Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

XP Pro stopping on ACPITABL.DAT

Dennis Gordon

Aw geez... it was AVG all the time apparently. After I left that post, I
decided to rename all of the AVG files I found in the system 32 folder. That
fixed it. AVG has a recent update that's much larger than the incremental
ones they usually do (about 9 megs altogether). Something in there didn't
ike something else. I wish I'd thought of that earlier (actually I did, but
I've always been very fond of AVG, and I've recommended it to many users.
This time something got screwy. I'll try a fresh install and see what
happens... or maybe move over to NOD32.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well I got good news and bad. The good is using Acronis Migrate Easy (the
> lite version of their utilities) I easily cloned my boot drive to a new
> drive. Took about 15 minutes. The bad news is that whatever corruption was
> on the old disk has been transferred over to the new one. So, while XP 64
> bit continues to run very well, my XP Pro side of things (on the new
> cloned drive) is still crashing shortly after booting... every time.
>
> Looks like I'll need to do the repair install after all. I hate to do it
> if it's gonna screw up XP 64 bit. As I understand it. I need to save the
> ntdetect.com and ntldr files from the 386 install; boot with the XP Pro CD
> and do a repair install; then replace those two files in the new
> installation. I know John mentioned something about bootcfg as well. Sorry
> for being dense here. I just don't want to forget anything.
>
> But the new drive is nice and quiet all right...

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ouch. I've always recommended AVG as well. Glad you know the source at
least.

For 32-bit, I still like Trend Micro. If they ever do a 64-bit, I'll
probably install that on my x64 machines.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> Aw geez... it was AVG all the time apparently. After I left that post, I
> decided to rename all of the AVG files I found in the system 32 folder.
> That fixed it. AVG has a recent update that's much larger than the
> incremental ones they usually do (about 9 megs altogether). Something in
> there didn't ike something else. I wish I'd thought of that earlier
> (actually I did, but I've always been very fond of AVG, and I've
> recommended it to many users. This time something got screwy. I'll try a
> fresh install and see what happens... or maybe move over to NOD32.
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well I got good news and bad. The good is using Acronis Migrate Easy (the
>> lite version of their utilities) I easily cloned my boot drive to a new
>> drive. Took about 15 minutes. The bad news is that whatever corruption
>> was on the old disk has been transferred over to the new one. So, while
>> XP 64 bit continues to run very well, my XP Pro side of things (on the
>> new cloned drive) is still crashing shortly after booting... every time.
>>
>> Looks like I'll need to do the repair install after all. I hate to do it
>> if it's gonna screw up XP 64 bit. As I understand it. I need to save the
>> ntdetect.com and ntldr files from the 386 install; boot with the XP Pro
>> CD and do a repair install; then replace those two files in the new
>> installation. I know John mentioned something about bootcfg as well.
>> Sorry for being dense here. I just don't want to forget anything.
>>
>> But the new drive is nice and quiet all right...

Dennis Gordon

The upside of this trauma was that I was forced to do all of my work, under
deadline, in 64bit. Everything worked flawlessly, except for printing
(sluggish Xante printers due to makeshift drivers; no color copier supprt -
no big deal - I don't use it very often). OS remains solid. If I hadn't been
watching the Sox/Astros into the wee hours I probably would have figured out
the problem a lot earlier...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ouch. I've always recommended AVG as well. Glad you know the source at
> least.
>
> For 32-bit, I still like Trend Micro. If they ever do a 64-bit, I'll
> probably install that on my x64 machines.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> Aw geez... it was AVG all the time apparently. After I left that post, I
>> decided to rename all of the AVG files I found in the system 32 folder.
>> That fixed it. AVG has a recent update that's much larger than the
>> incremental ones they usually do (about 9 megs altogether). Something in
>> there didn't ike something else. I wish I'd thought of that earlier
>> (actually I did, but I've always been very fond of AVG, and I've
>> recommended it to many users. This time something got screwy. I'll try a
>> fresh install and see what happens... or maybe move over to NOD32.
>>

>> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Well I got good news and bad. The good is using Acronis Migrate Easy
>>> (the
>>> lite version of their utilities) I easily cloned my boot drive to a new
>>> drive. Took about 15 minutes. The bad news is that whatever corruption
>>> was on the old disk has been transferred over to the new one. So, while
>>> XP 64 bit continues to run very well, my XP Pro side of things (on the
>>> new cloned drive) is still crashing shortly after booting... every time.
>>>
>>> Looks like I'll need to do the repair install after all. I hate to do it
>>> if it's gonna screw up XP 64 bit. As I understand it. I need to save the
>>> ntdetect.com and ntldr files from the 386 install; boot with the XP Pro
>>> CD and do a repair install; then replace those two files in the new
>>> installation. I know John mentioned something about bootcfg as well.
>>> Sorry for being dense here. I just don't want to forget anything.
>>>
>>> But the new drive is nice and quiet all right...

Charlie Russel - MVP

See, it's helping you make the transition. That's a good thing.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64