Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Printers and XP64

Printers and XP64

Dennis Gordon

I got my new (used) Epson 3170 scanner today. A little beat up, but works
great under XP64.

That leaves my printers as the last problematic device.
We have 5 Xante printers for proofing of our newspapers. We proof 1"
classifieds to 13"x22" broadsheets. Xante assures me that they are working
on 64bit drivers for these printers, but in the meantime I installed them
using the only driver offered by the OS... for a much older printer. I can
print with limitations (no broadsheet) but they are sluggish to get into and
change settings. We also use a Minolta/Konica Bizhub c350 copier/printer for
color proofing. Nothing seems to work with that.
While waiting for Xante and Konica to deliver, I decided to install some of
the clerical printers to see how they worked. I put in a Brother 1270N and
1850 and they work great... for cheap lasers.
So I wonder... how is it that cheap general laser printers can work fine
with XP64, while the higher end Xantes and Minoltas that graphic
professionals work with have no support? I guess I really know the answer,
but I'm confounded why a vendor who sells expensive ($2,000+) printers
wouldn't be on top of their driver support (the rep at Xante wrote me that
XP64 has *only* been around since April 2005, so they are still working on a
functional driver... is it really that hard?).
In the meantime I'll be sizing things down to fit on letter sized paper
while our mighty production printers sit idly by...

Tony Sperling

If any of these understands PCL or Postscript, you should experiment with
that - it has rather good system support, it has been said. May require
dip-switch setting on the printer(s)?

Personally, I believe most don't think they have the personel to do the
re-write/porting, they know Vista is a year away, so what's the hurry. With
nobody else doing anything but superficial work in this field, only geeks
will buy it anyhow! (not entirely true of course, but that could well be how
it looks from their viewpoint)

Tony. . .

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I got my new (used) Epson 3170 scanner today. A little beat up, but works
>great under XP64.
>
> That leaves my printers as the last problematic device.
> We have 5 Xante printers for proofing of our newspapers. We proof 1"
> classifieds to 13"x22" broadsheets. Xante assures me that they are working
> on 64bit drivers for these printers, but in the meantime I installed them
> using the only driver offered by the OS... for a much older printer. I can
> print with limitations (no broadsheet) but they are sluggish to get into
> and change settings. We also use a Minolta/Konica Bizhub c350
> copier/printer for color proofing. Nothing seems to work with that.
> While waiting for Xante and Konica to deliver, I decided to install some
> of the clerical printers to see how they worked. I put in a Brother 1270N
> and 1850 and they work great... for cheap lasers.
> So I wonder... how is it that cheap general laser printers can work fine
> with XP64, while the higher end Xantes and Minoltas that graphic
> professionals work with have no support? I guess I really know the answer,
> but I'm confounded why a vendor who sells expensive ($2,000+) printers
> wouldn't be on top of their driver support (the rep at Xante wrote me that
> XP64 has *only* been around since April 2005, so they are still working on
> a functional driver... is it really that hard?).
> In the meantime I'll be sizing things down to fit on letter sized paper
> while our mighty production printers sit idly by...

Dennis Gordon

That's exactly what I figured, unfortunately....

> Personally, I believe most don't think they have the personel to do the
> re-write/porting, they know Vista is a year away, so what's the hurry.
> With nobody else doing anything but superficial work in this field, only
> geeks will buy it anyhow! (not entirely true of course, but that could
> well be how it looks from their viewpoint)
>
> Tony. . .

Tony Sperling

Yes, but at least whoever they are, and whatever they are doing, they'd have
to keep their organization trim and might use 'our' OS as a 'training base'.
This may mean (in the best of worlds), that stuff will trickle down the
consumer drain - and this is the prime reason why I hold a keen eye on the
goings-on at PAMD64. And new things do show up regularly. I definitly refuse
to become 'bitter'. Although, 'unfortunate', as you said so well.

Tony. . .

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> That's exactly what I figured, unfortunately....
>

>> Personally, I believe most don't think they have the personel to do the
>> re-write/porting, they know Vista is a year away, so what's the hurry.
>> With nobody else doing anything but superficial work in this field, only
>> geeks will buy it anyhow! (not entirely true of course, but that could
>> well be how it looks from their viewpoint)
>>
>> Tony. . .

Dennis Gordon

Actually I'm not bitter at all. I knew going into this that there were
driver issues; and it's been said over and over that the average prosumer
doesn't need to make the switch until late next year (if at all). But with
hardware catching up to the software (after years of "Hey a celeron is
plenty good enough to run Quark...") I'd like to see at least a sparkle of
development on the productivity side of things. I guess XP64 is still too
ahead of the curve...

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yes, but at least whoever they are, and whatever they are doing, they'd
> have to keep their organization trim and might use 'our' OS as a 'training
> base'. This may mean (in the best of worlds), that stuff will trickle down
> the consumer drain - and this is the prime reason why I hold a keen eye on
> the goings-on at PAMD64. And new things do show up regularly. I definitly
> refuse to become 'bitter'. Although, 'unfortunate', as you said so well.
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> That's exactly what I figured, unfortunately....
>>

>>> Personally, I believe most don't think they have the personel to do the
>>> re-write/porting, they know Vista is a year away, so what's the hurry.
>>> With nobody else doing anything but superficial work in this field, only
>>> geeks will buy it anyhow! (not entirely true of course, but that could
>>> well be how it looks from their viewpoint)
>>>
>>> Tony. . .

Dennis Gordon

Of course I meant "...software catching up with hardware..." i.e.
InDesign....

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Actually I'm not bitter at all. I knew going into this that there were
> driver issues; and it's been said over and over that the average prosumer
> doesn't need to make the switch until late next year (if at all). But with
> hardware catching up to the software (after years of "Hey a celeron is
> plenty good enough to run Quark...") I'd like to see at least a sparkle of
> development on the productivity side of things. I guess XP64 is still too
> ahead of the curve...

Tony Sperling

Jeez! I am sorry, Dennis - I've gotten this environmental damage from
driving a taxi-cab for over twenty years - in my taxi, I can talk openly
with everyone about anything. You didn't sound bitter; I didn't think you
were, and I certainly wouldn't have suggested anything of the sort if I
thought you were. I was reflecting, saying it would almost be alright to
grow bitter. It has gone to the point where I can still be polite, but no
longer tactful in the proper sense. I'm not going to start an avalanche of
excuses, but merely giggle silently over that remark about the Celeron -
that's hilarious. And it made me think of the character in the film who
answers the question "What can I get you?" with "Ah, Champaine would be
plenty good enough for me."

This was generally a good day for me, so I just had a sneek premiere of my
weekly ration of Talisker, and to take this over to something entirely
different, this brings along the question of wether or not 'chill filtering'
ruins a decent whisky? This is a burning question in some quarters that I
enjoy listening to. Personally, I hope the Talisker is not chill filtered,
here is a product that has been perfected over maybe thousands of years of
'hands-on-technology' and my best guess is that modern technology will be
hard pressed to perfect that even further - but if it is chill filtered,
then that kills the whole issue for me since, I think Man is obliged to use
technology to the best results he can dream up. XP64 still too far ahead?
Yes, I think you are right, at least in the sense that for 'some' - and I
don't neccessarily mean MS - bulding a greate OS is not enough. That makes
us 'suckers' but what will it make those that forfeit economical return
right now? You cannot make extra turn-over by waiting for a bigger wave!

Gosh, I'm sorry, Dennis. Blame it on the Talisker.

Cheers, Tony. . .