Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IEEE 1284.4 generic printing support / HP LaserJet printer support

IEEE 1284.4 generic printing support / HP LaserJet printer support

Manuel Lopez

I have an HP LaserJet 3380 (PCL6). For a near substitute, I managed to
install the PostScript printer driver for HP LaserJet 4000. However, there
are some problems:
1. When I install the PCL6 version of this or another printer, test pages
do NOT print, and I have to remove the printer.
2. I have a yellow question mark in device manager next to Generic IEEE
1284.4 printing support. However, I have an "IEEE 1284.4 compatible
printer" and also an "IEEE 1284.4 device" (DOT4 USB) installed without
question marks--presumably for the Postscript version.

Any suggestions? (HP recommended I use the LaserJet 4000 PCL 6--and that's
not working.)

Charlie Russel - MVP

Because your printer isn't in the list of supported printers, you have to
trick it to work. The port should be automatically created when you plug the
printer in to the USB port, but it will fail because it doesn't have a
driver. Then go in an manually add the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6 driver,
and you should be able to print to it.

Your best bet if this doesn't work is to go to HP and get very specific
steps that will enable your particular printer. Another workaround is to use
a TCP/IP print server externally to your printer, and print to that. It
won't give you the multifunction portion of the device, but the printer
portion of it should work just fine.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Manuel Lopez wrote:
> I have an HP LaserJet 3380 (PCL6). For a near substitute, I managed to
> install the PostScript printer driver for HP LaserJet 4000. However,
> there are some problems:
> 1. When I install the PCL6 version of this or another printer, test pages
> do NOT print, and I have to remove the printer.
> 2. I have a yellow question mark in device manager next to Generic IEEE
> 1284.4 printing support. However, I have an "IEEE 1284.4 compatible
> printer" and also an "IEEE 1284.4 device" (DOT4 USB) installed without
> question marks--presumably for the Postscript version.
>
> Any suggestions? (HP recommended I use the LaserJet 4000 PCL 6--and
> that's not working.)

Manuel Lopez

Thanks. What you say is what happened for the PS driver, but not for the
PCL6. I suspect it has something to do with trying to install two drivers
to the same port, and if I had installed the PCL6 first, I'd be having
problems with the PS. I'll see what HP tells me (they didn't have any
specific steps on their website).

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Because your printer isn't in the list of supported printers, you have to
> trick it to work. The port should be automatically created when you plug
> the printer in to the USB port, but it will fail because it doesn't have a
> driver. Then go in an manually add the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6
> driver, and you should be able to print to it.
>
> Your best bet if this doesn't work is to go to HP and get very specific
> steps that will enable your particular printer. Another workaround is to
> use a TCP/IP print server externally to your printer, and print to that.
> It won't give you the multifunction portion of the device, but the printer
> portion of it should work just fine.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Manuel Lopez wrote:
>> I have an HP LaserJet 3380 (PCL6). For a near substitute, I managed to
>> install the PostScript printer driver for HP LaserJet 4000. However,
>> there are some problems:
>> 1. When I install the PCL6 version of this or another printer, test
>> pages
>> do NOT print, and I have to remove the printer.
>> 2. I have a yellow question mark in device manager next to Generic IEEE
>> 1284.4 printing support. However, I have an "IEEE 1284.4 compatible
>> printer" and also an "IEEE 1284.4 device" (DOT4 USB) installed without
>> question marks--presumably for the Postscript version.
>>
>> Any suggestions? (HP recommended I use the LaserJet 4000 PCL 6--and
>> that's not working.)

Charlie Russel - MVP

You should be able to Add a printer, point to that exact same port, and then
choose a driver for it. It's how I've added both PCL and PS to my printer.

I'm not sure what PCL would gain you that PS doesn't do, however. PCL
drivers are usually faster, especially for that first page, but otherwise, I
don't think they're any better.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Manuel Lopez wrote:
> Thanks. What you say is what happened for the PS driver, but not for the
> PCL6. I suspect it has something to do with trying to install two drivers
> to the same port, and if I had installed the PCL6 first, I'd be having
> problems with the PS. I'll see what HP tells me (they didn't have any
> specific steps on their website).

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Because your printer isn't in the list of supported printers, you have to
>> trick it to work. The port should be automatically created when you plug
>> the printer in to the USB port, but it will fail because it doesn't have
>> a driver. Then go in an manually add the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6
>> driver, and you should be able to print to it.
>>
>> Your best bet if this doesn't work is to go to HP and get very specific
>> steps that will enable your particular printer. Another workaround is to
>> use a TCP/IP print server externally to your printer, and print to that.
>> It won't give you the multifunction portion of the device, but the
>> printer portion of it should work just fine.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Manuel Lopez wrote:
>>> I have an HP LaserJet 3380 (PCL6). For a near substitute, I managed to
>>> install the PostScript printer driver for HP LaserJet 4000. However,
>>> there are some problems:
>>> 1. When I install the PCL6 version of this or another printer, test
>>> pages
>>> do NOT print, and I have to remove the printer.
>>> 2. I have a yellow question mark in device manager next to Generic IEEE
>>> 1284.4 printing support. However, I have an "IEEE 1284.4 compatible
>>> printer" and also an "IEEE 1284.4 device" (DOT4 USB) installed without
>>> question marks--presumably for the Postscript version.
>>>
>>> Any suggestions? (HP recommended I use the LaserJet 4000 PCL 6--and
>>> that's not working.)

Manuel Lopez

I can do that, but after the printer is added, it won't print at all to it,
and there is other strange behavior (*LONG* delays to get printer properties
page open for all printers). However, things go back to normal after
deleting the PCL printer. I'll use the PS printer for now, and wait for HP
to release x64 drivers for multi-function lasers. Thanks.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should be able to Add a printer, point to that exact same port, and
> then choose a driver for it. It's how I've added both PCL and PS to my
> printer.
>
> I'm not sure what PCL would gain you that PS doesn't do, however. PCL
> drivers are usually faster, especially for that first page, but otherwise,
> I don't think they're any better.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Manuel Lopez

I discovered that if I give up bi-directional printer support, the pcl6
driver will work.

The hp drivers are a bit flaky--for example, long print jobs (to both ps and
pcl drivers) tend to give out of memory errors when they didn't under x86,
despite my using the same settings in both x86 and x64.

Also, turning the printer off and on causes the "new hardware found" message
to pop up.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> You should be able to Add a printer, point to that exact same port, and
> then choose a driver for it. It's how I've added both PCL and PS to my
> printer.
>
> I'm not sure what PCL would gain you that PS doesn't do, however. PCL
> drivers are usually faster, especially for that first page, but otherwise,
> I don't think they're any better.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Manuel Lopez wrote:
>> Thanks. What you say is what happened for the PS driver, but not for the
>> PCL6. I suspect it has something to do with trying to install two
>> drivers
>> to the same port, and if I had installed the PCL6 first, I'd be having
>> problems with the PS. I'll see what HP tells me (they didn't have any
>> specific steps on their website).

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Because your printer isn't in the list of supported printers, you have
>>> trick it to work. The port should be automatically created when you plug
>>> the printer in to the USB port, but it will fail because it doesn't have
>>> a driver. Then go in an manually add the HP LaserJet 4000 Series PCL6
>>> driver, and you should be able to print to it.
>>>
>>> Your best bet if this doesn't work is to go to HP and get very specific
>>> steps that will enable your particular printer. Another workaround is to
>>> use a TCP/IP print server externally to your printer, and print to that.
>>> It won't give you the multifunction portion of the device, but the
>>> printer portion of it should work just fine.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

It sounds like you're connecting with a standard printer cable, NOT via USB.
I'd strongly recommend USB for this scenario.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Manuel Lopez wrote:
> I discovered that if I give up bi-directional printer support, the pcl6
> driver will work.
>
> The hp drivers are a bit flaky--for example, long print jobs (to both ps
> and pcl drivers) tend to give out of memory errors when they didn't under
> x86, despite my using the same settings in both x86 and x64.
>
> Also, turning the printer off and on causes the "new hardware found"
> message to pop up.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You should be able to Add a printer, point to that exact same port, and
>> then choose a driver for it. It's how I've added both PCL and PS to my
>> printer.
>>
>> I'm not sure what PCL would gain you that PS doesn't do, however. PCL
>> drivers are usually faster, especially for that first page, but
>> otherwise, I don't think they're any better.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Manuel Lopez wrote:
>>> Thanks. What you say is what happened for the PS driver, but not for
>>> the PCL6. I suspect it has something to do with trying to install two
>>> drivers
>>> to the same port, and if I had installed the PCL6 first, I'd be having
>>> problems with the PS. I'll see what HP tells me (they didn't have any
>>> specific steps on their website).
>>>
>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Manuel Lopez

No, I'm connecting with USB ("(DOT4 USB) "). I'm not sure the 3380 even
has a parallel port, and my computer doesn't.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> It sounds like you're connecting with a standard printer cable, NOT via
> USB. I'd strongly recommend USB for this scenario.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Manuel Lopez wrote:
>> I discovered that if I give up bi-directional printer support, the pcl6
>> driver will work.
>>
>> The hp drivers are a bit flaky--for example, long print jobs (to both ps
>> and pcl drivers) tend to give out of memory errors when they didn't under
>> x86, despite my using the same settings in both x86 and x64.
>>
>> Also, turning the printer off and on causes the "new hardware found"
>> message to pop up.

>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> You should be able to Add a printer, point to that exact same port, and
>>> then choose a driver for it. It's how I've added both PCL and PS to my
>>> printer.
>>>
>>> I'm not sure what PCL would gain you that PS doesn't do, however. PCL
>>> drivers are usually faster, especially for that first page, but
>>> otherwise, I don't think they're any better.
>>>

>>> --
>>> Charlie.
>>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Charlie Russel - MVP

HP claims it has a parallel port, but I'm surprised by the bi-directional
issue then.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Manuel Lopez wrote:
> No, I'm connecting with USB ("(DOT4 USB) "). I'm not sure the 3380 even
> has a parallel port, and my computer doesn't.

> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> It sounds like you're connecting with a standard printer cable, NOT via
>> USB. I'd strongly recommend USB for this scenario.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Manuel Lopez wrote:
>>> I discovered that if I give up bi-directional printer support, the pcl6
>>> driver will work.
>>>
>>> The hp drivers are a bit flaky--for example, long print jobs (to both ps
>>> and pcl drivers) tend to give out of memory errors when they didn't
>>> under x86, despite my using the same settings in both x86 and x64.
>>>
>>> Also, turning the printer off and on causes the "new hardware found"
>>> message to pop up.
>>>

>>> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> message news:(E-Mail Removed)...

Manuel Lopez

You're right the 3380 does have a parallel port--it was concealed by the
panel. (But I have only USB ports on my PC.)

I reported the issues to HP, but who knows when they'll have a new driver.
They did suggest trying drivers for older printers (PCL5), so I'll try that.
On the bright side, this has been my only issue with x64--despite all the
32-bit specific custom code I run--and it does boot and run snappy.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...