Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > x64 Hangs on "Setup is checking hardware configuration"

x64 Hangs on "Setup is checking hardware configuration"

Paul Serkosky

Greetings,
I downloaded the 120 trial to run on my machine and burned it to cd, tried
to install and it stops at "Setup is checking hardware configuration".

Msinfo tells me I have:
System Model Dell Precision WorkStation 670, System Type X86-based PC
4 x Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem (For faxing), SoundMAX Integrated Digital
Audio
HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B, PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631

I had the choice of OEM install when ordered but I didn't have time to find
drivers and not have the computer working 100%, so I went with x32 Xp .
Anyway, I did contact Dell and they seem to believe the system is in order
and should be able to install x64. Any ideas how I can get this to install?
I can explore the cd but maybe the download is corrupt? Just flashed the
bios to current version today. Any takers?

Thanks,
Paul S

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Wouldn't Dell send you a system with OEM x64 with fully working devices and
system components? Or are you referring to devices that you already owned
that you were not sure were compatible with x64?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uETp%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Greetings,
> I downloaded the 120 trial to run on my machine and burned it to cd, tried
> to install and it stops at "Setup is checking hardware configuration".
>
> Msinfo tells me I have:
> System Model Dell Precision WorkStation 670, System Type X86-based PC
> 4 x Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
> NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
> Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem (For faxing), SoundMAX Integrated
> Digital Audio
> HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B, PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631
>
> I had the choice of OEM install when ordered but I didn't have time to
> find drivers and not have the computer working 100%, so I went with x32 Xp
> . Anyway, I did contact Dell and they seem to believe the system is in
> order and should be able to install x64. Any ideas how I can get this to
> install? I can explore the cd but maybe the download is corrupt? Just
> flashed the bios to current version today. Any takers?
>
> Thanks,
> Paul S

Paul Serkosky

This machine was a replacement for an older machine, and I had only a
weekend of downtime available to switch machines and be fully running for
Monday morning. I did have the option for Dell to have OEM x64 installed,
but I couldn't find drivers for some hardware I already had. All of those
components are external, and I didn't add anything to the machine itself. I
will try detaching things and installing again today.

Do you have any thoughts on my problem?

Paul S

news:%23Fn%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Wouldn't Dell send you a system with OEM x64 with fully working devices
> and system components? Or are you referring to devices that you already
> owned that you were not sure were compatible with x64?
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:uETp%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Greetings,
>> I downloaded the 120 trial to run on my machine and burned it to cd,
>> tried to install and it stops at "Setup is checking hardware
>> configuration".
>>
>> Msinfo tells me I have:
>> System Model Dell Precision WorkStation 670, System Type X86-based PC
>> 4 x Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
>> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
>> NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
>> Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem (For faxing), SoundMAX Integrated
>> Digital Audio
>> HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B, PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631
>>
>> I had the choice of OEM install when ordered but I didn't have time to
>> find drivers and not have the computer working 100%, so I went with x32
>> Xp . Anyway, I did contact Dell and they seem to believe the system is in
>> order and should be able to install x64. Any ideas how I can get this to
>> install? I can explore the cd but maybe the download is corrupt? Just
>> flashed the bios to current version today. Any takers?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Paul S

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Are any of those external devices such as scanners, printer or external USB
disk drives attached to system during that portion of setup? If so, remove
them rerun setup again. Its possible that x64 is trying to detect these
devices which is why you are stuck at that part setup for so long.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> This machine was a replacement for an older machine, and I had only a
> weekend of downtime available to switch machines and be fully running for
> Monday morning. I did have the option for Dell to have OEM x64 installed,
> but I couldn't find drivers for some hardware I already had. All of those
> components are external, and I didn't add anything to the machine itself.
> I will try detaching things and installing again today.
>
> Do you have any thoughts on my problem?
>
> Paul S

> news:%23Fn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Wouldn't Dell send you a system with OEM x64 with fully working devices
>> and system components? Or are you referring to devices that you already
>> owned that you were not sure were compatible with x64?
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:uETp%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Greetings,
>>> I downloaded the 120 trial to run on my machine and burned it to cd,
>>> tried to install and it stops at "Setup is checking hardware
>>> configuration".
>>>
>>> Msinfo tells me I have:
>>> System Model Dell Precision WorkStation 670, System Type X86-based PC
>>> 4 x Processor x86 Family 15 Model 4 Stepping 3 GenuineIntel ~3192 Mhz
>>> Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
>>> NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
>>> Conexant D850 56K V.9x DFVc Modem (For faxing), SoundMAX Integrated
>>> Digital Audio
>>> HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8163B, PHILIPS DVD+-RW DVD8631
>>>
>>> I had the choice of OEM install when ordered but I didn't have time to
>>> find drivers and not have the computer working 100%, so I went with x32
>>> Xp . Anyway, I did contact Dell and they seem to believe the system is
>>> in order and should be able to install x64. Any ideas how I can get
>>> this to install? I can explore the cd but maybe the download is corrupt?
>>> Just flashed the bios to current version today. Any takers?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Paul S

Paul Serkosky

Andre,
Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB drives! I
will give that a try later.
Thanks!

Paul S

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Are any of those external devices such as scanners, printer or external
> USB disk drives attached to system during that portion of setup? If so,
> remove them rerun setup again. Its possible that x64 is trying to detect
> these devices which is why you are stuck at that part setup for so long.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> This machine was a replacement for an older machine, and I had only a
>> weekend of downtime available to switch machines and be fully running for
>> Monday morning. I did have the option for Dell to have OEM x64
>> installed, but I couldn't find drivers for some hardware I already had.
>> All of those components are external, and I didn't add anything to the
>> machine itself. I will try detaching things and installing again today.
>>
>> Do you have any thoughts on my problem?
>>
>> Paul S

>> news:%23Fn%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Wouldn't Dell send you a system with OEM x64 with fully working devices
>>> and system components? Or are you referring to devices that you already
>>> owned that you were not sure were compatible with x64?
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:uETp%(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

I also had all of the above and a USB modem, 2 USB UPS units, and 2 home
control USB controllers and I had no hang-up in this step. Some here have
reported that it can take hours in this step, just to be patient, so if
Andre's suggestion doesn't work, just try letting it run overnight and see
if it works.

"Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Andre,
> Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB drives! I
> will give that a try later.
> Thanks!
>
> Paul S

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Are any of those external devices such as scanners, printer or external
>> USB disk drives attached to system during that portion of setup? If so,
>> remove them rerun setup again. Its possible that x64 is trying to detect
>> these devices which is why you are stuck at that part setup for so long.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> This machine was a replacement for an older machine, and I had only a
>>> weekend of downtime available to switch machines and be fully running
>>> for Monday morning. I did have the option for Dell to have OEM x64
>>> installed, but I couldn't find drivers for some hardware I already had.
>>> All of those components are external, and I didn't add anything to the
>>> machine itself. I will try detaching things and installing again today.
>>>
>>> Do you have any thoughts on my problem?
>>>
>>> Paul S
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%23Fn%(E-Mail Removed)...

Paul Serkosky

John,
Interesting, I know I let run for about 30 minutes, but having loaded OS's
from Dos to present it just seemed to take too long. I will unplug
everything and let it run overnight before I leave work today. Are there
any user selection prompts that will time out if they are not selected? I
don't want it to self install over XP x32!

Thanks,
Paul S

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>I also had all of the above and a USB modem, 2 USB UPS units, and 2 home
>control USB controllers and I had no hang-up in this step. Some here have
>reported that it can take hours in this step, just to be patient, so if
>Andre's suggestion doesn't work, just try letting it run overnight and see
>if it works.
>

> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Andre,
>> Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB drives! I
>> will give that a try later.
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Paul S

>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Are any of those external devices such as scanners, printer or external
>>> USB disk drives attached to system during that portion of setup? If so,
>>> remove them rerun setup again. Its possible that x64 is trying to detect
>>> these devices which is why you are stuck at that part setup for so long.
>>> --
>>> Andre
>>>
>>> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

John Barnes

I was only relaying what two others have said before, and I remember 1
specifically said hours. As to user prompts, I do remember that you do have
the time confirmation and it seems one other that happen at the same time.
I don't remember when they happen and don't know what they may have for a
timeout.
I also don't know what you mean by self install over x32. If you are
talking about the hang-up happening in the GUI section, you have already
selected where to install it in the TEXT phase and there should be no chance
of a problem with x32.
Maybe someone with more recent install experience could help with this.
I had no problems with my install and it only took about 15 minutes in that
portion of the setup, even with the 4 drives, 3 cd drives and 10 USB
attachments

"Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZ9u%(E-Mail Removed)...
> John,
> Interesting, I know I let run for about 30 minutes, but having loaded OS's
> from Dos to present it just seemed to take too long. I will unplug
> everything and let it run overnight before I leave work today. Are there
> any user selection prompts that will time out if they are not selected? I
> don't want it to self install over XP x32!
>
> Thanks,
> Paul S

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I also had all of the above and a USB modem, 2 USB UPS units, and 2 home
>>control USB controllers and I had no hang-up in this step. Some here have
>>reported that it can take hours in this step, just to be patient, so if
>>Andre's suggestion doesn't work, just try letting it run overnight and see
>>if it works.
>>

>> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Andre,
>>> Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB drives! I
>>> will give that a try later.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Paul S
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

It installs just like Windows XP x86 so there will be user selection prompts
such as specifying partitions, date and time settings. You might want to try
an unattended setup in this case if you plan on not being present during the
installation.
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...cb62e50c9.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:uZ9u%(E-Mail Removed)...
> John,
> Interesting, I know I let run for about 30 minutes, but having loaded OS's
> from Dos to present it just seemed to take too long. I will unplug
> everything and let it run overnight before I leave work today. Are there
> any user selection prompts that will time out if they are not selected? I
> don't want it to self install over XP x32!
>
> Thanks,
> Paul S

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I also had all of the above and a USB modem, 2 USB UPS units, and 2 home
>>control USB controllers and I had no hang-up in this step. Some here have
>>reported that it can take hours in this step, just to be patient, so if
>>Andre's suggestion doesn't work, just try letting it run overnight and see
>>if it works.
>>

>> "Paul Serkosky" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> Andre,
>>> Yes to all of the above - scanners, printers and external USB drives! I
>>> will give that a try later.
>>> Thanks!
>>>
>>> Paul S
>>>

>>> "Andre Da Costa [Extended64]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

Paul Serkosky

John,
I am going for a dual boot and I didn't want it install over the existing
version.
I never get to select anything when I run this setup. I turn the computer
on, press any key to boot from the cd, the screen goes black, "Setup is
checking hardware configuration" is displayed at the top of the black screen
and that's it! No drives spinning, no lights flashing, nothing.
Paul S

news:(E-Mail Removed)...