve Foster [SBS MVP]
---------------------------------------

Barb Bowman

yup

On Tue, 14 Feb 2006 12:33:55 -0800, "Steve Foster [SBS MVP]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Had to dig around to find this again, but
>it meant that I have everything working in Vista x64 on my Ferrari.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone Columnist

=?Utf-8?B?cGZvcmQ=?=

Can you help me with my Acer 4006WLMi. I'm trying to go the other way, Mine
came with win XP X64 and I would like to dual boot to win xp pro. Everytime
(3 now) that I install xp pro on d: partition it all goes well til I try to
boot into win X64 and I getmissing or corrucpt ntoskrnl.exe. I then have to
use the backup disk to restore to original and loose everything. Thanks for
any help. Pat

"kh" wrote:

> New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
>
> Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment after
> upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual boot Windows
> XP x64 Edition.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> __
> Kristen Heller
> Site Manager, vendor [MS]

John Barnes

Easiest way is to copy 2 files (ntldr and ntdetect.com) into a new folder on
your C drive. Do your install. Then boot into the xp pro system and go to
the c drive and copy the files back to the C drive replacing the two which
were installed by your xp install.

"pford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you help me with my Acer 4006WLMi. I'm trying to go the other way,
> Mine
> came with win XP X64 and I would like to dual boot to win xp pro.
> Everytime
> (3 now) that I install xp pro on d: partition it all goes well til I try
> boot into win X64 and I getmissing or corrucpt ntoskrnl.exe. I then have
> use the backup disk to restore to original and loose everything. Thanks
> for
> any help. Pat
>
> "kh" wrote:
>
>> New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
>>
>> Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment
>> after
>> upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual boot
>> Windows
>> XP x64 Edition.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
>>
>> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

>> rights.
>>
>> __
>> Kristen Heller
>> Site Manager, vendor [MS]

Charlie Russel - MVP

See my blog on dual booting. Scroll to the section headed Wrong Order or
something like that. Should fix it for you.

http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../21/76180.aspx

HTH.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

pford wrote:
> Can you help me with my Acer 4006WLMi. I'm trying to go the other way,
> Mine came with win XP X64 and I would like to dual boot to win xp pro.
> Everytime (3 now) that I install xp pro on d: partition it all goes well
> til I try to boot into win X64 and I getmissing or corrucpt ntoskrnl.exe.
> I then have to use the backup disk to restore to original and loose
> everything. Thanks for any help. Pat
>
> "kh" wrote:
>
>> New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
>>
>> Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment
>> after upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual
>> boot Windows XP x64 Edition.
>>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
>>
>> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

>> rights.
>>
>> __
>> Kristen Heller
>> Site Manager, vendor [MS]

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFN1bmRpbg==?=

Boot up using the Win-XP PRO 64-bit CD
Startup and select Recovery Console
Select the item listed for where your 64-bit OS version is located (mine is
D, therefore item number 2, yours would be C:windows, therefore item number 1)
Respond to the Adminsitrator password prompt (blank if you didn't set it up,
therefore press enter)

-- The " x " on the next line would be replaced with the CD-ROM Drive letter
Copy x:\i386\ndldr c:\
-- respond with yes to overlay this file

You could also replace the NtDetect.exe file, but I have found that this
typically isn't necessary.

Remove the Win-XP OS CD from the Drive
Reboot the computer

Select to startup using your Win-XP x64 configuration

Magic... the problem should be fixed.

-------------- What you did is to replace the version of the file (these
files) that were loaded down onto your "C" Primary Partition (where you do
the bootup and selection process in Multi-Boot mode). When you installed the
WIN-XP PRO into partition "D", you overlayed those older versions of the
files listed with back level code and configuration that work with WIN-XP
PRO, but not with WIN-XP PRO x64 Edition. So, you reload the newer version
of the files from the Bootable Win-XP PRO x64 OS CD-ROM. When you next boot
and select to operate the Win-XP PRO x64 Edition, the prior error message
should be no longer there and 64-bit works.

"kh" wrote:

> New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
>
> Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment after
> upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual boot Windows
> XP x64 Edition.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
>
> Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> __
> Kristen Heller
> Site Manager, vendor [MS]

=?Utf-8?B?cGZvcmQ=?=

Thanks for all the help. I can't get it to work yet. First I don't have
original windows xp x64 disk just restore disk acer sends with the laptop and
they just have images on them. What I have tryed is to do a restore with acer
disk and copyed ntldr and ntdetect.com to a new folder on c: partition and
then install winxp on d: partition and after install is complete I copyed
files from temp folder to the c:\i386 folder and try to reboot and I get
windows could not start because file is missing or corrupt <windows
root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe please re-install a copy of the above file. So I
restored again and this time I copyed files ntldr, ntdetect.com and
ntoskrnl.exe and for good measure I also copyed the c;\amd64, c:\i386 and
c:\windows\system32 folders with all contents. Re-installed win xp on d: and
replaced first files and no go, so I replaced the 3 folders and it still
would not work. Help please..

"Dan Sundin" wrote:

> Boot up using the Win-XP PRO 64-bit CD
> Startup and select Recovery Console
> Select the item listed for where your 64-bit OS version is located (mine is
> D, therefore item number 2, yours would be C:windows, therefore item number 1)
> Respond to the Adminsitrator password prompt (blank if you didn't set it up,
> therefore press enter)
>
> -- The " x " on the next line would be replaced with the CD-ROM Drive letter
> Copy x:\i386\ndldr c:\
> -- respond with yes to overlay this file
>
> You could also replace the NtDetect.exe file, but I have found that this
> typically isn't necessary.
>
> Remove the Win-XP OS CD from the Drive
> Reboot the computer
>
> Select to startup using your Win-XP x64 configuration
>
> Magic... the problem should be fixed.
>

> -------------- What you did is to replace the version of the file (these
> files) that were loaded down onto your "C" Primary Partition (where you do
> the bootup and selection process in Multi-Boot mode). When you installed the
> WIN-XP PRO into partition "D", you overlayed those older versions of the
> files listed with back level code and configuration that work with WIN-XP
> PRO, but not with WIN-XP PRO x64 Edition. So, you reload the newer version
> of the files from the Bootable Win-XP PRO x64 OS CD-ROM. When you next boot
> and select to operate the Win-XP PRO x64 Edition, the prior error message
> should be no longer there and 64-bit works.
>
> "kh" wrote:
>
> > New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
> >
> > Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment after
> > upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual boot Windows
> > XP x64 Edition.
> >
> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
> >
> > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

> > __
> > Kristen Heller
> > Site Manager, vendor [MS]

John Barnes

Assuming you copied the two files from C:\ into the temporary folder, you
replace them from the folder to C:\ after you have installed XP.
They don't go into ANY folder and they are not in ANY folder when you make
the copies. They may not show on the drive due to being hidden, so you may
need to change your folder options to show hidden and system files or
include them in any search you do. Since you don't have an install CD you
can't use the blog of Charlie.

> [...]
>> files listed with back level code and configuration that work with WIN-XP
>> PRO, but not with WIN-XP PRO x64 Edition. So, you reload the newer
>> version
>> of the files from the Bootable Win-XP PRO x64 OS CD-ROM. When you next
>> boot
>> and select to operate the Win-XP PRO x64 Edition, the prior error message
>> should be no longer there and 64-bit works.
>>
>> "kh" wrote:
>>
>> > New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
>> >
>> > Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment
>> > after
>> > upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual boot
>> > Windows
>> > XP x64 Edition.
>> >
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
>> >
>> > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.

=?Utf-8?B?RGFuIFN1bmRpbg==?=

You would save the NTLDR, NTDETECT.COM files from your Win-XP x65 edition
partition 1 (ie."C") using commands like:

copy c:\NTLDR c:\i386\NTLDR
copy c:\NTDETECT.COM c:\i386\NTDETECT.COM
copy c:\windows\system32\NTOSKRNL.EXE c:\i386\NTOSKRNL.EXE

Reboot and install Win-XP 32-bit Edition into Partition 2 (ie. "D")

After installation is completed for Win-XP 32-bit, reboot and select this
version in the multi-boot prompt selection (it most likely is the default,
and after a 30 second delay it will select and load the 32-bit OS version).

Once that the Windows startup has completed, you could RUN the command
Prompt task to enter a Command Line Mode. Enter these commands:

Copy c:\i386\NTLDR c:\NTLDR
You would receive an Overwrite prompt, answer Yes.

Copy c:\i386\NTDETECT.COM c:\NTDETECT.COM
You would receive an Overwrite prompt, answer Yes.

You could also to this command, but I don't think it is necessary:

Copy c:\i386\NTOSKRNL.EXE c:\windows\system32\NTOSKRNL.EXE
You would receive an Overwrite prompt, answer Yes.

Reboot the computer.

Select the 64-bit version of the OS during the startup using Multi-Mode
selection.

See if that works out. If not, there are other things that could be done,
many already found on these 64-bit Microsoft thread for Multi-Mode.

"pford" wrote:

> [...]
> > files listed with back level code and configuration that work with WIN-XP
> > PRO, but not with WIN-XP PRO x64 Edition. So, you reload the newer version
> > of the files from the Bootable Win-XP PRO x64 OS CD-ROM. When you next boot
> > and select to operate the Win-XP PRO x64 Edition, the prior error message
> > should be no longer there and 64-bit works.
> >
> > "kh" wrote:
> >
> > > New Column: Upgrading an AMD64 Turion Laptop to Windows XP x64 Edition
> > >
> > > Columnist Barb Bowman has found a perfect mobile computing environment after
> > > upgrading a new Acer Ferrari 4000 AMD Turion 64 notebook to dual boot Windows
> > > XP x64 Edition.
> > >
> > > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...n_05nov07.mspx
> > >
> > > Ask questions or post comments about the article here.
> > >
> > > This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Charlie Russel - MVP

why would you put 64-bit files in the i386 folder? That's a sure way to
confuse the issue. the i386 folder is ONLY for 32-bit files.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64