Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > PLEASE HELP SERIOUS PROBLEM

PLEASE HELP SERIOUS PROBLEM

=?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

Hi as I am typing right now, my computers files and programs are not working
and when I try to click on the icon it will not do anything. I tried
acessing my control panel etc from the start menu and I cannot acess it
either. I cannot even find my product key to enter because the computer will
not let me acess it. I do not think I can even uninstall since I cannot
acess add/remove prgrams. I do not know what happened, honestly the only
thing I did was try to install Norton ANtivirus trial edition and it said SIS
error and by the time I rebooted my computer all my programs and files are
missing. Can someone help me please.

=?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

It is weird how I can acess Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers
but I cannot get into anything else on my computer./

"xSWEETONEx" wrote:

> Hi as I am typing right now, my computers files and programs are not working
> and when I try to click on the icon it will not do anything. I tried
> acessing my control panel etc from the start menu and I cannot acess it
> either. I cannot even find my product key to enter because the computer will
> not let me acess it. I do not think I can even uninstall since I cannot
> acess add/remove prgrams. I do not know what happened, honestly the only
> thing I did was try to install Norton ANtivirus trial edition and it said SIS
> error and by the time I rebooted my computer all my programs and files are
> missing. Can someone help me please.

Will

Tried booting up in Safe mode?

"xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It is weird how I can acess Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox browsers
> but I cannot get into anything else on my computer./
>
> "xSWEETONEx" wrote:
>
>> Hi as I am typing right now, my computers files and programs are not
>> working
>> and when I try to click on the icon it will not do anything. I tried
>> acessing my control panel etc from the start menu and I cannot acess it
>> either. I cannot even find my product key to enter because the computer
>> will
>> not let me acess it. I do not think I can even uninstall since I cannot
>> acess add/remove prgrams. I do not know what happened, honestly the only
>> thing I did was try to install Norton ANtivirus trial edition and it said
>> SIS
>> error and by the time I rebooted my computer all my programs and files
>> are
>> missing. Can someone help me please.

John Barnes

Try doing a system restore (do it from run
{%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe} if you can't access it from
programs or help), then, Norton has a page on manually removing their
products (you are not the first) which entails regedit, therefore backup the
registry before you edit it.

"Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:43608676$0$48905$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
> Tried booting up in Safe mode?
>

> "xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It is weird how I can acess Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox
>> browsers
>> but I cannot get into anything else on my computer./
>>
>> "xSWEETONEx" wrote:
>>
>>> Hi as I am typing right now, my computers files and programs are not
>>> working
>>> and when I try to click on the icon it will not do anything. I tried
>>> acessing my control panel etc from the start menu and I cannot acess it
>>> either. I cannot even find my product key to enter because the computer
>>> will
>>> not let me acess it. I do not think I can even uninstall since I cannot
>>> acess add/remove prgrams. I do not know what happened, honestly the
>>> only
>>> thing I did was try to install Norton ANtivirus trial edition and it
>>> said SIS
>>> error and by the time I rebooted my computer all my programs and files
>>> are
>>> missing. Can someone help me please.

=?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

Hi thank you for your responses, but John I can get into the RUN from my
start button and when I try tyo type your code, and even the Norton manual
Regedit it says:
The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
action. Create an associatoin folder in the folder options control panel.

I am looking around google and finding Norton screwing up other peoples
computers but this is crazy. Its weird how I can only access IE and Mozilla
and all my icons on my desktop are all blank. ANy other suggestions?

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Try doing a system restore (do it from run
> {%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe} if you can't access it from
> programs or help), then, Norton has a page on manually removing their
> products (you are not the first) which entails regedit, therefore backup the
> registry before you edit it.
>

> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:43608676$0$48905$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
> > Tried booting up in Safe mode?
> >

> > "xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> It is weird how I can acess Internet Explorer and Mozilla Firefox
> >> browsers
> >> but I cannot get into anything else on my computer./

John Barnes

I am having a problem following your response. If you cut an paste the
instruction between the {} and hit ok, what is your response? Then if you
type regedit in the box and hit ok
what is the response? Then go to the Norton support site and go thru this
various pages and search for manual remove. Try a couple of alternatives to
get the page that tells you the procedures to remove the product you
installed. I know it is there, since I have had to do it in the past. Yes,
all you have to do is search this site and you will see a basically negative
tone to Symantec products. If they work they are fine, but a bad install or
problem with the live update and it is a nightmare getting rid of it.

"xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi thank you for your responses, but John I can get into the RUN from my
> start button and when I try tyo type your code, and even the Norton manual
> Regedit it says:
> The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> action. Create an associatoin folder in the folder options control panel.
>
> I am looking around google and finding Norton screwing up other peoples
> computers but this is crazy. Its weird how I can only access IE and
> Mozilla
> and all my icons on my desktop are all blank. ANy other suggestions?
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Try doing a system restore (do it from run
>> {%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe} if you can't access it from
>> programs or help), then, Norton has a page on manually removing their
>> products (you are not the first) which entails regedit, therefore backup
>> the
>> registry before you edit it.
>>

>> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:43608676$0$48905$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...
>> > Tried booting up in Safe mode?
>> >

>> > "xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> > news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?eFNXRUVUT05FeA==?=

Hi John As I am typing I am on hold with Symatech for over 30 minutes, and
their online supports telliung me its my computers problem but I know that it
is their product that screwed up my whole system. When I tried to type your
code it says:

The file you have does not have a program with it for performing this
action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.

I cannot even get into my control panel
I was able to get into safemode
but my icons were still not working and I still cannot acess my computer
folder, documents, help and support nothing!!!!

"John Barnes" wrote:

> I am having a problem following your response. If you cut an paste the
> instruction between the {} and hit ok, what is your response? Then if you
> type regedit in the box and hit ok
> what is the response? Then go to the Norton support site and go thru this
> various pages and search for manual remove. Try a couple of alternatives to
> get the page that tells you the procedures to remove the product you
> installed. I know it is there, since I have had to do it in the past. Yes,
> all you have to do is search this site and you will see a basically negative
> tone to Symantec products. If they work they are fine, but a bad install or
> problem with the live update and it is a nightmare getting rid of it.
>
> "xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi thank you for your responses, but John I can get into the RUN from my
> > start button and when I try tyo type your code, and even the Norton manual
> > Regedit it says:
> > The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
> > action. Create an associatoin folder in the folder options control panel.
> >
> > I am looking around google and finding Norton screwing up other peoples
> > computers but this is crazy. Its weird how I can only access IE and
> > Mozilla
> > and all my icons on my desktop are all blank. ANy other suggestions?
> >
> > "John Barnes" wrote:
> >
> >> Try doing a system restore (do it from run
> >> {%SystemRoot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe} if you can't access it from
> >> programs or help), then, Norton has a page on manually removing their
> >> products (you are not the first) which entails regedit, therefore backup
> >> the
> >> registry before you edit it.
> >>

> >> "Will" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:43608676$0$48905$(E-Mail Removed) anews.com...

John Barnes

Their support is useless, but I still think your best solution if you can't
run system restore, is the manual removal process. This, however, will
require that you be able to get into regedit. The manual removal process
requires the removal of files and registry entries. Since you are probably
early in the process of installing x64 based on your post, I would suggest
that you consider just restoring the system, either with your computer
restore disk or re-installing x64, and learn from your experience. Make
sure system restore is turned on and make sure you have a restore point
before each install. I personally would consider a full system backup at
least weekly while you are installing new programs and Acronis 8.0 (maybe
9.0) as recommended by Charlie.

"xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi John As I am typing I am on hold with Symatech for over 30 minutes, and
> their online supports telliung me its my computers problem but I know that
> it
> is their product that screwed up my whole system. When I tried to type
> your
> code it says:
>
> The file you have does not have a program with it for performing this
> action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.
>
> I cannot even get into my control panel
> I was able to get into safemode
> but my icons were still not working and I still cannot acess my computer
> folder, documents, help and support nothing!!!!
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem following your response. If you cut an paste the
>> instruction between the {} and hit ok, what is your response? Then if
>> you
>> type regedit in the box and hit ok
>> what is the response? Then go to the Norton support site and go thru
>> this
>> various pages and search for manual remove. Try a couple of alternatives
>> get the page that tells you the procedures to remove the product you
>> installed. I know it is there, since I have had to do it in the past.
>> Yes,
>> all you have to do is search this site and you will see a basically
>> negative
>> tone to Symantec products. If they work they are fine, but a bad install
>> or
>> problem with the live update and it is a nightmare getting rid of it.
>>
>> "xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi thank you for your responses, but John I can get into the RUN from
>> > my
>> > start button and when I try tyo type your code, and even the Norton
>> > manual
>> > Regedit it says:
>> > The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
>> > action. Create an associatoin folder in the folder options control
>> > panel.
>> >
>> > I am looking around google and finding Norton screwing up other peoples
>> > computers but this is crazy. Its weird how I can only access IE and
>> > Mozilla
>> > and all my icons on my desktop are all blank. ANy other suggestions?

Colin Barnhorst

Are you using the 64-bit version of XP?

"xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi John As I am typing I am on hold with Symatech for over 30 minutes, and
> their online supports telliung me its my computers problem but I know that
> it
> is their product that screwed up my whole system. When I tried to type
> your
> code it says:
>
> The file you have does not have a program with it for performing this
> action. Create an association in the folder options control panel.
>
> I cannot even get into my control panel
> I was able to get into safemode
> but my icons were still not working and I still cannot acess my computer
> folder, documents, help and support nothing!!!!
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> I am having a problem following your response. If you cut an paste the
>> instruction between the {} and hit ok, what is your response? Then if
>> you
>> type regedit in the box and hit ok
>> what is the response? Then go to the Norton support site and go thru
>> this
>> various pages and search for manual remove. Try a couple of alternatives
>> get the page that tells you the procedures to remove the product you
>> installed. I know it is there, since I have had to do it in the past.
>> Yes,
>> all you have to do is search this site and you will see a basically
>> negative
>> tone to Symantec products. If they work they are fine, but a bad install
>> or
>> problem with the live update and it is a nightmare getting rid of it.
>>
>> "xSWEETONEx" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Hi thank you for your responses, but John I can get into the RUN from
>> > my
>> > start button and when I try tyo type your code, and even the Norton
>> > manual
>> > Regedit it says:
>> > The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this
>> > action. Create an associatoin folder in the folder options control
>> > panel.
>> >
>> > I am looking around google and finding Norton screwing up other peoples
>> > computers but this is crazy. Its weird how I can only access IE and
>> > Mozilla
>> > and all my icons on my desktop are all blank. ANy other suggestions?

Will

Hi,

You could try enabling the Windows Installer service while in Safe Mode.
Then try uninstalling Symantec.

Check out http://mcpmag.com/columns/article.asp?EditorialsID=990

"Get into the command line and run REG ADD
"HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Contr ol\SafeBoot\
Minimal\MSIServer" /VE /T REG_SZ /D "Service" net start msiserver" (taken
from the link)

Will