Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > various x64 problems after fresh install

various x64 problems after fresh install

jdk

im getting all sorts of blue screens etc and have read on the SHuttle
website tht updating bios may help, so i downloaded winflash as
instructed and it wont run coz it says my bios is not award.

--
jdk
jdk's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1439

Mirko

which "Shuttle" product do you have?

I believe there is also a "winflash" utility for AMI BIOS.
In case you do have an Award BIOS but winflash doesn't work right in x64,
the you could try the DOS flash utility from a DOS boot disk.

"jdk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
:(E-Mail Removed)...

> im getting all sorts of blue screens etc and have read on the SHuttle
> website tht updating bios may help, so i downloaded winflash as
> instructed and it wont run coz it says my bios is not award.
>

> --
> jdk
> jdk's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1439
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896

jdk

i have the ST20G5 XPC model. Im shocked as to the lack of support there
is for 64-bit systems still. Im not sure how to update the bios from a
disk. Am i right in thinking the XPC tools does not work in x64 xp
either?

thanks for the reply

--
jdk
jdk's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1439
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896

Wayne Wastier

"jdk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)
> i have the ST20G5 XPC model. Im shocked as to the lack of support
> there is for 64-bit systems still. Im not sure how to update the bios
> from a disk. Am i right in thinking the XPC tools does not work in
> x64 xp either?
>
> thanks for the reply

First download the correct files and extract to a directory if need be.
(usually bios file downloads are zipped)

Now, double click on My Computer and right click on your floppy drive icon,
and select Format. Now you will see a window popup. Tick Create an MS-DOS
startup disk, and then left click on Start.

Now copy the two files, the exe file for flashing the BIOS, and the new bios
file. Reboot to the floppy. Run the flash program like this, type
"flash.exe newbios.bin" without the quotes, and using the actual names of
the flash program and new bios file. Don't interrupt this or shut down
until you get confirmation that the bios has been successfully updated.

Having said this, it seems as if you are very new to this procedure, so I
would recommend seeking a professional to do this for you.

Take care,

--

-------------------------------------
Wayne Wastier

jdk

ok thanks for that,

i have flashed a bios before, was just not sure on the Shuttle as the
bios download is a .bin file. It seems so wierd that they have a
download for winflash on their support site, but it wont actually run.

http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...sp?Item=ST20G5

thats the bios i need, but its a .bin file.

--
jdk
jdk's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1439
View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896

John Barnes

It should be a .bin file. Are you sure you have flashed a bios
before???????????

"jdk" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> ok thanks for that,
>
> i have flashed a bios before, was just not sure on the Shuttle as the
> bios download is a .bin file. It seems so wierd that they have a
> download for winflash on their support site, but it wont actually run.
>
> http://global.shuttle.com/Download/D...sp?Item=ST20G5
>
> thats the bios i need, but its a .bin file.
>

> --
> jdk
> jdk's Profile: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/member.php?u=1439
> View this thread: http://www.64bit-world.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9896

Mirko

If you go to Shuttle's ftp server directly, then you will also find a *.zip
file which includes BIOS *.bin file AND the DOS flash utility that you can
run after booting from a DOS boot disk.
ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/st20g5/

"jdk" <(E-Mail Removed)>
:(E-Mail Removed)...