Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > PCI IDE Card and Windows x64

PCI IDE Card and Windows x64

=?Utf-8?B?QmlnQW50aG9ueQ==?=

Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
Thanks.

PJB

GeForce 6600

"BigAnthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
> Thanks.

Rick

I thought that was a video card, not an IDE card?

PJB wrote:
> GeForce 6600
>

> "BigAnthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
>>Thanks.

John Barnes

So far all that I have seen posted are boards that don't work. Good luck,
seem to be an unsupported item so far.

"BigAnthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
> Thanks.

Rob Stow

John Barnes wrote:
> So far all that I have seen posted are boards that don't work. Good luck,
> seem to be an unsupported item so far.
>

> "BigAnthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
>> Thanks.

I put in a old 2 port HighPoint "RocketRAID 100" for someone a
few weeks ago and it seems to be working.

The RAID capabilities of the card are unavailable because of no
XP-64 drivers. However, it otherwise seems to be doing just
fine as an extension of the number of IDE ports in his system.

He hooked up his hard drives to the motherboard's IDE ports and
his DVD burner to the RocketRAID and AFAIK he hasn't made any
coasters yet.

John Barnes

Hopefully others with success will report them. Thanks.

"Rob Stow" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%23j$(E-Mail Removed)...
> John Barnes wrote:
>> So far all that I have seen posted are boards that don't work. Good
>> luck, seem to be an unsupported item so far.
>>

>> "BigAnthony" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
>>> Thanks.

> I put in a old 2 port HighPoint "RocketRAID 100" for someone a few weeks
> ago and it seems to be working.
>
> The RAID capabilities of the card are unavailable because of no XP-64
> drivers. However, it otherwise seems to be doing just fine as an
> extension of the number of IDE ports in his system.
>
> He hooked up his hard drives to the motherboard's IDE ports and his DVD
> burner to the RocketRAID and AFAIK he hasn't made any coasters yet.

Ken

"=?Utf-8?B?QmlnQW50aG9ueQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote
in news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
> Thanks.

Maxtor (Promise) Ultra 100 or 133 works natively in x64.

Ken

John Barnes

Interesting as it was reported earlier that the Maxtor did not work. See
Can't boot to XP64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133. from
9/21/2005
Quote "Also, I forgot to mention that I spoke with Promise Technology's tech
support
today. They said that they do not have any 64-bit drivers for their card,
and
neither does Maxtor. "

"Ken" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:Xns96F995D719658Kamcoseanetcom@207.46.248.16. ..
> "=?Utf-8?B?QmlnQW50aG9ueQ==?=" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote
> in news:(E-Mail Removed):
>
>> Does anybody know of a PCI IDE Card that is compatible with Windows x64?
>> Thanks.

> Maxtor (Promise) Ultra 100 or 133 works natively in x64.
>
> Ken

Ken

"John Barnes" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
news:(E-Mail Removed):

> Interesting as it was reported earlier that the Maxtor did not work.
> See Can't boot to XP64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA133.
> from 9/21/2005
> Quote "Also, I forgot to mention that I spoke with Promise
> Technology's tech support
> today. They said that they do not have any 64-bit drivers for their
> card, and
> neither does Maxtor. "

One of the systems here has a Maxtor 133 IDE controller in it and has
worked since the first public beta. The driver used is "ultra.sys" and is
part of the default install. I'm not sure why the original poster had
trouble booting but it wasn't due to lack of a driver. And why the Promise
people didn't know that the driver is on the x64 installation media? Who
knows?

Ken