Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual-Boot and running Applications on both OSes

Dual-Boot and running Applications on both OSes

=?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit first
on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and D
drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files, documents,
spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding this
setup.

1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will this
cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?

2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
partition? Should this be done?

3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS as I
play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
the process.

4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while I
am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for viruses,
will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit partition.

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Answers inline:
"smlamarre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit
>first
> on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and
> drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
> second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files,
> documents,
> spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding
> this
> setup.
>
> 1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will
> this
> cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
> OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?

Yes, once they are both NTFS Partitions, they will see each other.

> 2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
> partition? Should this be done?

No, well not that I know of, but you could limit access to drive using the
disk qouta options of the drive properties.

> 3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
> files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
> corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS
> as I
> play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
> the process.

Well, thats how a lot of persons have been doing it. You can have say,
Microsoft Office installed on one partition and launch either Word or Excel
from either OS by access the installation folder from Microsoft Office. I
still think you will have to re-run setup though just to repair any files
that might need to be registered with the system. So, if you installed
Office from XP x86 onto the application partition, you would have to run the
setup again in XP x64 but just install it to same Office folder on the
application partition.

> 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
> bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while
> am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
> viruses,
> will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
> possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit
> partition.

You should have an option in your AntiVirus program to exclude certain
partitions.

HTHs

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

John Barnes

1. Yes. Both systems you list will see any type of file system. Copying
works fine.
2. You can 'hide' the other OS by using Disk Management and removing the
drive letter. Then you won't be able to do 1. You can always restore it if
you want to. There is no reason I can think of to do this.
3. If you are going to share the files across system, Andre is correct,
many do that. Others have totally duplicate systems and have independent
files for each. There is no corruption.
4. You should have no problems here, except as noted elsewhere, there will
sometimes be accurate or bogus viruses reported by one program about the
other drive. You can do what Andre suggested and have each only scan their
own systems and the common drive if you wish.

"smlamarre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit
>first
> on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and
> drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
> second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files,
> documents,
> spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding
> this
> setup.
>
> 1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will
> this
> cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
> OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?
>
> 2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
> partition? Should this be done?
>
> 3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
> files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
> corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS
> as I
> play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
> the process.
>
> 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
> bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while
> am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
> viruses,
> will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
> possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit
> partition.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Steve

=?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

Thanks Andre. I appreciate the feed back.

In regards to installing applications, I was planning on installing (for
example Office) it both on the 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. My concern was if I
open an excel spreadsheet and make changes and save it while using the 64 bit
OS then later do the same on the 32 bit OS, will that cause any corruption to
the file as I switch back and forth from the two different platforms?

smlamarre

"Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" wrote:

> Answers inline:
> "smlamarre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit
> >first
> > on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and
> > drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
> > second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files,
> > documents,
> > spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding
> > this
> > setup.
> >
> > 1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will
> > this
> > cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
> > OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?

> Yes, once they are both NTFS Partitions, they will see each other.
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
> > partition? Should this be done?

> No, well not that I know of, but you could limit access to drive using the
> disk qouta options of the drive properties.
> >
> > 3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
> > files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
> > corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS
> > as I
> > play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
> > the process.

> Well, thats how a lot of persons have been doing it. You can have say,
> Microsoft Office installed on one partition and launch either Word or Excel
> from either OS by access the installation folder from Microsoft Office. I
> still think you will have to re-run setup though just to repair any files
> that might need to be registered with the system. So, if you installed
> Office from XP x86 onto the application partition, you would have to run the
> setup again in XP x64 but just install it to same Office folder on the
> application partition.
> >
> > 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
> > bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while
> > am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
> > viruses,
> > will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
> > possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit
> > partition.

> You should have an option in your AntiVirus program to exclude certain
> partitions.
>
> HTHs
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Steve

> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

John Barnes

No problem. Many here do this every day and nobody has reported corruption.

> [...]

>> Office from XP x86 onto the application partition, you would have to run
>> the
>> setup again in XP x64 but just install it to same Office folder on the
>> application partition.
>> >
>> > 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP
>> > 32
>> > bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems
>> > while
>> > am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
>> > viruses,
>> > will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter
>> > (if
>> > possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit
>> > partition.

>> You should have an option in your AntiVirus program to exclude certain

Niels Berglund

Hello smlamarre,

> In regards to installing applications, I was planning on installing
> (for example Office) it both on the 32 bit OS and 64 bit OS. My
> concern was if I open an excel spreadsheet and make changes and save
> it while using the 64 bit OS then later do the same on the 32 bit OS,
> will that cause any corruption to the file as I switch back and forth
> from the two different platforms?

No it won't. It's just like you'd open the document from another PC on the
network.

Niel

=?Utf-8?B?c21sYW1hcnJl?=

Thanks everyone. Again I appreciate the feedback so now it is time to play
and enjoy. I have been running Windows XP 64 on a separate hard drive and
disconnecting my Windows XP 32 Pro as a precaution. I am must say, I am very
impressed with Windows XP 64 so far. It seems to run fasterand load programs
faster. I would switch completely to Windows XP 64 but I still need to print
and from what I read on the forum, vendors are taking their sweet time to
produce drivers for them. I can wait though.

Thanks Again.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> 1. Yes. Both systems you list will see any type of file system. Copying
> works fine.
> 2. You can 'hide' the other OS by using Disk Management and removing the
> drive letter. Then you won't be able to do 1. You can always restore it if
> you want to. There is no reason I can think of to do this.
> 3. If you are going to share the files across system, Andre is correct,
> many do that. Others have totally duplicate systems and have independent
> files for each. There is no corruption.
> 4. You should have no problems here, except as noted elsewhere, there will
> sometimes be accurate or bogus viruses reported by one program about the
> other drive. You can do what Andre suggested and have each only scan their
> own systems and the common drive if you wish.
>

> "smlamarre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I would like to dual boot my machine with installing Windows XP 32 bit
> >first
> > on C drive and then installing Windows XP 64 bit on the D drive. The C and
> > drive will be two partitions on the same hard drive. I will then have a
> > second hard drive that I would like to use for storage of files,
> > documents,
> > spreadsheets, music, pics and etc. Now I have a few questions regarding
> > this
> > setup.
> >
> > 1. Will each OS see the other OSes partition? My thinking is yes. Will
> > this
> > cause a problem if I were to copy files from one OS partition to the other
> > OSes partition? Will their be any file corruption?
> >
> > 2. Is there a way to hide the other OSes partition from the active
> > partition? Should this be done?
> >
> > 3. If I install the same applications on both OSes, will I be able to open
> > files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
> > corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either OS
> > as I
> > play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files in
> > the process.
> >
> > 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP 32
> > bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems while
> > am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
> > viruses,
> > will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter (if
> > possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit
> > partition.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Steve

John Barnes

If your printer is the only problem, what is the printer, do you need great
print for photos, or very good print for documents? Anyway, printers are
pretty inexpensive to avoid the hassle for that alone unless that is your
business.

> [...]
>> > files they use without any problems or concerns without conflict or
>> > corruption? I would like to be able to access my programs from either
>> > OS
>> > as I
>> > play with Windows XP 64 bit but do not want to risk corrupting my files
>> > in
>> > the process.
>> >
>> > 4. If I am running an antivirus/antispyware software on the Windows XP
>> > 32
>> > bit OS that does not support the 64 bit OS, will that cause problems
>> > while
>> > am in the 32 bit OS. For example, if the antivirus program scans for
>> > viruses,
>> > will it wreak havoc on the 64 bit partition? Will it just be a matter
>> > (if
>> > possible) of not allowing the antivirus software to scan the 64 bit

wes40oz

just be warned,

I have a duel boot system similar to this set up, but I'm not sharing apps.
But the point of this post comes from my past posts.
when I installed x64 edition, it booted fine
then I installed x32 edition and I would get the ntoskrnl.exe error (the
win32 edition over wrote NTLDR and NTdetect.com on the x64 drive)
I recopied these files many times.
got it fixed, made both files (32 bit and 64 bit versions )READ ONLY and
have not had a problem, also keep a copy of hal.dll from the x64 system32
directory backed up, I have my backed up on my root on both OS's drives in a
back up folder with the OS version listed on it to avoid mistakes (I have
NTLDR, NTdetect, hall.dll and boot.ini sorted in there) so I can copy it
back over when needed from the other OS

as of now everything is working right.
they only problem not related to the OS's is bootng (great boot loader!!)
keeps going to the boot menu's on the 6x edition, but that just needs
tweaking and some clean up in the boot.ini file

wes
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> If your printer is the only problem, what is the printer, do you need
> great print for photos, or very good print for documents? Anyway,
> printers are pretty inexpensive to avoid the hassle for that alone unless
> that is your business.
>

> "smlamarre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Thanks everyone. Again I appreciate the feedback so now it is time to
>> play
>> and enjoy. I have been running Windows XP 64 on a separate hard drive and
>> disconnecting my Windows XP 32 Pro as a precaution. I am must say, I am
>> very
>> impressed with Windows XP 64 so far. It seems to run fasterand load
>> programs
>> faster. I would switch completely to Windows XP 64 but I still need to
>> print
>> and from what I read on the forum, vendors are taking their sweet time to
>> produce drivers for them. I can wait though.
>>
>> Thanks Again.
>>
>> "John Barnes" wrote:
>>
>>> 1. Yes. Both systems you list will see any type of file system.
>>> Copying
>>> works fine.
>>> 2. You can 'hide' the other OS by using Disk Management and removing
>>> the
>>> drive letter. Then you won't be able to do 1. You can always restore
>>> it if
>>> you want to. There is no reason I can think of to do this.
>>> 3. If you are going to share the files across system, Andre is correct,
>>> many do that. Others have totally duplicate systems and have
>>> independent
>>> files for each. There is no corruption.
>>> 4. You should have no problems here, except as noted elsewhere, there
>>> will
>>> sometimes be accurate or bogus viruses reported by one program about the
>>> other drive. You can do what Andre suggested and have each only scan
>>> their
>>> own systems and the common drive if you wish.
>>>

>>> "smlamarre" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

A couple of points. You only need the ntldr and ntdetect.com from the x64
version as they will boot both systems. The boot.ini that you see at boot
up is the one on the system drive. That is the active partition of the
first drive in your boot priority in the BIOS. You can see that in Disk
Management. You can tweak it in System Properties most easily.

news:(E-Mail Removed)...