Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Will this affect performance

Will this affect performance

sjoshi

We have a server with 64-bit Xeons, but we have 32-bit OS on it
(Win2003). Would this affect performance when I run a 32bit application
on it because of the 64-bit CPUs having to emulate
32-bit (WOW64), or is that only if you use 64-bit OS and run a 32bit
compiled app on it ?

thanks
Sunit

Tony Sperling

wow64, is a Windows Compatibility Layer - to the best of my knowledge, the
processor runs 32bit apps quite on it's own! Depending on the specific
application's use of memory and general resources, however, it 'could' make
benefit of a 64bit OS, even though it is 32bit.

Tony. . .

"sjoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> We have a server with 64-bit Xeons, but we have 32-bit OS on it
> (Win2003). Would this affect performance when I run a 32bit application
> on it because of the 64-bit CPUs having to emulate
> 32-bit (WOW64), or is that only if you use 64-bit OS and run a 32bit
> compiled app on it ?
>
> thanks
> Sunit

Rick

Read more on WOW64 by Microsoft at:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...on_details.asp

WOW64 is strictly within the OS; Win x64 & Win IA64. It is not a CPU
function.

Tony Sperling wrote:
> wow64, is a Windows Compatibility Layer - to the best of my knowledge, the
> processor runs 32bit apps quite on it's own! Depending on the specific
> application's use of memory and general resources, however, it 'could' make
> benefit of a 64bit OS, even though it is 32bit.
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "sjoshi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
>
>>We have a server with 64-bit Xeons, but we have 32-bit OS on it
>>(Win2003). Would this affect performance when I run a 32bit application
>>on it because of the 64-bit CPUs having to emulate
>>32-bit (WOW64), or is that only if you use 64-bit OS and run a 32bit
>>compiled app on it ?
>>
>>thanks
>>Sunit

Charlie Russel - MVP

No. Though you might see an actual improvement running the application in
WOW64 and one of the x64 Editions of Windows, depending on the application.
But to a 32-bit OS, those xeons are still the same old 32-bit processors.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64