Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Streets & Trips 2006

Streets & Trips 2006

Norman Brooks

I was looking at this program the other day in one of the local stores.
Looked very interesting, little GPS locator thingy goes in the window, old
laptop, and bingo, you know where you are, where you're going etc.

Then I thought about my MS keyboard with no 64 drivers, my MS mouse with no
64 drivers, my Fingerprint scanner with no 64 drivers, my old MS network
stuff in the closet, totally abandoned by MS. Then I started chatting with
the salesperson who was quite knowledgeable and she mentioned several people
recently have turned their noses up at MS hardware because of non support
issues. I walked away, looking elsewhere for a GPS map solution.

Hey Redmond ..... you paying attention ? Your past business practices are
starting to pay off !

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You should also post this to the microsoft.public.streets-trips ng to find
out if anybody has encountered problems with it on x64, from what I read in
your post, it sounds like you are assuming that its not compatible with x64
based on your past experiences with Microsoft hardware and x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Norman Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was looking at this program the other day in one of the local stores.
>Looked very interesting, little GPS locator thingy goes in the window, old
>laptop, and bingo, you know where you are, where you're going etc.
>
> Then I thought about my MS keyboard with no 64 drivers, my MS mouse with
> no 64 drivers, my Fingerprint scanner with no 64 drivers, my old MS
> network stuff in the closet, totally abandoned by MS. Then I started
> chatting with the salesperson who was quite knowledgeable and she
> mentioned several people recently have turned their noses up at MS
> hardware because of non support issues. I walked away, looking elsewhere
> for a GPS map solution.
>
> Hey Redmond ..... you paying attention ? Your past business practices are
> starting to pay off !

John Barnes

My attitude too. Besides, starting with 2005 editions, lots of Microsoft
consumer software seems to be written by Zambian monkeys. So far I have had
to reinstall older versions of Money (Websites were dedicated to tracking
the problems here) and Streets and Trips (street NAMES were replaced by
route numbers). I'm back to S&T 2002 and Money 2004 and replacing all my
Microsoft software with other brands when appropriate. Love Dolorme Streets
and TOPO. Works in X64 fine but I don't use their GPS as I already had
Magellan.

"Norman Brooks" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was looking at this program the other day in one of the local stores.
>Looked very interesting, little GPS locator thingy goes in the window, old
>laptop, and bingo, you know where you are, where you're going etc.
>
> Then I thought about my MS keyboard with no 64 drivers, my MS mouse with
> no 64 drivers, my Fingerprint scanner with no 64 drivers, my old MS
> network stuff in the closet, totally abandoned by MS. Then I started
> chatting with the salesperson who was quite knowledgeable and she
> mentioned several people recently have turned their noses up at MS
> hardware because of non support issues. I walked away, looking elsewhere
> for a GPS map solution.
>
> Hey Redmond ..... you paying attention ? Your past business practices are
> starting to pay off !

Barb Bowman

There are no x64 drivers for the included GPS hardware. The software
itself is fine.

On Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:46:21 -0800, "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>You should also post this to the microsoft.public.streets-trips ng to find
>out if anybody has encountered problems with it on x64, from what I read in
>your post, it sounds like you are assuming that its not compatible with x64
>based on your past experiences with Microsoft hardware and x64.

--

Barb Bowman
MS Windows-MVP
Expert Zone Columnist