Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > IE 64bit

IE 64bit

Dennis Gordon

So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64? Why does Windows
Update open in 64 bit and then immediately request that I open the 32 bit
version so that it can continue? Why does IE64 attempt to install Media
Player 10 when I try to open a video on MSN, and then tell me that it can't
install because it can't determine my operating system, although right above
it it says that I'm running Windows Server 2003; and since I already have
MP10, why does it think I still need it? So many questions....

OTOH, after working all day in XP64, using InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat and
Quark, as well as the usual email, FTP and internet stuff, I've gotta say
that XP64 is solid. Even old Quark 4, the king of random crashes in Windows,
didn't conk out even once. That's something. Even got Nero to install
without any problems; and a Xante representative has promised me 64bit
printer drivers soon. I barely touched XP Pro all day, except when I needed
to use the 16bit KPT installer to add some plugins to PShop, and do a few
scans, and my Epson scanner with (presumably) 64 bit drivers will be here in
a coupla days.

I've also been running DIRMS as my defragger. It runs really fast from the
command prompt.

Brendan Green

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of ActiveX controls out there are
32-bit only, and don't work in IE64. Thus, the default IE on x64 is the
32-bit version.

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64? Why does Windows
> Update open in 64 bit and then immediately request that I open the 32 bit
> version so that it can continue? Why does IE64 attempt to install Media
> Player 10 when I try to open a video on MSN, and then tell me that it
> can't install because it can't determine my operating system, although
> right above it it says that I'm running Windows Server 2003; and since I
> already have MP10, why does it think I still need it? So many
> questions....
>
> OTOH, after working all day in XP64, using InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat
> and Quark, as well as the usual email, FTP and internet stuff, I've gotta
> say that XP64 is solid. Even old Quark 4, the king of random crashes in
> Windows, didn't conk out even once. That's something. Even got Nero to
> install without any problems; and a Xante representative has promised me
> 64bit printer drivers soon. I barely touched XP Pro all day, except when I
> needed to use the 16bit KPT installer to add some plugins to PShop, and do
> a few scans, and my Epson scanner with (presumably) 64 bit drivers will be
> here in a coupla days.
>
> I've also been running DIRMS as my defragger. It runs really fast from the
> command prompt.

Wayne Wastier

Dennis Gordon wrote:
> So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64?

Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus, the
need for both versions.
--
Wayne Wastier
Z-80 - AMD-64

Dennis Gordon

I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Dennis Gordon wrote:
> > So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64?

> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

the
> need for both versions.
> --
> Wayne Wastier
> Z-80 - AMD-64
> HwayneW

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Brendan Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of ActiveX controls out there
> are 32-bit only, and don't work in IE64. Thus, the default IE on x64 is
> the 32-bit version.

Correct. So we currently set the default browser to be the 32-bit one.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Brendan Green" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but a lot of ActiveX controls out there
> are 32-bit only, and don't work in IE64. Thus, the default IE on x64 is
> the 32-bit version.
>
> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64? Why does
>> Windows Update open in 64 bit and then immediately request that I open
>> the 32 bit version so that it can continue? Why does IE64 attempt to
>> install Media Player 10 when I try to open a video on MSN, and then tell
>> me that it can't install because it can't determine my operating system,
>> although right above it it says that I'm running Windows Server 2003; and
>> since I already have MP10, why does it think I still need it? So many
>> questions....
>>
>> OTOH, after working all day in XP64, using InDesign, Photoshop, Acrobat
>> and Quark, as well as the usual email, FTP and internet stuff, I've gotta
>> say that XP64 is solid. Even old Quark 4, the king of random crashes in
>> Windows, didn't conk out even once. That's something. Even got Nero to
>> install without any problems; and a Xante representative has promised me
>> 64bit printer drivers soon. I barely touched XP Pro all day, except when
>> I needed to use the 16bit KPT installer to add some plugins to PShop, and
>> do a few scans, and my Epson scanner with (presumably) 64 bit drivers
>> will be here in a coupla days.
>>
>> I've also been running DIRMS as my defragger. It runs really fast from
>> the command prompt.

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?

The x64 (64-bit) version of IE is entirely functional. Where there is
reduced functionality is where the plug in writers have not yet produced an
x64 (64-bit) version of THEIR plug in for the x64 IE.
So until THEY do the job and give you x64 components we still have to
support both the 32 and 64 bit IE on the x64 OS (and also call the 32-bit IE
by default for certain actions to stop you getting into problems due to the
as yet not available 64-bit plug in etc).
--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
>
> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> > So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64?

>> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

> the
>> need for both versions.
>> --
>> Wayne Wastier
>> Z-80 - AMD-64
>> HwayneW

NoNoBadDog!

"Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
>
> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Dennis Gordon wrote:
>> > So what's the purpose of having 2 versions of IE in XP64?

>> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

> the
>> need for both versions.
>> --
>> Wayne Wastier
>> Z-80 - AMD-64
>> HwayneW

Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is simply Windows XP Professional
re-compiled to 64 bits.
Cosmetically, it is the same. It was not intended to be different. x64 is
an interim release until Vista is ready.

Bobby

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
>> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
>> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
>> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
>>
>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

>> the
>>> need for both versions.
>>> --
>>> Wayne Wastier
>>> Z-80 - AMD-64
>>> HwayneW
>>>

> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is simply Windows XP Professional
> re-compiled to 64 bits.
> Cosmetically, it is the same. It was not intended to be different. x64
> is an interim release until Vista is ready.
>
> Bobby

I wish it was just a simple recompile. It was a little more difficult then
that.
Also the x64 release of Windows XP Professional is not an interim release
until Windows Vista is ready. It is a fully functional (given the
documented differences) version of Windows XP Professional for the x64
supported processors.

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
>> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
>> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
>> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
>>
>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

>> the
>>> need for both versions.
>>> --
>>> Wayne Wastier
>>> Z-80 - AMD-64
>>> HwayneW
>>>

> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is simply Windows XP Professional
> re-compiled to 64 bits.
> Cosmetically, it is the same. It was not intended to be different. x64
> is an interim release until Vista is ready.
>
> Bobby

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Yeah right, if it were that easy, we would have had x86-x64 edition of XP
Pro since 2001.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Dennis Gordon" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I understand that. What I don't understand is, if 64bit IE looks and acts
>> exactly like its 32 bit counterpart... except it's less functional... why
>> bother with it before it's ready? When I open the 64 bit IE I see IE.
>> There's nothing different. Am I missing some features?
>>
>> "Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> Dennis, the purpose is, many plugins for IE are still 32 bit only. Thus,

>> the
>>> need for both versions.
>>> --
>>> Wayne Wastier
>>> Z-80 - AMD-64
>>> HwayneW
>>>

> Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is simply Windows XP Professional
> re-compiled to 64 bits.
> Cosmetically, it is the same. It was not intended to be different. x64
> is an interim release until Vista is ready.
>
> Bobby

Wayne Wastier

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Yeah right, if it were that easy, we would have had x86-x64 edition
> of XP Pro since 2001.

Well, maybe since 2003, as that is the year AMD came out with their 64 bit
processors. )

--
Wayne Wastier
Z-80 - AMD-64