Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > HP Scanjet 3400 - any X64 drivers

HP Scanjet 3400 - any X64 drivers

Mark Gillespie

My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
to have to dual boot back to old windows.

Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

Mike Brannigan [MSFT]

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
> to have to dual boot back to old windows.
>
> Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

If HP have not supplied one then no.
You can try and use another Window x64 driver for a similar device (maybe an
older model or some other driver for a similar driver that is shipped or
available for x64 Windows.).

--

Regards,

Mike
--
Mike Brannigan [Microsoft]

rights

newsgroups

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
> to have to dual boot back to old windows.
>
> Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

Mark Gillespie

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:52:26 +0100, Mike Brannigan [MSFT]
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>> My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
>> to have to dual boot back to old windows.
>>
>> Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

> If HP have not supplied one then no.
> You can try and use another Window x64 driver for a similar device
> (maybe an
> older model or some other driver for a similar driver that is shipped or
> available for x64 Windows.).

Hmm, HP, as far as I can see, havn't released any Scanjet drivers...
Wondered if anyone has used VMWares USB support within the virtual machine
on a scanner, to get occasional USB scanner support, without the need to
reboot/dual boot.

Shame VirtualPC is far behind.. Any news on a new VirtualPC? Froma trial
a while ago, I preffered VirtualPC over VMWare, but VMWare seemed the more
advanced of the 2.

Dominic Payer

Using VMWare's USB support works well and avoids the need to reboot.
There is a caution that some USB devices don't work, but this does not seem
to apply to scanners and printers.

There is a 30 day trial version of VMWare so you can test it before buying.

There is no news yet on when, if ever, VirtualPC will be updated to work
with x64.

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 01:52:26 +0100, Mike Brannigan [MSFT]
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> "Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> My last bit of hardware, I only use it occasionaly, but it would be nice
>>> to have to dual boot back to old windows.
>>>
>>> Is there a driver, or way of hacking some other driver on?>

>> If HP have not supplied one then no.
>> You can try and use another Window x64 driver for a similar device
>> (maybe an
>> older model or some other driver for a similar driver that is shipped or
>> available for x64 Windows.).
>>

> Hmm, HP, as far as I can see, havn't released any Scanjet drivers...
> Wondered if anyone has used VMWares USB support within the virtual machine
> on a scanner, to get occasional USB scanner support, without the need to
> reboot/dual boot.
>
> Shame VirtualPC is far behind.. Any news on a new VirtualPC? Froma trial
> a while ago, I preffered VirtualPC over VMWare, but VMWare seemed the more
> advanced of the 2.

Mark Gillespie

On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:07:01 +0100, Dominic Payer
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> There is no news yet on when, if ever, VirtualPC will be updated to work
> with x64.

Ever wondered (like me) wether Microsoft bought in the right product?
VMWare seems to be much more advanced, and was obviously much easier to
port to 64bit, and is more cross-platform.

Perhaps Connectix were cheaper than VMware, either way the gap between the
2 products is widening very quickly..

Dominic Payer

Microsoft bought Connectix for Virtual Server, not VirtualPC. VMWare may not
have been willing to sell to anyone.

The programming team is working on the next, paid upgrade, version of
Virtual Server. When that's done I expect they'll bring VirtualPC up to
date. Given the features VPC needs to catch up with VMWare I think the
update will be a paid for version.

It's the same reason that x64 drivers aren't universally available - the
resources that could do the job are limited and the commercial decision is
where to use the resources to best advantage.

"Mark Gillespie" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsp.sybwmfjtj2q9yy@xpdesktop64...
> On Sat, 08 Oct 2005 13:07:01 +0100, Dominic Payer
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

>> There is no news yet on when, if ever, VirtualPC will be updated to work
>> with x64.
>>

> Ever wondered (like me) wether Microsoft bought in the right product?
> VMWare seems to be much more advanced, and was obviously much easier to
> port to 64bit, and is more cross-platform.
>
> Perhaps Connectix were cheaper than VMware, either way the gap between the
> 2 products is widening very quickly..

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Remember there is Virtual Server 2005 R2 BETA which is compatible:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserv...n/sp1beta.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com