Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > windows xp bit64 not seeing hard drives(raid) in install

windows xp bit64 not seeing hard drives(raid) in install

Charlie Russel - MVP

If it can see the HD, then it doesn't need a driver. If it _doesn't_ see the
hard drive, at any point from initial installation to final operating OS,
then it needs a driver. Your message is rather unclear about what the actual
situation is, and tells us nothing about what your hardware is, so I can't
be more specific than that.

For more on F6 and loading storage drivers:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx

And for some more on the different modes for storage driver load during
setup, and why you care:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx

HTH
--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

norman wrote:
> it can find the hard drive on installation, would i need to get a 64 bit
> driver for raid
>
> thx

John Barnes

Raid requires drivers and you would need 64-bit. Charlie is right, provide
some information, not many here are mind readers.

"norman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> it can find the hard drive on installation, would i need to get a 64 bit
> driver for raid
>
> thx

Colin Barnhorst

If they are separate partitions you should be fine.

"norman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> thanks for the reply
>
> i when to dell site and downloaded the SATA driver
>
> Title : Serial ATA:nVidia MediaShield Driver
> Version : A00
> OEM Name : nVidia
> OEM Ver : 5.10.2600.546
> Computers : DXG051;
>
> it can see the hard drive and i told it to install in the C drive
> just wonder it is really a bad idea to install windows xp pro x64 it in
> the same drive as windows xp pro
>
> c:\windows
> c:\windows.64
>
> also the installation seems to hang in the 'installation devices part' and
> the hard drive light stops flashing, is there a wait?
>

> computer info
>
> dell xps 600
> p4 3.4 650
> motherboard nforce4 (i think)
> video nvidia 7800 gtx
> two 160 gigs hard drive

Charlie Russel - MVP

Do NOT do that. You will have nothing but problems. Please rebuild your
machine and install 32-bit windows and x64 Edition on different partitions.
You will have an unstable and unsupportable machine as it is currently
configured.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

norman wrote:
> its on the same partiton sadly
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If they are separate partitions you should be fine.
>>
>> --
>> "norman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> thanks for the reply
>>>
>>> i when to dell site and downloaded the SATA driver
>>>
>>> Title : Serial ATA:nVidia MediaShield Driver
>>> Version : A00
>>> OEM Name : nVidia
>>> OEM Ver : 5.10.2600.546
>>> Computers : DXG051;
>>>
>>> it can see the hard drive and i told it to install in the C drive
>>> just wonder it is really a bad idea to install windows xp pro x64 it in
>>> the same drive as windows xp pro
>>>
>>> c:\windows
>>> c:\windows.64
>>>
>>> also the installation seems to hang in the 'installation devices part'
>>> and the hard drive light stops flashing, is there a wait?
>>>

>>> computer info
>>>
>>> dell xps 600
>>> p4 3.4 650
>>> motherboard nforce4 (i think)
>>> video nvidia 7800 gtx
>>> two 160 gigs hard drive

Charlie Russel - MVP

You need to rebuild your C: drive. No telling what files are where.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

norman wrote:
> ok i think i should install it on another drive just to be safe, how do i
> uninstall the windows xp 64 bit off c drive? what files can i delete
> thanks (it hasnt finish isntalling)

norman

it can find the hard drive on installation, would i need to get a 64 bit
driver for raid

thx

norman

thanks for the reply

i when to dell site and downloaded the SATA driver

Title : Serial ATA:nVidia MediaShield Driver
Version : A00
OEM Name : nVidia
OEM Ver : 5.10.2600.546
Computers : DXG051;

it can see the hard drive and i told it to install in the C drive
just wonder it is really a bad idea to install windows xp pro x64 it in the
same drive as windows xp pro

c:\windows
c:\windows.64

also the installation seems to hang in the 'installation devices part' and
the hard drive light stops flashing, is there a wait?

computer info

dell xps 600
p4 3.4 650
motherboard nforce4 (i think)
video nvidia 7800 gtx
two 160 gigs hard drive

norman

ok i think i should install it on another drive just to be safe, how do i
uninstall the windows xp 64 bit off c drive? what files can i delete thanks
(it hasnt finish isntalling)

norman

its on the same partiton sadly
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> If they are separate partitions you should be fine.

> "norman" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> thanks for the reply
>>
>> i when to dell site and downloaded the SATA driver
>>
>> Title : Serial ATA:nVidia MediaShield Driver
>> Version : A00
>> OEM Name : nVidia
>> OEM Ver : 5.10.2600.546
>> Computers : DXG051;
>>
>> it can see the hard drive and i told it to install in the C drive
>> just wonder it is really a bad idea to install windows xp pro x64 it in
>> the same drive as windows xp pro
>>
>> c:\windows
>> c:\windows.64
>>
>> also the installation seems to hang in the 'installation devices part'
>> and the hard drive light stops flashing, is there a wait?
>>

>> computer info
>>
>> dell xps 600
>> p4 3.4 650
>> motherboard nforce4 (i think)
>> video nvidia 7800 gtx
>> two 160 gigs hard drive

John Barnes

Try disconnecting everything except your video card, especially any USB
devices.

news:%23hNkfw$(E-Mail Removed)...