Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Tablet PC development under x64

Tablet PC development under x64

=?Utf-8?B?Q3lyYXh3aW5z?=

I'm having issues installing the recongnition pack for the tablet pc. I
recieve an error message telling me that I can't install the recongnition
pack until i have installed the Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7, but i have already
installed it and it works.

If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

There are no 64-bit Tablet PC's available. I don't think it will be
available during Vista either (just my opinion). Are you trying get the
Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7 to work on XP Professional x64?

System Requirements
a.. Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows
Server 2003; Windows XP Professional Edition

a.. Visual Studio version 6 with Service Pack 5 or Visual Studio .NET
(Both may be installed on the same computer.)

b.. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (recommended)

Consult the SDK documentation for more information on system requirements.
Note: You must be running Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 to
install the Tablet PC Development Kit on a Tablet PC .

Note: The Tablet PC Development Kit can be installed on certain non-Tablet
PC operating systems (listed above). On these platforms your application can
collect ink with the InkCollector class and can be tested and debugged. The
InkEdit and InkPicture controls can be used to collect ink on these
operating systems when the Tablet PC SDK is installed, but are not able to
collect ink on non-Tablet PC systems that do not have the Tablet PC SDK
installed.

Note: The Tablet PC SDK requires certain files from a later version of the
Microsoft Platform Software Development Kit (SDK) than shipped with Visual
Studio 6. Please download the latest Platform SDK from MSDNĀ® if you are
using Visual Studio 6.
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
"Cyraxwins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm having issues installing the recongnition pack for the tablet pc. I
> recieve an error message telling me that I can't install the recongnition
> pack until i have installed the Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7, but i have already
> installed it and it works.
>
> If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I've got a query in to the Tablet PC team at MS right now. I'll post back
when I get an answer. Hang in there.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Cyraxwins wrote:
> I'm having issues installing the recongnition pack for the tablet pc. I
> recieve an error message telling me that I can't install the recongnition
> pack until i have installed the Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7, but i have already
> installed it and it works.
>
> If anyone could help me out that would be great.

=?Utf-8?B?Q3lyYXh3aW5z?=

Thanks very much, I'm pretty sure is has something to do with the difference
in registry entries between regular XP and x64 but I haven't a clue how to
fix it so that the recognition pack realizes that I have already install the
SDK 1.7.

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> I've got a query in to the Tablet PC team at MS right now. I'll post back
> when I get an answer. Hang in there.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Cyraxwins wrote:
> > I'm having issues installing the recongnition pack for the tablet pc. I
> > recieve an error message telling me that I can't install the recongnition
> > pack until i have installed the Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7, but i have already
> > installed it and it works.
> >
> > If anyone could help me out that would be great.

=?Utf-8?B?Q3lyYXh3aW5z?=

Yes I am attempting to develope Tablet PC applications, and doing this under
x64 version of Windows, but am having troubles installing all the necessary
components to make that possible for testing.

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> There are no 64-bit Tablet PC's available. I don't think it will be
> available during Vista either (just my opinion). Are you trying get the
> Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7 to work on XP Professional x64?
>
> System Requirements
> a.. Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000 Service Pack 4; Windows
> Server 2003; Windows XP Professional Edition
>
> a.. Visual Studio version 6 with Service Pack 5 or Visual Studio .NET
> (Both may be installed on the same computer.)
>
> b.. Microsoft Internet Explorer 6 (recommended)
>

> Consult the SDK documentation for more information on system requirements.
> Note: You must be running Microsoft Windows XP Tablet PC Edition 2005 to
> install the Tablet PC Development Kit on a Tablet PC .
>
> Note: The Tablet PC Development Kit can be installed on certain non-Tablet
> PC operating systems (listed above). On these platforms your application can
> collect ink with the InkCollector class and can be tested and debugged. The
> InkEdit and InkPicture controls can be used to collect ink on these
> operating systems when the Tablet PC SDK is installed, but are not able to
> collect ink on non-Tablet PC systems that do not have the Tablet PC SDK
> installed.
>
> Note: The Tablet PC SDK requires certain files from a later version of the
> Microsoft Platform Software Development Kit (SDK) than shipped with Visual
> Studio 6. Please download the latest Platform SDK from MSDNĀ® if you are
> using Visual Studio 6.
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
> "Cyraxwins" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > I'm having issues installing the recongnition pack for the tablet pc. I
> > recieve an error message telling me that I can't install the recongnition
> > pack until i have installed the Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7, but i have already
> > installed it and it works.
> >
> > If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Charlie Russel - MVP

I'm sure you're right as to the source of the issue. As soon as I hear back,
I'll post into this thread.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Cyraxwins wrote:
> Thanks very much, I'm pretty sure is has something to do with the
> difference in registry entries between regular XP and x64 but I haven't a
> clue how to fix it so that the recognition pack realizes that I have
> already install the SDK 1.7.
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:
>
>> I've got a query in to the Tablet PC team at MS right now. I'll post back
>> when I get an answer. Hang in there.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Cyraxwins wrote:
>>> I'm having issues installing the recongnition pack for the tablet pc. I
>>> recieve an error message telling me that I can't install the
>>> recongnition pack until i have installed the Tablet PC Dev Kit 1.7, but
>>> i have already installed it and it works.
>>>
>>> If anyone could help me out that would be great.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Here's what I got back. Not quite what I'd hoped, but it does point at the
issue of 32-bit DLLs.

"Currently, we do not support the Reco Pack on x64 platforms, as there
are no 64-bit versions of those DLLs. We understand that some developers
may still desire to use the 32-bit DLLs on their x64 machines to build
32-bit apps (and test them in wow64 mode). While this may seem
technically feasible, it is still unsupported and has not been tested.

We believe the dialog that is appearing here may be a setup error, with
expected behavior being a different dialog saying something along the
lines of "This product is not supported on this operating system"."

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64