Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Go from Eval version to full version

Go from Eval version to full version

Simo Sentissi

Hello there

I downloaded the eval version of XP 64 pro and now my work boght me an MSDN
subscription where I can install XP pro 64 on my computer. how do I get rid
of the eval without reinstalling ?

Please help!

I do not want to reintall the whole damn thing

Jim Macklin

A repair install from a bootable CD with the MSDN program.

some support

"Simo Sentissi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
| Hello there
|
| I downloaded the eval version of XP 64 pro and now my
work boght me an MSDN
| subscription where I can install XP pro 64 on my computer.
how do I get rid
| of the eval without reinstalling ?
|
| Please help!
|
| I do not want to reintall the whole damn thing

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Remember to choose repair "after" accepting the F8 Agreement.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Simo Sentissi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello there
>
> I downloaded the eval version of XP 64 pro and now my work boght me an
> MSDN subscription where I can install XP pro 64 on my computer. how do I
> get rid of the eval without reinstalling ?
>
> Please help!
>
> I do not want to reintall the whole damn thing

wewa

I did this yesterday.

I inserted the CD into my up and running eval, clicked install, and then it
copied files, and rebooted and all is good.
I did have to download and update the Nvidia driver (77.72->81.85), as it
was giving me error messages, but all seems good now, with all data and
settings intact. Its even doing automatic windows updates (yellow shield in
system tray).

Very smooth transition from eval to full copy. Kudos to MS.

Have fun.

"Simo Sentissi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello there
>
> I downloaded the eval version of XP 64 pro and now my work boght me an
> MSDN subscription where I can install XP pro 64 on my computer. how do I
> get rid of the eval without reinstalling ?
>
> Please help!
>
> I do not want to reintall the whole damn thing

Dennis Gordon

Do you mean you ran it while in Windows? I didn't think you could do that.

"wewa" <(E-Mail Removed).4me> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I did this yesterday.
>
> I inserted the CD into my up and running eval, clicked install, and then

it
> copied files, and rebooted and all is good.
> I did have to download and update the Nvidia driver (77.72->81.85), as it
> was giving me error messages, but all seems good now, with all data and
> settings intact. Its even doing automatic windows updates (yellow shield

in
> system tray).
>
> Very smooth transition from eval to full copy. Kudos to MS.
>
> Have fun.

wewa

Yes, totally.

I didn't think so either, as all that I have read these many months since we
all started receiving our CDs, was to do a repair, or clean install. I
figured hey, if it lets me, why not, and tried it.
It did it just like when I do the reinstalls the same way on previous
versions (XP, Me, 2000) by inserting the CD on a booted Win system.

On first boot, it asked if I wanted to activate, said yes, online, and it
thanked me, and I thanked it back.
So far so good, I can't tell any problems whatsoever, winver shows no
expiration date anymore, and I'm writing to you now on it.

I did notice that everything was faster, like it was back when I first
started using x64 earlier this year, so that was a plus.
But I don't know to attribute it to differences in this final version, as to
the trial version I was on, such details that we aren't privy to (hello
MS?), or to just that Windows will always run faster after a clean refresh
install, with cleaned up registries, and such.

As I mentioned, it did complain about a version conflict of the Nvidia
driver, soon after, so I downloaded the latest update, installed, and
rebooted, and even images and videos seem crisper on my 6600 with dual Dell
FPW2005 displays. Nvidia must have done some tweaking on this version. Or do
I attribute this to the final x64 again?

Guess I'm too giddy with final x64 goodness...I'm attributing my low
cholesterol to it too!

One quirk I have noticed, is that the automatic updates shield is always at
the system tray now, and says 0% and never goes away...I will try to turn it
off and back on to see if that clears it up.

Enjoy.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Do you mean you ran it while in Windows? I didn't think you could do that.
>
> "wewa" <(E-Mail Removed).4me> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I did this yesterday.
>>
>> I inserted the CD into my up and running eval, clicked install, and then

> it
>> copied files, and rebooted and all is good.
>> I did have to download and update the Nvidia driver (77.72->81.85), as it
>> was giving me error messages, but all seems good now, with all data and
>> settings intact. Its even doing automatic windows updates (yellow shield

> in
>> system tray).
>>
>> Very smooth transition from eval to full copy. Kudos to MS.
>>
>> Have fun.

Dennis Gordon

Well that's interesting and good to know. It does seem the reasonable thing
to be able to do. Although I've never had a problem with doing repair
installs (all 2 of them) there is always that slight queasiness that
accompanies the process. My OEM disk is in transit. I may have to give your
method a try when it arrives....