Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 64 Bit Installation Concerns

64 Bit Installation Concerns

He1b

I'm running Windows 64 bit OS on a Dell 2850 Xeon system. I am
starting to regret going to 64 bit as this OS does not seem ready for
prime time. First, my SQL connection does not work on my ASP
application (it works fine in Windows 2000 Srv). The error message I
get using DSN or SQLOLEDB is:

ADODB.Connection error '800a0ea9'

Provider is not specified and there is no designated default provider

Again, no issues on Windows 2000. Also, my Veritas Backup Exec 9.1
isn't compatible with 64 bit. Should I consider going back to 32 bit?
Is there a way to install 32 bit over top of 64 bit (without wiping the
box). Also, is a 32 bit version avaiable on the 64 bit media?

Thanks in Advance

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Pascal wrote:
It's important to understand which kind of DSN you have. On an x64 system,
you can create an ODBC connection(DSN) on the 32-bit side of the system or
on the 64-bit side of the system.

32-bit applications will only see ODBC connections created in the 32-bit
side, and 64-bits applications will only see ODBC connections from the
64-bit side. Each kind of application has is own registry.

To setup DSN for 32-bit application you must use:
%WINDIR%\SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe
and for 64-bit application you must use:
%WINDIR%\System32\odbcad32.exe

There is not 32-bit edition of Windows XP on the XP Pro x64 media. Have you
contacted Veritas about any future updates to support x64?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"He1b" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
> I'm running Windows 64 bit OS on a Dell 2850 Xeon system. I am
> starting to regret going to 64 bit as this OS does not seem ready for
> prime time. First, my SQL connection does not work on my ASP
> application (it works fine in Windows 2000 Srv). The error message I
> get using DSN or SQLOLEDB is:
>
> ADODB.Connection error '800a0ea9'
>
> Provider is not specified and there is no designated default provider
>
> Again, no issues on Windows 2000. Also, my Veritas Backup Exec 9.1
> isn't compatible with 64 bit. Should I consider going back to 32 bit?
> Is there a way to install 32 bit over top of 64 bit (without wiping the
> box). Also, is a 32 bit version avaiable on the 64 bit media?
>
> Thanks in Advance

He1b

Thanks for the reply. I used the ODBC connections in Adminsitrative
tools, which I think is System32\odbcad32.exe. I removed my DSN
entries there and executed SysWOW64\odbcad32.exe and added ti there.
The connection tests successfully but I still get the same error in
ASP. I've been working with Microsoft via e-mail but they are stumped.
I've seen others have this issue online but no resolution. Is it
possible that .ASP is not compatible with 64 bit?

As for the 32 bit edition, I'm running Windows 2003 server, so I was
thinking that there might be one there. I contacted Veritas, I would
have to upgrade to version 10.0 on my servers to be compatible with 64
bit.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I misinterpreted this part of your question, sorry:
Is there a way to install 32 bit over top of 64 bit (without wiping the
box).

Its a clean install only if you want to move back to Server 2003 32 bit from
64 bit Windows client or Server, I thought you were asking if 32 bit Windows
also comes with x64, the answer is no. As for the .asp issue, I don't any
knowledge on that, maybe some else can help out with. Have you posted a
questions in asp.net forums about it? http://forums.asp.net/
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com