Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Has anybody tried this software?

Has anybody tried this software?

Carwyn Hollett

Hello all,
I am thinking of going x64 but would like to know if anybody has used
the core software I use and if there have been any problems with it. The
software is as follows;
LANDesk Management suite 8.5
Wise package studio 5.5
VMWare 5.0
NAI Virus Scan Enterprise 8i
Nero 6
Acrobat Reader 7.0

The only peripherals I use are a USB memory stick and Lexmark PCL printer
(T620)

Would appreciate any feedback from people who have used any of this
software.

Tony Sperling

Hi, sensible post, this one - ask first!

There is really only a few items where I can contribute, VMWare5 is released
as x64 compatible, and has received much praise, I believe. Many claim they
are having trouble making Acrobat locate their printer, making them go for
all sorts of PDF aware alternatives - and here we touch upon, perhaps, the
prime question, that you forgot to list. . .your printer(s)! O.K. - That's
on the Hardware list.

Personally, I have had no issues at all with Acrobat Reader, and my printer
is a HP PSC, and they make a brilliant team. Nero works fine, except for
'InCD', which isn't supported quite yet.

If you decide to go along with this, do take care to investigate what
Hardware the OS supports and then build/purchase your system according to
that, quite a number of people have lost hair and money over driver and BIOS
issues. Me? I just jumped in head first and got lucky!

Last thing - get aquainted with 'PlanetAMD64.com' indispensable source for
every one of us, I'm sure.

Tony. . .

"Carwyn Hollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
> I am thinking of going x64 but would like to know if anybody has used
> the core software I use and if there have been any problems with it. The
> software is as follows;
> LANDesk Management suite 8.5
> Wise package studio 5.5
> VMWare 5.0
> NAI Virus Scan Enterprise 8i
> Nero 6
> Acrobat Reader 7.0
>
> The only peripherals I use are a USB memory stick and Lexmark PCL printer
> (T620)
>
> Would appreciate any feedback from people who have used any of this
> software.

=?Utf-8?B?Q2FybG9z?=

Both Nero 6 and the upcoming 7 work.
Haven't tried InCD.
Acrobat reader 7.03 works fine.
Carlos

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> Hi, sensible post, this one - ask first!
>
> There is really only a few items where I can contribute, VMWare5 is released
> as x64 compatible, and has received much praise, I believe. Many claim they
> are having trouble making Acrobat locate their printer, making them go for
> all sorts of PDF aware alternatives - and here we touch upon, perhaps, the
> prime question, that you forgot to list. . .your printer(s)! O.K. - That's
> on the Hardware list.
>
> Personally, I have had no issues at all with Acrobat Reader, and my printer
> is a HP PSC, and they make a brilliant team. Nero works fine, except for
> 'InCD', which isn't supported quite yet.
>
> If you decide to go along with this, do take care to investigate what
> Hardware the OS supports and then build/purchase your system according to
> that, quite a number of people have lost hair and money over driver and BIOS
> issues. Me? I just jumped in head first and got lucky!
>
> Last thing - get aquainted with 'PlanetAMD64.com' indispensable source for
> every one of us, I'm sure.
>
> Tony. . .
>

> "Carwyn Hollett" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hello all,
> > I am thinking of going x64 but would like to know if anybody has used
> > the core software I use and if there have been any problems with it. The
> > software is as follows;
> > LANDesk Management suite 8.5
> > Wise package studio 5.5
> > VMWare 5.0
> > NAI Virus Scan Enterprise 8i
> > Nero 6
> > Acrobat Reader 7.0
> >
> > The only peripherals I use are a USB memory stick and Lexmark PCL printer
> > (T620)
> >
> > Would appreciate any feedback from people who have used any of this
> > software.

Charlie Russel - MVP

the AV is probably not going to work, but they may have an x64 version.
Don't know about LANDesk. The Wise packager should work fine, assuming it's
purely 32bit (wise had some 16 bit legacy for a while, but I don't know
versions. Assuming this is fairly current, you should be fine.) VMWare 5.0
works on x64 as a host. And version 5.5 (in beta, at RC stage), you can have
x64 guests. It appears to work just fine. Nero works well, except the InCD
thing. Acrobat reader is no issue. If you want to print to Acrobat, you'll
have to go a non-Adobe route. (there are good ones out there that work with
x64.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Carwyn Hollett wrote:
> Hello all,
> I am thinking of going x64 but would like to know if anybody has used
> the core software I use and if there have been any problems with it. The
> software is as follows;
> LANDesk Management suite 8.5
> Wise package studio 5.5
> VMWare 5.0
> NAI Virus Scan Enterprise 8i
> Nero 6
> Acrobat Reader 7.0
>
> The only peripherals I use are a USB memory stick and Lexmark PCL printer
> (T620)
>
> Would appreciate any feedback from people who have used any of this
> software.

Carwyn Hollett

Thanks to all for the feed back. will give it a go over the next few weeks
and provide feedback to group.

news:Ou%(E-Mail Removed)...