Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 2G's to run Vista w/ x64?

2G's to run Vista w/ x64?

luisalejandro_1

I was reading an article on WinXPnews:
"In general, today's high end machines should be able to run Vista. Beta
testers have found that Vista needs at least 512 MB of RAM, with 1 GB being
the "sweet spot." That's unless you're running the 64 bit version, for which
you'll need (gulp) 2 GB for best performance. You'll also want SATA hard
disks, preferably SATA 2. Processor speed is less critical, but Vista will
be much better able to take advantage of dual core and multiple processors
than XP. "

Any Beta testers here that can confirm that? And by the way why?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Appropriate group for Windows Vista questions:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvist...d-e47b69cb29a9

Vista is still a major work in progress and its just too tricky to really
determine the official requirements, I would wait on beta 2 to start making
some assumptions. And even then it will still be too early since it is not
expected to RTM until late 2006.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
"luisalejandro_1" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I was reading an article on WinXPnews:
> "In general, today's high end machines should be able to run Vista. Beta
> testers have found that Vista needs at least 512 MB of RAM, with 1 GB
> being the "sweet spot." That's unless you're running the 64 bit version,
> for which you'll need (gulp) 2 GB for best performance. You'll also want
> SATA hard disks, preferably SATA 2. Processor speed is less critical, but
> Vista will be much better able to take advantage of dual core and multiple
> processors than XP. "
>
> Any Beta testers here that can confirm that? And by the way why?

Wayne Wastier

luisalejandro_1 wrote:
> I was reading an article on WinXPnews:
> "In general, today's high end machines should be able to run Vista.
> Beta testers have found that Vista needs at least 512 MB of RAM, with
> 1 GB being the "sweet spot." That's unless you're running the 64 bit
> version, for which you'll need (gulp) 2 GB for best performance.
> You'll also want SATA hard disks, preferably SATA 2. Processor speed
> is less critical, but Vista will be much better able to take
> advantage of dual core and multiple processors than XP. "
>
> Any Beta testers here that can confirm that? And by the way why?

Naw. Ignore it. The main problem with Vista x64 is the same with XP x64....
lack of drivers.

--
Wayne Wastier
Z-80 - AMD-64

Charlie Russel - MVP

Those memory numbers are high, IMHO. Not to say you won't see a benefit from
more RAM -- you will, just as you do today.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64