Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Core Processors & Windows

Dual Core Processors & Windows

Arnie

Folks,

Does anyone know if windows or windows development can be optimized for dual
core processors?

Can a user direct a process to a particular core in Windows?
Can a user direct a particular thread to the hyperthreaded part of a single
core CPU?

Or is it entirely up to the Windows OS.

-jeff

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

I know that x64 Windows supports it but not unless you do a BIOS update.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Arnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks,
>
> Does anyone know if windows or windows development can be optimized for
> dual
> core processors?
>
> Can a user direct a process to a particular core in Windows?
> Can a user direct a particular thread to the hyperthreaded part of a
> single
> core CPU?
>
> Or is it entirely up to the Windows OS.
>
> -jeff

Mercury

1. SMP support has been included 'in the box' for the NT family of OS for
years.

2. S/W dev for SMP/ multiple cores (no difference programming wise) requires
effort to do properly- it is a 'normal' part of programming for those that
want to make use of it.

3. In task manager you can direct a process and all its threads at run time
to a specific CPU (right click on the task on the processes tab and Set
Process Affinity is what I think it is labelled (this is a single core
laptop so i can't verify). When programming you can use the Win32 API called
SetProcessAffinity.

4. I don't see an API to specify affinity by thread. Doing so on a HT CPU
would IMO be foolish as the second core is not 'real'.

By default all the scheduling on multipl CPU's is automatic. It runs really
well and you would need good reason to want to tinker with affinity (EG a 32
way system and an app that needs special treatment). HT is special as it is
not a real process and you will never be able to get 200% out of a HT CPU,
maybe 30%.

"Arnie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Folks,
>
> Does anyone know if windows or windows development can be optimized for
> dual
> core processors?

1,2

> Can a user direct a process to a particular core in Windows?

3.
> Can a user direct a particular thread to the hyperthreaded part of a
> single
> core CPU?

4.

> Or is it entirely up to the Windows OS.
>
> -jeff

Wayne Wastier

Mercury wrote:
> 1. SMP support has been included 'in the box' for the NT family of OS
> for years.

Except for XP Home edition, which doesn't have SMP support.

--
Wayne Wastier
Z-80 - AMD-64

Mercury

oh? thats sad

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mercury wrote:
>> 1. SMP support has been included 'in the box' for the NT family of OS
>> for years.
>>

> Except for XP Home edition, which doesn't have SMP support.
>
> --
> Wayne Wastier
> Z-80 - AMD-64
> HwayneW

Wayne Wastier

Mercury wrote:
> oh? thats sad

I know.

Seriously, there was talk about this when XP was in beta, and people heard
that the home edition wouldn't have SMP support. The explanation was, "Home
users don't need support for SMP." I hope this changes in Vista. (p)

--
Wayne Wastier
Z-80 - AMD-64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

At a computer store in town, they have these step up to XP Professional
flyers, it seems that the reason why XP Home did not get is because its
considered a PowerUser feature. I suspect it will continue to be that way
with Vista, but its still too early to determine, right now, its considered
as a feature in the Ultimate Edition of Vista which is the premium offering
in the Vista consumer branch.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:OZK8bL%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Mercury wrote:
>> oh? thats sad
>>

> I know.
>
> Seriously, there was talk about this when XP was in beta, and people heard
> that the home edition wouldn't have SMP support. The explanation was,
> "Home users don't need support for SMP." I hope this changes in Vista.
> (p)
>

> --
> Wayne Wastier
> Z-80 - AMD-64
> HwayneW

Yuhong Bao

Remember that when Microsoft products count processors they are counting
physical processors, not virtual processors.

Yuhong Bao

news:uyxq$(E-Mail Removed)...
> At a computer store in town, they have these step up to XP Professional
> flyers, it seems that the reason why XP Home did not get is because its
> considered a PowerUser feature. I suspect it will continue to be that way
> with Vista, but its still too early to determine, right now, its
> considered as a feature in the Ultimate Edition of Vista which is the
> premium offering in the Vista consumer branch.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:OZK8bL%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Mercury wrote:
>>> oh? thats sad
>>>

>> I know.
>>
>> Seriously, there was talk about this when XP was in beta, and people
>> heard that the home edition wouldn't have SMP support. The explanation
>> was, "Home users don't need support for SMP." I hope this changes in
>> Vista. (p)
>>

>> --
>> Wayne Wastier
>> Z-80 - AMD-64
>> HwayneW

Colin Barnhorst

In what sense is a multi-core processor a virtual processor?

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...