Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > DCOM CRASHING MY COMPUTER!!!

DCOM CRASHING MY COMPUTER!!!

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Firstly I would like to apologise as this will be a long post but I am hoping
someone can help, so lots of information.

Runnig a Dual Opteron DualCore workstation , 8G of RAM,but I have spent a
couple of weeks trying to stop x64 from crashing, but now I have done a fresh
install and apart from hardware drivers the only other program is a adware
scan.( I am operating behind a router NAT and a service provider NAT)

The following is what I can find out after a re-boot, which sometimes is
done by the computer or by me if it locks up.

EVENTVIEWER:
SYSTEM:
0.41seconds: Microsoft(R)Windows(R)5.02 3790 Service Pack 1 Multiprocessor
Free.
0.41seconds: Event log service was started.

0.41seconds: The COM sub system is suppressing duplicate event log entries
for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be controlled by
a REG-DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the following
registry key HKLIM\Software\Microsoft\Ole\Eventlog.

0.47seconds: The Application Experience Lookup service started successfully.

0.48seconds: ERROR: The machine-default permission settings do not grant
Local Activation permission for Com Server application with CLSID
{555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7} to the NT AUTHORITY\LOCAL SERVICE SID
(S-1-5-19). This security permission can be modified using the Component
Services administrative tool.
0.48seconds: ERROR: (The above is repeated)!
NOTE FROM ME. This refers to : REG Z C\Windows\System
32\rundll32.exe.....Run DLL as an application. ( Within the Windows file it
is the only dll file that does not have an dll icon , it's icon is a blank
page)

The timings jump back at this point:
0.24seconds: The IPSec Driver is starting in Bypass mode. No IPSec security
is being applied while this computer starts up. IPSec poloices, if they have
been assigned, will be applied to this computer after the IPSec services
start.

From this point the computer goes into start up.

In APPLICATION VIEWER:
0.47seconds: The EventSystem sub system is suppressing duplicate event log
entries for a duration of 86400 seconds. The suppression timeout can be
controlled by a REG_DWORD value named SuppressDuplicateDuration under the
following registry key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft|EventSystem\EventLog.

0.50seconds: The description for Event ID (1800) in Source (SecurityCenter)
cannot be found. The local computer may not have the necessary registry
information or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE = flag to retrieve this description;
see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
event.

I do not know what information it refers to as it ends there.

0.49seconds: Performance counters for WmiApRpl(WimApRpl) service were
removed sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system
Last Counter and last Help registry entries.

0.49seconds: Performance counters for the WmiApRpl(WmiApRpl) service were
loaded sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned to
this service.

SECURITY VIEWER:
Success Audit (through out the time frame......no errors)

That is it, the only other problem is when I open the windows Security
Center it cause's broken lines across both screens.

If anyone can understand this PLEASE let me know.
Mark

Tony Sperling

Hello.

I really shouldn't be answering this, because I do not know. Something in
there mentioned 'permission settings' - are you shure you're alright there?
But Event ID's can be searched for in the Knowledge Base, and so can
keywords in the error messages themselves.

Did that machine ever run anything else, besides win64, or is it deployed
specifically for this purpose? Could it be in need of drivers or BIOS
updates for you specific networking Hardware?

Happy hunting!

Tony. . .

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
> event.
>
> I do not know what information it refers to as it ends there.
>
> 0.49seconds: Performance counters for WmiApRpl(WimApRpl) service were
> removed sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system
> Last Counter and last Help registry entries.
>
> 0.49seconds: Performance counters for the WmiApRpl(WmiApRpl) service were
> loaded sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned
> this service.
>
> SECURITY VIEWER:
> Success Audit (through out the time frame......no errors)
>

> That is it, the only other problem is when I open the windows Security
> Center it cause's broken lines across both screens.
>
> If anyone can understand this PLEASE let me know.

Mercury

I think you are assuming DCOM is at fault without real evidence.
The eventlog entries are somewhat normal or IMO no indication of an
association with a crash. Min you that depends on the definition of
"crash" - see below. Perhaps there are two problems?

What stop code(s) do you get? Do you get PM dump? There hould be an entry
in the eventlog for the stop code.

If the machine hard locks - mousepointer won't move, caps lock key doesn't
work and all activity has ceased, then I would say it is hardware.

A component could be 'racing' from error to error and cause a drastic
slowdown. On a multi CPU system I would expect the system to still be
responsive unless it locked some exclusive system resource.

You can check for the COM component via Admin Tools, component services and
look for 555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7 there or search the registry
for the component and find out what it is associated with. Ok is that what
you mean by "This refers to : REG Z
C\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe.....Run DLL as an application. " What is
rundll32 trying to run?

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
> see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
> event.
>
> I do not know what information it refers to as it ends there.
>
> 0.49seconds: Performance counters for WmiApRpl(WimApRpl) service were
> removed sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system
> Last Counter and last Help registry entries.
>
> 0.49seconds: Performance counters for the WmiApRpl(WmiApRpl) service were
> loaded sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned
> this service.
>
> SECURITY VIEWER:
> Success Audit (through out the time frame......no errors)
>

> That is it, the only other problem is when I open the windows Security
> Center it cause's broken lines across both screens.
>
> If anyone can understand this PLEASE let me know.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Thank you Tony and Mecury for your input.

And yes Mecury you are right about the hardware issue. I did not explain
myself correctly in that I knew DCOM was not at fault, DCOM Server Process
Launcher in Services has a defalut setting to shut down the computer on First
Failure , it was a question of what was causing the failure. As for the
Rundll my back tracking was at fault as the entry actually refers to a
registry entry which then leads to its proper DCOM Config association :

Registry:
Local Service: ab(Default) REG-Z ShellHWDectection
abThreading Model REG-Z Free

Prg ID: ab(Default) REG-Z HWDeviceCustom Properties1.

Version Independant Prog ID. ab(Default) Reg-Z HWDeviceCustom Properties.

DCOM (association) HWDeviceCustomProperties.

How do I work out which piece of hardware it is refering to? I do not see
any stop codes or PM dumps, unless it is in plain English I may miss
something, everthing I put in my first post was how it was in the event logs
around the time of the problem I did not leave anything out .

In my first post I mention the " Suppression of Duplicate Event Log
entries", in DCOM Config there is Sens Logon Events and Sens Logon Events2
both with the same Application ID, is this normal?

Just to let you know, this is a new workstation I have built for x64 and
nothing else, all the drivers are up to date, I use a wireless bridge to the
home router, where all the home computers access the net but not each other(
there is no home network set up in the true sense of a network).

Regards.

Mark

"Mercury" wrote:

> [...]
> > see Help and Support for details. The following information is part of the
> > event.
> >
> > I do not know what information it refers to as it ends there.
> >
> > 0.49seconds: Performance counters for WmiApRpl(WimApRpl) service were
> > removed sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the system
> > Last Counter and last Help registry entries.
> >
> > 0.49seconds: Performance counters for the WmiApRpl(WmiApRpl) service were
> > loaded sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new index values assigned
> > this service.
> >
> > SECURITY VIEWER:
> > Success Audit (through out the time frame......no errors)
> >

> > That is it, the only other problem is when I open the windows Security
> > Center it cause's broken lines across both screens.
> >
> > If anyone can understand this PLEASE let me know.

Mercury

I'd start with a good thrashing of memtest86 - no rrrs are acceptable.
Try directx video tests - that will bring out any graphics related issues. -
dxdiag.exe.

Any other h/w speicifc errors by trying to provoke them eg network copy some
large files repeatedly, many many small files repeatedly...

check copu temps and psu voltages as you go.

Then prime95 for a final stability check.

sorry, been off air.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > the
>> > event.
>> >
>> > I do not know what information it refers to as it ends there.
>> >
>> > 0.49seconds: Performance counters for WmiApRpl(WimApRpl) service were
>> > removed sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new values of the
>> > system
>> > Last Counter and last Help registry entries.
>> >
>> > 0.49seconds: Performance counters for the WmiApRpl(WmiApRpl) service
>> > were
>> > loaded sucessfully. The Record Data contains the new index values
>> > assigned
>> > this service.
>> >
>> > SECURITY VIEWER:
>> > Success Audit (through out the time frame......no errors)
>> >

>> > That is it, the only other problem is when I open the windows Security
>> > Center it cause's broken lines across both screens.
>> >
>> > If anyone can understand this PLEASE let me know.

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Hi Mecury,

Where do I find Prime95, the web site I found was a site looking for new
prime numbers, but I did not see a download for memory testing specificaly,
just downloads to become part of the network search for new primes.

I have tested for virus's as I was intermitently finding CLSID followed by
a few numbers (not a full string I could make sense of)coming up in black
text at the top left hand corner of my desktop. Very strange!

Will try what you have suggested. Thank you very much for getting back to
me, I appreciate the help.

Mark.

"Mercury" wrote:

> [...]
> >>
> >> If the machine hard locks - mousepointer won't move, caps lock key
> >> doesn't
> >> work and all activity has ceased, then I would say it is hardware.
> >>
> >> A component could be 'racing' from error to error and cause a drastic
> >> slowdown. On a multi CPU system I would expect the system to still be
> >> responsive unless it locked some exclusive system resource.
> >>
> >> You can check for the COM component via Admin Tools, component services
> >> and
> >> look for 555F3418-D99E-4E51-800A-6E89CFD8B1D7 there or search the
> >> registry
> >> for the component and find out what it is associated with. Ok is that
> >> what
> >> you mean by "This refers to : REG Z
> >> C\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe.....Run DLL as an application. " What is
> >> rundll32 trying to run?
> >>
> >> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message

Mercury

sorry about typing for the moment...

prime95 is at www.mersenne.org you will want ot run the torture test.
try anti spyware procedures as well.

you said dual core, dual cpu opteron? This implies ECC / or registered
memory, so check ram ratings and bios settings - I would expect this to be
really stable.

You could check for a motherboard specifc news group, or if you can't find
one try posting at alt.comp.mainboard.periphs.asus - but say straight up if
you don't have an Asus mobo - they are a good bunch there and often help
'others'.

But lets not get off the beaten track. You could try a progrssive strip down
or build up to see if a h/w item is causing the issue. Check BIOS version,
run sigverif.exe to check all drivers and check for updates, also try to
nail down the circumstances under which the crash occurs.

- Tim

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> [...]
>> > any stop codes or PM dumps, unless it is in plain English I may miss
>> > something, everthing I put in my first post was how it was in the event
>> > logs
>> > around the time of the problem I did not leave anything out .
>> >
>> > In my first post I mention the " Suppression of Duplicate Event Log
>> > entries", in DCOM Config there is Sens Logon Events and Sens Logon
>> > Events2
>> > both with the same Application ID, is this normal?
>> >
>> > Just to let you know, this is a new workstation I have built for x64
>> > and
>> > nothing else, all the drivers are up to date, I use a wireless bridge
>> > the
>> > home router, where all the home computers access the net but not each
>> > other(
>> > there is no home network set up in the true sense of a network).

Wayne Wastier

I would check the RAM. http://www.memtest86.com/#download0

--
Wayne Wastier
Z-80 - AMD-64

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Thank you, I will let you know how it all turns out.

Mark

"Mercury" wrote:

> sorry about typing for the moment...
>
> prime95 is at www.mersenne.org you will want ot run the torture test.
> try anti spyware procedures as well.
>
> you said dual core, dual cpu opteron? This implies ECC / or registered
> memory, so check ram ratings and bios settings - I would expect this to be
> really stable.
>
> You could check for a motherboard specifc news group, or if you can't find
> one try posting at alt.comp.mainboard.periphs.asus - but say straight up if
> you don't have an Asus mobo - they are a good bunch there and often help
> 'others'.
>
> But lets not get off the beaten track. You could try a progrssive strip down
> or build up to see if a h/w item is causing the issue. Check BIOS version,
> run sigverif.exe to check all drivers and check for updates, also try to
> nail down the circumstances under which the crash occurs.
>
> - Tim
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Mecury,
> >
> > Where do I find Prime95, the web site I found was a site looking for new
> > prime numbers, but I did not see a download for memory testing
> > specificaly,
> > just downloads to become part of the network search for new primes.
> >
> > I have tested for virus's as I was intermitently finding CLSID followed
> > by
> > a few numbers (not a full string I could make sense of)coming up in black
> > text at the top left hand corner of my desktop. Very strange!
> >
> > Will try what you have suggested. Thank you very much for getting back to
> > me, I appreciate the help.
> >
> > Mark.
> >
> > "Mercury" wrote:
> >
> >> I'd start with a good thrashing of memtest86 - no rrrs are acceptable.
> >> Try directx video tests - that will bring out any graphics related
> >> issues. -
> >> dxdiag.exe.
> >>
> >> Any other h/w speicifc errors by trying to provoke them eg network copy
> >> some
> >> large files repeatedly, many many small files repeatedly...
> >>
> >> check copu temps and psu voltages as you go.
> >>
> >> Then prime95 for a final stability check.
> >>
> >> sorry, been off air.
> >>
> >> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

Hi Tim

Just to let you know, prime 95 or memtest 86+ do not work as memtest does
not support multi cpus or multi dual core cpus and Prime does not advise
using itself as a true memory tester as it cannot recognise a lot of memory
faults. Memtest just hangs on test 4, normally crashing of memtest
represents a faulty cpu but as it does not support dual cores, I am not sure
this is the case.

As far as drivers, bios etc are concerned I am up to date, there is a
revised version of my bios but apparently it has it's own problems causing or
falsely reporting cpu tempreture rises by 20c. Any improvements it offers, do
not relate to the problems I am having.

I noticed during a fresh x64 installation the screen would flash from the
installation screen to black during device and hardware installation( is this
normal), some programs I have installed also seem to have not been installed
fully, with windows updates not showing at all in add remove programs when
'show updates' is chosen.

Many thanks for all your advice, I think it is time to push components back
to the manufacturer's, as I have been fighting this battle for six weeks now.
I paid a lot of money in the hope that at least everything would work. Well
that was flawed logic.

Gotta laugh, but maybe not just today.

Mark

"Mercury" wrote:

> sorry about typing for the moment...
>
> prime95 is at www.mersenne.org you will want ot run the torture test.
> try anti spyware procedures as well.
>
> you said dual core, dual cpu opteron? This implies ECC / or registered
> memory, so check ram ratings and bios settings - I would expect this to be
> really stable.
>
> You could check for a motherboard specifc news group, or if you can't find
> one try posting at alt.comp.mainboard.periphs.asus - but say straight up if
> you don't have an Asus mobo - they are a good bunch there and often help
> 'others'.
>
> But lets not get off the beaten track. You could try a progrssive strip down
> or build up to see if a h/w item is causing the issue. Check BIOS version,
> run sigverif.exe to check all drivers and check for updates, also try to
> nail down the circumstances under which the crash occurs.
>
> - Tim
>

> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi Mecury,
> >
> > Where do I find Prime95, the web site I found was a site looking for new
> > prime numbers, but I did not see a download for memory testing
> > specificaly,
> > just downloads to become part of the network search for new primes.
> >
> > I have tested for virus's as I was intermitently finding CLSID followed
> > by
> > a few numbers (not a full string I could make sense of)coming up in black
> > text at the top left hand corner of my desktop. Very strange!
> >
> > Will try what you have suggested. Thank you very much for getting back to
> > me, I appreciate the help.
> >
> > Mark.
> >
> > "Mercury" wrote:
> >
> >> I'd start with a good thrashing of memtest86 - no rrrs are acceptable.
> >> Try directx video tests - that will bring out any graphics related
> >> issues. -
> >> dxdiag.exe.
> >>
> >> Any other h/w speicifc errors by trying to provoke them eg network copy
> >> some
> >> large files repeatedly, many many small files repeatedly...
> >>
> >> check copu temps and psu voltages as you go.
> >>
> >> Then prime95 for a final stability check.
> >>
> >> sorry, been off air.
> >>
> >> "Mark" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

DCOM+WinXP2+Different Subnet subashjayan@gmail.com Cisco 0 12-15-2005 11:39 AM
how can i use outlook for connecting to comp.dcom.sys.cisco ok Cisco 4 10-27-2005 02:17 PM
comp.sys.mac.games.misc,comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.misc,comp.mail.pegasus-mail.ms-windows,comp.databases.paradox,comp.dcom.sys.cisco . Cisco 0 06-19-2004 07:48 AM
DCOM Woes Mark A. Chadwick MCSE 2 04-02-2004 06:29 PM
Accessing DCOM components from the code behind pages and using sessions to store DCOM object handles Alex ASP .Net 3 12-02-2003 01:34 AM

Advertisments