Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Background & Network printing problems

Background & Network printing problems

DONALD RICETTI

I have just installed x64 on a new computer build and have a few small
problems. First off I am unable to select any wallpaper except what is
installed as default. When I locate any .jpg picture there is no option to
set as desktop background as any option.
The second problem is that my HP laserjet 5 is connected on a Server 2000
box which does not have a x64 driver installed. Since there are no drivers
available how does one force the computer to use the local driver on the x64
box & not the server?

--
DONALD RICETTI

Charlie Russel - MVP

http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../18/54021.aspx

Also:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../05/61685.aspx

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

DONALD RICETTI wrote:
> I have just installed x64 on a new computer build and have a few small
> problems. First off I am unable to select any wallpaper except what is
> installed as default. When I locate any .jpg picture there is no option to
> set as desktop background as any option.
> The second problem is that my HP laserjet 5 is connected on a Server 2000
> box which does not have a x64 driver installed. Since there are no drivers
> available how does one force the computer to use the local driver on the
> x64 box & not the server?

Norman E Brooks

Well, you've got some replies on your printer problems so you can see where that goes.

For your desktop background you have two choices ... if you don't want to "Active Desktop" running you can use this. You can surf the net using explorer just as easily as you can using internet explorer .... and vice versa. You can explore your hard drive using internet explorer. Bring up internet explorer and using the address bar, navigate to any directory holding gifs or jpegs. i.e. c:\windows (use the folder containing the picture you want to use.
Double click on the picture and it will come up in Windows Pictures and Fax viewer. Right clicking on the picture will give you the option of making it your desktop background.

If you want to use Active Desktop then you can navigate to it through the Display properties utility. Right click on your desktop and select Properties. Select the Desktop Tab and then Customize Desktop. Select Web and follow the directions and the help dialog boxes.

If, as in some installations (mine comes to mind) the bleeding Web tab is missing you can follow this hint:

http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm go to tweak number 177. Restore the Web Tab - Display Properties.

Good luck

Norm

"DONALD RICETTI" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:egli8$(E-Mail Removed)...
I have just installed x64 on a new computer build and have a few small
problems. First off I am unable to select any wallpaper except what is
installed as default. When I locate any .jpg picture there is no option to
set as desktop background as any option.
The second problem is that my HP laserjet 5 is connected on a Server 2000
box which does not have a x64 driver installed. Since there are no drivers
available how does one force the computer to use the local driver on the x64
box & not the server?

--
DONALD RICETTI

Dennis Gordon

Would I be able to use the ntprint.inf file to enable me to print to our
Bizhub color copier, which has resisted me so far.?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../18/54021.aspx
>
> Also:
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../05/61685.aspx
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> DONALD RICETTI wrote:
> > I have just installed x64 on a new computer build and have a few small
> > problems. First off I am unable to select any wallpaper except what is
> > installed as default. When I locate any .jpg picture there is no option

> > set as desktop background as any option.
> > The second problem is that my HP laserjet 5 is connected on a Server

2000
> > box which does not have a x64 driver installed. Since there are no

drivers
> > available how does one force the computer to use the local driver on the
> > x64 box & not the server?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No idea. If you can find something close, and then work from that, maybe.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> Would I be able to use the ntprint.inf file to enable me to print to our
> Bizhub color copier, which has resisted me so far.?

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../18/54021.aspx
>>
>> Also:
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../05/61685.aspx
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> DONALD RICETTI wrote:
>>> I have just installed x64 on a new computer build and have a few small
>>> problems. First off I am unable to select any wallpaper except what is
>>> installed as default. When I locate any .jpg picture there is no option
>>> to set as desktop background as any option.
>>> The second problem is that my HP laserjet 5 is connected on a Server
>>> 2000 box which does not have a x64 driver installed. Since there are no
>>> drivers available how does one force the computer to use the local
>>> driver on the x64 box & not the server?

Dennis Gordon

Well I copied the AMD64 folder over to the server the Minolta is hooked up
to (running Server 2003). Tried adding additional drivers for both Itanium
and WINNT, and navigated to AMD64\ntprint.inf. Received "unable to complete
operation..." both times, so I guess it won't work.. unless I'm missing
something.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> No idea. If you can find something close, and then work from that, maybe.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> Would I be able to use the ntprint.inf file to enable me to print to our
>> Bizhub color copier, which has resisted me so far.?

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../18/54021.aspx
>>>
>>> Also:
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../05/61685.aspx
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dennis -- first, see the blog entries. Determine exactly what driver you're
going to use, and what hardware it is for. Then create the EXACT printer for
32-bit Windows, and then add the drivers for x64 Edition as described in the
blog.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> Well I copied the AMD64 folder over to the server the Minolta is hooked up
> to (running Server 2003). Tried adding additional drivers for both Itanium
> and WINNT, and navigated to AMD64\ntprint.inf. Received "unable to
> complete operation..." both times, so I guess it won't work.. unless I'm
> missing something.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> No idea. If you can find something close, and then work from that, maybe.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>>> Would I be able to use the ntprint.inf file to enable me to print to our
>>> Bizhub color copier, which has resisted me so far.?
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Dennis Gordon

There doesn't appear to be a driver for the Bizhub C350 PCL5 on the 64bit
disk. Of course, I may just be dense. I'll persuse the blogs and see if I
can enlighten myself...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis -- first, see the blog entries. Determine exactly what driver
> you're going to use, and what hardware it is for. Then create the EXACT
> printer for 32-bit Windows, and then add the drivers for x64 Edition as
> described in the blog.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> Well I copied the AMD64 folder over to the server the Minolta is hooked
>> up
>> to (running Server 2003). Tried adding additional drivers for both
>> Itanium
>> and WINNT, and navigated to AMD64\ntprint.inf. Received "unable to
>> complete operation..." both times, so I guess it won't work.. unless I'm
>> missing something.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> No idea. If you can find something close, and then work from that,
>>> maybe.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon

Well I was unable to add the printer to the server, but I was able to add it
to my 64 bit machine using another Minolta color printer driver. It works...
except no Tabloid... but I imagine there's a model with that spec somewhere
that I can use. I'm thrilled to get it printing at all, so I'll live with
the smaller paper limit for now...

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> There doesn't appear to be a driver for the Bizhub C350 PCL5 on the 64bit
> disk. Of course, I may just be dense. I'll persuse the blogs and see if I
> can enlighten myself...

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dennis -- first, see the blog entries. Determine exactly what driver
>> you're going to use, and what hardware it is for. Then create the EXACT
>> printer for 32-bit Windows, and then add the drivers for x64 Edition as
>> described in the blog.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>>> Well I copied the AMD64 folder over to the server the Minolta is hooked
>>> up
>>> to (running Server 2003). Tried adding additional drivers for both
>>> Itanium
>>> and WINNT, and navigated to AMD64\ntprint.inf. Received "unable to
>>> complete operation..." both times, so I guess it won't work.. unless I'm
>>> missing something.
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Now, go to your server and create a printer that uses that same driver, but
the 32-bit version. It will have the same limitations, obviously. But, once
you've created it, you should be able to add the 64-bit drivers to the
printer definition and then print by way of the server.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64