Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Upgrading from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional

Upgrading from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP Professional

=?Utf-8?B?c2I=?=

Hi,

I am thinking of upgrading my Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP
Professional because I need to install Visual Studio.net, SQL Server 2000 and
running IIS service.

My question is how do i install Windows XP Professional successfully. Do I
need to uninstall Home Edition or just have to run XP installation to
overwrite Home Edition?

Is there any microsoft site that shows step by step installation from Home
Edition to Professional?

Please kindly guide me... and thanks a lot.

Regards,
Sb

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"sb" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> I am thinking of upgrading my Windows XP Home Edition to Windows XP
> Professional because I need to install Visual Studio.net, SQL Server 2000
> and
> running IIS service.
>
> My question is how do i install Windows XP Professional successfully. Do
> need to uninstall Home Edition or just have to run XP installation to
> overwrite Home Edition?
>
> Is there any microsoft site that shows step by step installation from Home
> Edition to Professional?
>
> Please kindly guide me... and thanks a lot.

If you are thinking of upgrading to the x64 (64-bit) version of Windows XP
Professional - then you cannot. There is no upgrade path you have to do a
complete reinstall.

However given the nature of your question I suspect you are not talking
about the 64-bit version in which case you have posted to the wrong
newsgroup.
Please repost to microsoft.public.windowsxp.setup_deployment

--

Regards,

Mike
--