Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Install/Boot with SATA drives

Install/Boot with SATA drives

=?Utf-8?B?VG9tbXkgIlRvbWF0byIgRG95bGU=?=

Hi All,

First time posting on this group...just acquired an HP Pavilion a1132n
desktop with an Athlon 64 3500 CPU, Motherboard=MSI MS-7093,Albacore-GL6E,
with a Maxtor 6L200MO SATA hard disk.

Installed WinXP Pro64 A-OKay onto an NTFS partition (not C, but after
completing the install process, it stalls/hangs right after the pretty
WinXP64 boot-up screen...goes to a blank screen...the hard disk LED blinks
for a few seconds, then nothing. Have to do a power off/on to get the box
out of that state.

FYI...the box will boot up into safe mode.

Any suggestions as to possible causes/solutions to this ?

Thanks in advance,
Dennis

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

You need to get the latest F6 Drivers for your hard disk from either your
OEM (HP) or http://www.PlanetAMD64.com

Here is some additional info on loading the drivers written by Charlie
Russel:
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../11/52162.aspx
http://msmvps.com/xperts64/archive/2.../25/59560.aspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Tommy "Tomato" Doyle" <Tommy "Tomato" http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed)>
> Hi All,
>
> First time posting on this group...just acquired an HP Pavilion a1132n
> desktop with an Athlon 64 3500 CPU, Motherboard=MSI MS-7093,Albacore-GL6E,
> with a Maxtor 6L200MO SATA hard disk.
>
> Installed WinXP Pro64 A-OKay onto an NTFS partition (not C, but after
> completing the install process, it stalls/hangs right after the pretty
> WinXP64 boot-up screen...goes to a blank screen...the hard disk LED blinks
> for a few seconds, then nothing. Have to do a power off/on to get the box
> out of that state.
>
> FYI...the box will boot up into safe mode.
>
> Any suggestions as to possible causes/solutions to this ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dennis

John Barnes

Have you tried 'enable VGA Mode' to see if maybe there are video problems
other than driver problems. Maybe you have to change some settings.
If that doesn't work there is an option which will show any stop codes on a
one time basis, maybe you could try that and see if there is a driver stop
problem.
Also you could try to install the video drivers for x64 if you have them.

"Tommy "Tomato" Doyle" <Tommy "Tomato" (E-Mail Removed)>
> Hi All,
>
> First time posting on this group...just acquired an HP Pavilion a1132n
> desktop with an Athlon 64 3500 CPU, Motherboard=MSI MS-7093,Albacore-GL6E,
> with a Maxtor 6L200MO SATA hard disk.
>
> Installed WinXP Pro64 A-OKay onto an NTFS partition (not C, but after
> completing the install process, it stalls/hangs right after the pretty
> WinXP64 boot-up screen...goes to a blank screen...the hard disk LED blinks
> for a few seconds, then nothing. Have to do a power off/on to get the box
> out of that state.
>
> FYI...the box will boot up into safe mode.
>
> Any suggestions as to possible causes/solutions to this ?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Dennis

=?Utf-8?B?U0FUQSBkcml2ZSBpbnN0YWxsIGlzc3Vl?=

Maybe I am crazy but it sounds to me like you may have the settings on the
hard drive set incorrectly. Some sata drives give you the ability to chose
master or slave settings, if you have one of these drives you must have the
drive in question set to slave or you will have the exact problem you
describe. Hope this helps. Good luck.

"John Barnes" wrote:

> Have you tried 'enable VGA Mode' to see if maybe there are video problems
> other than driver problems. Maybe you have to change some settings.
> If that doesn't work there is an option which will show any stop codes on a
> one time basis, maybe you could try that and see if there is a driver stop
> problem.
> Also you could try to install the video drivers for x64 if you have them.
>
> "Tommy "Tomato" Doyle" <Tommy "Tomato" (E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Hi All,
> >
> > First time posting on this group...just acquired an HP Pavilion a1132n
> > desktop with an Athlon 64 3500 CPU, Motherboard=MSI MS-7093,Albacore-GL6E,
> > with a Maxtor 6L200MO SATA hard disk.
> >
> > Installed WinXP Pro64 A-OKay onto an NTFS partition (not C, but after
> > completing the install process, it stalls/hangs right after the pretty
> > WinXP64 boot-up screen...goes to a blank screen...the hard disk LED blinks
> > for a few seconds, then nothing. Have to do a power off/on to get the box
> > out of that state.
> >
> > FYI...the box will boot up into safe mode.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to possible causes/solutions to this ?
> >
> > Thanks in advance,
> > Dennis

Rick

What brand and model SATA have you seen with 'master' and 'slave'
settings? I have never ran across one with the selection capability.

SATA drive install issue wrote:
> Maybe I am crazy but it sounds to me like you may have the settings on the
> hard drive set incorrectly. Some sata drives give you the ability to chose
> master or slave settings, if you have one of these drives you must have the
> drive in question set to slave or you will have the exact problem you
> describe. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Rick

The following was extracted from the SATA comparisons and specifications
that can be found at:

http://www.sata-io.org/satatechnology.asp

THERE IS NO MASTER & SLAVE DESIGNATION WITH SATA!

READ THE LAST SENTENCE BELOW!

Serial ATA – Beyond Better Signaling Characteristics…

Connection Methodology

Ultra ATA – Master/Slave Shared Bus
Ultra ATA technology supports up to 2 drives per channel via a shared
bus. Though the two attached devices are referred to as “master” and
“slave”, there is no difference in operation between or priority given
to the connected devices. The host bus adapter is the true bus master
and uses the master/slave status of the drives to route requests to the
correct device and to determine the boot device. Though Ultra ATA
supports a command queuing algorithm, it is rarely incorporated into
devices, and thus the data bus is locked if a command to either drive is
outstanding. Because of this, the bus bandwidth is shared between the
master and slave devices when both are actively interacting with the host.

Serial ATA – Point to Point Connections for Dedicated Bandwidth
Serial ATA uses a point-to-point connection topology, meaning that each
source is connected to one destination. Each channel has the capability
to work independently so that there is no contention between drives and
thus no sharing of interface bandwidth. This connection strategy also
negates the need for master/slave jumper settings on devices.

Note: This connection strategy also negates the need for master/slave
jumper settings on devices.