Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Renaming Administrator

Renaming Administrator

=?Utf-8?B?aGloaQ==?=

Hi there, stupid question:

I renamed the Administrator account (for security reasons) and created
another account (temporarily an Admin group member). During the same session
both were available
choices to switch to, but now after a reboot I only have
access to the new account I created. How can I
see both accounts as choices to login into? Is it safe to delete the
current new account and hope that I get a login for the original Admin
account after reboot/logoff?

THANKS

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

The only way I know to access Administrator at log in is either through Safe
Mode or enabling Classic log on.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"hihi" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi there, stupid question:
>
> I renamed the Administrator account (for security reasons) and created
> another account (temporarily an Admin group member). During the same
> session
> both were available
> choices to switch to, but now after a reboot I only have
> access to the new account I created. How can I
> see both accounts as choices to login into? Is it safe to delete the
> current new account and hope that I get a login for the original Admin
> account after reboot/logoff?
>
> THANKS

Bruce Chambers

hihi wrote:
> Hi there, stupid question:
>
> I renamed the Administrator account (for security reasons) and created
> another account (temporarily an Admin group member). During the same session
> both were available
> choices to switch to, but now after a reboot I only have
> access to the new account I created. How can I
> see both accounts as choices to login into? Is it safe to delete the
> current new account and hope that I get a login for the original Admin
> account after reboot/logoff?
>
> THANKS

As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
created, the built-in Administrator account (regardless of what it's
named) will no longer be displayed on the Welcome Screen. This is a
default security feature. By design, the only way to log into the
Administrator account of WinXP Pro, is by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
the Welcome Screen, or rebooting into Safe Mode.

The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
in case something corrupts your regular account(s).

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I run as Administrator anyway. Bad practice, but its soooooooooooooooooo
goood.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hihi wrote:
>> Hi there, stupid question:
>>
>> I renamed the Administrator account (for security reasons) and created
>> another account (temporarily an Admin group member). During the same
>> session both were available
>> choices to switch to, but now after a reboot I only have
>> access to the new account I created. How can I
>> see both accounts as choices to login into? Is it safe to delete the
>> current new account and hope that I get a login for the original Admin
>> account after reboot/logoff?
>>
>> THANKS

> As you've learned, once any additional user accounts have been
> created, the built-in Administrator account (regardless of what it's
> named) will no longer be displayed on the Welcome Screen. This is a
> default security feature. By design, the only way to log into the
> Administrator account of WinXP Pro, is by pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL twice at
> the Welcome Screen, or rebooting into Safe Mode.
>
> The built-in Administrator account really isn't intended to be
> used for day-to-day normal use. The standard security practice is to
> set a strong password on it and use it only to create another account
> for regular use, reserving the Administrator account as a "back door"
> in case something corrupts your regular account(s).
>
> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Bruce Chambers

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> I run as Administrator anyway. Bad practice, but its soooooooooooooooooo
> goood.

As long as you're willing and able to deal with the potential
consequences, the choice is certainly yours. A technically competent
user who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions
can usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so
myself. I simply don't recommend it for the majority of people.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

both at once. - RAH

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Well, I have my Windows FireWall turned, AntiSpyware, AntiVirus installed
and fully update, Automatic Updates turned on, I don't go to p0rn sites,
don't go to sites that harbour malicious programs such as WAREZ sites, and I
back up regularly.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
>> I run as Administrator anyway. Bad practice, but its soooooooooooooooooo
>> goood.

> As long as you're willing and able to deal with the potential
> consequences, the choice is certainly yours. A technically competent user
> who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can
> usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so myself. I
> simply don't recommend it for the majority of people.
>

> --
>
> Bruce Chambers
>
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

> both at once. - RAH

Randy

Yeah, but do you take your vitamins, exercise, and pray before bed?
hehhehheh... Hulkamania rulz.

news:eEb$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Well, I have my Windows FireWall turned, AntiSpyware, AntiVirus installed
> and fully update, Automatic Updates turned on, I don't go to p0rn sites,
> don't go to sites that harbour malicious programs such as WAREZ sites, and

> back up regularly.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> >> I run as Administrator anyway. Bad practice, but its

soooooooooooooooooo
> >> goood.

> > As long as you're willing and able to deal with the potential
> > consequences, the choice is certainly yours. A technically competent

user
> > who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can
> > usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so myself.

> > simply don't recommend it for the majority of people.
> >

> > --
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> >
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
> > both at once. - RAH

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Sometimes :$
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Randy" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Yeah, but do you take your vitamins, exercise, and pray before bed?
> hehhehheh... Hulkamania rulz.

> news:eEb$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Well, I have my Windows FireWall turned, AntiSpyware, AntiVirus installed
>> and fully update, Automatic Updates turned on, I don't go to p0rn sites,
>> don't go to sites that harbour malicious programs such as WAREZ sites,
>> and

>> back up regularly.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Bruce Chambers" <(E-Mail Removed)3t> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> soooooooooooooooooo
>> >

>> > As long as you're willing and able to deal with the potential
>> > consequences, the choice is certainly yours. A technically competent

> user
>> > who is aware of the risks and knows how to take proper precautions can
>> > usually safely operate with administrative privileges; I do so myself.

>> > simply don't recommend it for the majority of people.
>> >

>> > --
>> >
>> > Bruce Chambers
>> >
>> > Help us help you:
>> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>> > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>> >
>> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having
>> > both at once. - RAH

=?Utf-8?B?aGloaQ==?=

Okay thanks for the info (especially the ctrl-alt-del thing -- I'll try it).
Sorry I havn't replied, since I was away.

I want to give the original Admin account user settings (ie, desktop, IE
fav's, et al)
be copied so all user accounts can access and also update the settings. Is
this possible?

THANKS for your help!