Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32bit, 64bit, and adding a sata

32bit, 64bit, and adding a sata

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvcnBpb24=?=

Is it safe, and is there a way to add a sata drive to an already installed
IDE XP32 system (no sata drivers installed yet), and then install XP64 on the
sata and dual boot? If I add the sata drive now, then boot to install XP64 on
it with sata drivers, will the boot.ini reflect both O/S's, and do it without
problems?

Thanks,
Scorpion

John Barnes

Theoretically, yes. There have been a number of BIOS and driver problems
with SATA drives, especially SATA II, I don't think anyone can guarantee a
without problems resolution.
Be prepared for problems. Personally I would go into the BIOS and set the
SATA drive as your system drive (if an option) before you install x64. It
then will not overwrite your x32 boot files and you can at least switch the
BIOS back if you run into problems, without having to copy over files, etc.

"Scorpion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is it safe, and is there a way to add a sata drive to an already installed
> IDE XP32 system (no sata drivers installed yet), and then install XP64 on
> the
> sata and dual boot? If I add the sata drive now, then boot to install XP64
> on
> it with sata drivers, will the boot.ini reflect both O/S's, and do it
> without
> problems?
>
> Thanks,
> Scorpion

=?Utf-8?B?U2NvcnBpb24=?=

Ok, thanks John. But one more question, assuming I can do that. Where do the
sata drivers get written to? I'm assuming the sata drive, but I don't know. I
would like to be able to access files on the sata drive from the IDE one.

Thnaks,
Scorpion

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Theoretically, yes. There have been a number of BIOS and driver problems
> with SATA drives, especially SATA II, I don't think anyone can guarantee a
> without problems resolution.
> Be prepared for problems. Personally I would go into the BIOS and set the
> SATA drive as your system drive (if an option) before you install x64. It
> then will not overwrite your x32 boot files and you can at least switch the
> BIOS back if you run into problems, without having to copy over files, etc.
>
> "Scorpion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is it safe, and is there a way to add a sata drive to an already installed
> > IDE XP32 system (no sata drivers installed yet), and then install XP64 on
> > the
> > sata and dual boot? If I add the sata drive now, then boot to install XP64
> > on
> > it with sata drivers, will the boot.ini reflect both O/S's, and do it
> > without
> > problems?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Scorpion

Rick

I have an MSI MB and your suggestion doesn't work. You cannot designate
the "boot" drive in the BIOS, you can designate the "boot" drive, or
boot preference sequence.

No matter what you designate as your "boot" drive in the BIOS, the
hardware still starts with the first PATA IDE drive number 80, which
defaults to drive C:. If you have a second PATA IDE drive it will
default to 81. Then, when you install the SATA drive it will default to
82. The boot sequence/preference will have no effect on the assigned
hardware device numbers.

If he wants to dual boot, he will have fewer problems if he leaves the
current C; drive as the default boot drive and allow Win x64 to write
the necessary information to that drive to select which OS he desires to
boot when given the option.

John Barnes wrote:
> Theoretically, yes. There have been a number of BIOS and driver problems
> with SATA drives, especially SATA II, I don't think anyone can guarantee a
> without problems resolution.
> Be prepared for problems. Personally I would go into the BIOS and set the
> SATA drive as your system drive (if an option) before you install x64. It
> then will not overwrite your x32 boot files and you can at least switch the
> BIOS back if you run into problems, without having to copy over files, etc.
>
> "Scorpion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Is it safe, and is there a way to add a sata drive to an already installed
>>IDE XP32 system (no sata drivers installed yet), and then install XP64 on
>>the
>>sata and dual boot? If I add the sata drive now, then boot to install XP64
>>on
>>it with sata drivers, will the boot.ini reflect both O/S's, and do it
>>without
>>problems?
>>
>>Thanks,
>>Scorpion

Rick

Correction on line 2 - the first "boot" should be "system"

Rick wrote:
> I have an MSI MB and your suggestion doesn't work. You cannot designate
> the "system" drive in the BIOS, you can designate the "boot" drive, or
> boot preference sequence.
>
> No matter what you designate as your "boot" drive in the BIOS, the
> hardware still starts with the first PATA IDE drive number 80, which
> defaults to drive C:. If you have a second PATA IDE drive it will
> default to 81. Then, when you install the SATA drive it will default to
> 82. The boot sequence/preference will have no effect on the assigned
> hardware device numbers.
>
> If he wants to dual boot, he will have fewer problems if he leaves the
> current C; drive as the default boot drive and allow Win x64 to write
> the necessary information to that drive to select which OS he desires to
> boot when given the option.
>

> John Barnes wrote:
>
>> Theoretically, yes. There have been a number of BIOS and driver
>> problems with SATA drives, especially SATA II, I don't think anyone
>> can guarantee a without problems resolution.
>> Be prepared for problems. Personally I would go into the BIOS and set
>> the SATA drive as your system drive (if an option) before you install
>> x64. It then will not overwrite your x32 boot files and you can at
>> least switch the BIOS back if you run into problems, without having to
>> copy over files, etc.
>>
>> "Scorpion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>>> Is it safe, and is there a way to add a sata drive to an already
>>> installed
>>> IDE XP32 system (no sata drivers installed yet), and then install
>>> XP64 on the
>>> sata and dual boot? If I add the sata drive now, then boot to install
>>> XP64 on
>>> it with sata drivers, will the boot.ini reflect both O/S's, and do it
>>> without
>>> problems?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Scorpion

John Barnes

You will be using 64-bit drivers and they will be in Windows on the SATA
drive. When windows sees the new drive in x32, it will install the drivers
for you. I don't recall if you have to have online access. You won't have
a problem accessing the files on either drive from the other.

"Scorpion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Ok, thanks John. But one more question, assuming I can do that. Where do
> the
> sata drivers get written to? I'm assuming the sata drive, but I don't
> know. I
> would like to be able to access files on the sata drive from the IDE one.
>
> Thnaks,
> Scorpion
>
> "John Barnes" wrote:
>
>> Theoretically, yes. There have been a number of BIOS and driver problems
>> with SATA drives, especially SATA II, I don't think anyone can guarantee
>> without problems resolution.
>> Be prepared for problems. Personally I would go into the BIOS and set
>> the
>> SATA drive as your system drive (if an option) before you install x64.
>> It
>> then will not overwrite your x32 boot files and you can at least switch
>> the
>> BIOS back if you run into problems, without having to copy over files,
>> etc.
>>
>> "Scorpion" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Is it safe, and is there a way to add a sata drive to an already
>> > installed
>> > IDE XP32 system (no sata drivers installed yet), and then install XP64
>> > on
>> > the
>> > sata and dual boot? If I add the sata drive now, then boot to install
>> > XP64
>> > on
>> > it with sata drivers, will the boot.ini reflect both O/S's, and do it
>> > without
>> > problems?
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > Scorpion

=?Utf-8?B?cHJpc2F6?=

What I would do is pull the XP32 drive, do a clean install of XP64 with the
SATA. Modify the Boot.ini on the XP64 drive, re connect the XP32 and add the
XP32 Boot Drive to the Boot.ini. I have my setup that way. When you boot XP32
it does it's thing on it's drive. Same for XP64. I am running dual boot that
way with XP32 on C: and XP64 on I:. Both drives are WD SATA 150 at 10k RPM.
My 3ware SATA raid 5 runs great on both boots. Which has another 5 drives. I
see all drive with any boot.

I would not try dual boot on the same drive, even with different primary
partitions.