Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Ghosting the boot drive

Ghosting the boot drive

Dennis Gordon

I love my new build except for my unwise decisision to use my oldest
(relatively) slowest and definitely noisiest (IBM) 15K drive for my boot
drive. When I'm in XP64, which is installed on the Seagate (E Drive), or
accessing the Fujitsu (both are U320 15K drives) things are smooth and
quiet; but when running in XP Pro, that IBM rattles like a diesel, and
although it's certainly fast enough it's irritating to be around.

I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and swap
it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap it in?
What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

Norman Brooks

Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like we're talking SCSI here. The
problems ghosting one IDE drive to another pale in comparison to swapping
SCSI drives where drivers just to see the drive are required before the OS
even loads !

First off, ghosting or imaging means the destination partition has to be
EXACTLY the same size, byte for byte. Secondly, you will have to load
drivers during a repair F6 install, and then again in the OS.

It's time for a new install !

New drive + fresh install = happy customer !

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I love my new build except for my unwise decisision to use my oldest
>(relatively) slowest and definitely noisiest (IBM) 15K drive for my boot
>drive. When I'm in XP64, which is installed on the Seagate (E Drive), or
>accessing the Fujitsu (both are U320 15K drives) things are smooth and
>quiet; but when running in XP Pro, that IBM rattles like a diesel, and
>although it's certainly fast enough it's irritating to be around.
>
> I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and
> swap it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap
> it in? What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

Charlie Russel - MVP

It's not that bad, really. Since the SCSI drive is downstream of any
controller, he's not changing that. Actually, it should JFW.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Norman Brooks wrote:
> Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like we're talking SCSI here. The
> problems ghosting one IDE drive to another pale in comparison to swapping
> SCSI drives where drivers just to see the drive are required before the OS
> even loads !
>
> First off, ghosting or imaging means the destination partition has to be
> EXACTLY the same size, byte for byte. Secondly, you will have to load
> drivers during a repair F6 install, and then again in the OS.
>
> It's time for a new install !
>
> New drive + fresh install = happy customer !
>
> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I love my new build except for my unwise decisision to use my oldest
>> (relatively) slowest and definitely noisiest (IBM) 15K drive for my boot
>> drive. When I'm in XP64, which is installed on the Seagate (E Drive), or
>> accessing the Fujitsu (both are U320 15K drives) things are smooth and
>> quiet; but when running in XP Pro, that IBM rattles like a diesel, and
>> although it's certainly fast enough it's irritating to be around.
>>
>> I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and
>> swap it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap
>> it in? What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Dennis -- you'll want imaging software that will run from a CD/DVD boot, and
that will see your existing SCSI drives, since that's where I assume you'll
be putting the image. I've used Acronis with good success and it has SCSI
support and drive cloning support. Easiest might be simple drive cloning.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> I love my new build except for my unwise decisision to use my oldest
> (relatively) slowest and definitely noisiest (IBM) 15K drive for my boot
> drive. When I'm in XP64, which is installed on the Seagate (E Drive), or
> accessing the Fujitsu (both are U320 15K drives) things are smooth and
> quiet; but when running in XP Pro, that IBM rattles like a diesel, and
> although it's certainly fast enough it's irritating to be around.
>
> I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and
> swap it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap
> it in? What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

Dennis Gordon

Thanks for the tips. I'll look into Acronis. I was assuming that I could
hook up the new drive - clone it in Windows - swap it in, giving it the same
SCSI ID as the old one, and go from there. If I can get everything in XP64
happy to the point that I don't need XP Pro anymore, then it won't matter,
because it's only annoying when it's working as the system disk. Otherwise
it only chatters when I'm writing to it. A new install wouldn't be the end
of the world, but I'd still like to avoid it. BTW the Fujitsu MAS3735NP 73GB
15K Ultra320 drive is the sweetest, fastest *quietest* drive I've ever had.
If it didn't make the IBM look bad I wouldn't be looking to replace it.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis -- you'll want imaging software that will run from a CD/DVD boot,
> and that will see your existing SCSI drives, since that's where I assume
> you'll be putting the image. I've used Acronis with good success and it
> has SCSI support and drive cloning support. Easiest might be simple drive
> cloning.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> I love my new build except for my unwise decisision to use my oldest
>> (relatively) slowest and definitely noisiest (IBM) 15K drive for my boot
>> drive. When I'm in XP64, which is installed on the Seagate (E Drive), or
>> accessing the Fujitsu (both are U320 15K drives) things are smooth and
>> quiet; but when running in XP Pro, that IBM rattles like a diesel, and
>> although it's certainly fast enough it's irritating to be around.
>>
>> I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and
>> swap it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap
>> it in? What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

=?Utf-8?B?U3VwcmVtZUxhdw==?=

Not correct: Norton GHOST (formerly Drive Image from PowerQuest)
can restore an image file to a partition that is larger than the
one from which the image was made. There's a setting during
that RESTORE step which makes that possible.

Sincerely yours,
/s/ Paul Andrew Mitchell
Webmaster, Supreme Law Library

"Norman Brooks" wrote:

> Correct me if I'm wrong but it looks like we're talking SCSI here. The
> problems ghosting one IDE drive to another pale in comparison to swapping
> SCSI drives where drivers just to see the drive are required before the OS
> even loads !
>
> First off, ghosting or imaging means the destination partition has to be
> EXACTLY the same size, byte for byte. Secondly, you will have to load
> drivers during a repair F6 install, and then again in the OS.
>
> It's time for a new install !
>
> New drive + fresh install = happy customer !
>
> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I love my new build except for my unwise decisision to use my oldest
> >(relatively) slowest and definitely noisiest (IBM) 15K drive for my boot
> >drive. When I'm in XP64, which is installed on the Seagate (E Drive), or
> >accessing the Fujitsu (both are U320 15K drives) things are smooth and
> >quiet; but when running in XP Pro, that IBM rattles like a diesel, and
> >although it's certainly fast enough it's irritating to be around.
> >
> > I'd like to get a comparable (36G) drive that's faster and quieter and
> > swap it in. Can I make an image of the drive to a new drive and just swap
> > it in? What are the best tools for doing so? Thanks for any advice.

Dennis Gordon

I took a look at Acronis True Image v.9 over at Newegg. It seems like it
might do what I need, and the price is right...

Charlie Russel - MVP

good. Let me know. I've got 8.0 and been thinking about upgrading...

But I finally gave up on SCSI, as much as I love it. Just too expensive
these days to get the size of disk one needs. Sigh. And SATA is almost OK.
(I keep trying to convince myself it's "almost as good as SCSI" -- without
much success.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> I took a look at Acronis True Image v.9 over at Newegg. It seems like it
> might do what I need, and the price is right...

Dennis Gordon

I've got to get that new disk first, but I'll let you know.
The only reason I went all SCSI is because my job as production manager at
my newspaper lets me buy stuff with the purpose of getting the best
performance. It took me months of trolling Ebay to come up with 2 of the
drives (I pulled my noisy IBM from a file server) Cost about $275 for the 2
drives (92 gigs total). Certainly not cheap, but I think they're worth it...
not for the sustained transfer rate but for that 3.3ms access. Love it. Of
course I do... the company's paying for it... I'll plop a big SATA in
there for storage one of these days...

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> good. Let me know. I've got 8.0 and been thinking about upgrading...
>
> But I finally gave up on SCSI, as much as I love it. Just too expensive
> these days to get the size of disk one needs. Sigh. And SATA is almost OK.
> (I keep trying to convince myself it's "almost as good as SCSI" -- without
> much success.)
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
> > I took a look at Acronis True Image v.9 over at Newegg. It seems like it
> > might do what I need, and the price is right...

Wayne Wastier

Charlie Russel - MVP wrote:
> It's not that bad, really. Since the SCSI drive is downstream of any
> controller, he's not changing that. Actually, it should JFW.

Joke For Women? LOL