Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > System Backup & Restore

System Backup & Restore

=?Utf-8?B?dG1ycHJvX2NvbQ==?=

I need to create a backup of my OS & sytem Apps/configurations in Windows x64.

I thought I had followed the procedures correctly, but when I had a system
failure and attempted to restore my backup file, it failed. I was forced to
reinstall Windows & all of my apps and configurations.

Could someone who uses the Windows backup utility please provide detailed,
step by step instructions on how to successfully use this utility.

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Windows Backup made easy by Ed Bott:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u..._03july14.mspx
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"tmrpro_com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I need to create a backup of my OS & sytem Apps/configurations in Windows
>x64.
>
> I thought I had followed the procedures correctly, but when I had a system
> failure and attempted to restore my backup file, it failed. I was forced
> reinstall Windows & all of my apps and configurations.
>
> Could someone who uses the Windows backup utility please provide detailed,
> step by step instructions on how to successfully use this utility.

=?Utf-8?B?dG1ycHJvX2NvbQ==?=

Thanks Andrew .... Although this link is pretty good for simple backup
solutions ... It's from 2002 and offers alternatives that do not run under
x64 and unfortunately does not resolve the problem that I having, nor answers
the question of system backup and restore.

If I need to restore my 64 bit OS, configurations & Applications drive on
system that has two active physical SCSI drives (1 w/32 bit XP & the other
w/64 bit XP), what would be the correct routines to follow for this type of
backup?

Would it include the use of ASR?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you needed help with using the built in Backup tool
in Windows XP x64.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"tmrpro_com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks Andrew .... Although this link is pretty good for simple backup
> solutions ... It's from 2002 and offers alternatives that do not run under
> x64 and unfortunately does not resolve the problem that I having, nor
> answers
> the question of system backup and restore.
>
> If I need to restore my 64 bit OS, configurations & Applications drive on
> system that has two active physical SCSI drives (1 w/32 bit XP & the other
> w/64 bit XP), what would be the correct routines to follow for this type
> of
> backup?
>
> Would it include the use of ASR?

=?Utf-8?B?dG1ycHJvX2NvbQ==?=

<i>"Oh, I'm sorry, I thought you needed help with using the built in Backup
tool
in Windows XP x64."</i>

I do need help with the Backup tool in Windows XP x64, but the article that
you provided does not address my specific needs...

I have a feeling that I'm going to need an advanced support request...

cristalink

So you have two HDDs, one for 32bit and another for 64bit. The below applies
to Microsoft Backup (NTBackup).

If you boot from the same drive all the time (say, you always have C:\Win64
and D:\Win32, and only C: contains ntldr, boot.ini etc), then it would be
enough to select "Save All Info On This Computer", preferably from 64bit.
When you perform an ASR restore (again, with 64bit), then both of your
systems will be correctly restored.

It becomes more complicated if you boot from different drives - ie each
drive has its own boot sector, ntldr, boot.ini etc.

In any case, you need to test your backup to make sure it works as expected.

--
http://www.firestreamer.com
Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,

"cristalink" wrote:

> So you have two HDDs, one for 32bit and another for 64bit. The below applies
> to Microsoft Backup (NTBackup).

Yes. Both independent OS drives are SCSI. Both drive's setups have the same
applications duplicated except Windows x64 has two less applications that
won't run at all under x64, so they have been excluded from the x64
installation.

Also, it should be pointed out that this system has an additional 2 IDE
drives and a SATA RAID 0 array with 2 WD Raptor drives.

> It becomes more complicated if you boot from different drives - ie each
> drive has its own boot sector, ntldr, boot.ini etc.

I know ... that is why I'm here ... LoL ...This is what I do.... Yes, each
drive has its own boot sector, etc.

Does this mean that I should physically disable the SCSI drive that houses
the 32 bit OS, remove it from the system and then create a backup using;
"Save All Info On This Computer"?

> In any case, you need to test your backup to make sure it works as expected.

I tried this, it failed and destoyed both OSs on both drives... THat's
another reason I'm here...

Ouch.... how do I do this without destroying my setups? ... I have a very
complicated multimedia production system that requires a totally custom OS,
Applications & Configurations setup. There is no restore disk or anything of
the sort... Which is the primary reason I would like to have a recovery
method similar to the method I use on the 32 bit boot drive using Ghost as an
imaging tool to create a system backup.

.... FYI .... Ghost 9.0 does not work with Windows x64

cristalink

Why do you need to switch between two boot drives? Why don't you boot from
the same drive and use the Windows boot menu? I think that would be easier
than switching the drives.

> Ouch.... how do I do this without destroying my setups?

I'm afraid there is no way except of installing a spare set of HDD or using
another PC.

> Yes, each drive has its own boot sector, etc.

In this configuration, it would be easier to use Ghost. With NTBackup, you
need to do ASR twice, for 32 and 64.

> I use on the 32 bit boot drive using Ghost as an
> imaging tool to create a system backup.
>
> ... FYI .... Ghost 9.0 does not work with Windows x64

Then why don't you run Ghost from within 32bit to save all your drives,
including 64bit? Ghost doesn't care what's on the drive...

--
http://www.firestreamer.com
Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,
encryption, compression, x64, IA-64, more!

"tmrpro_com" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "cristalink" wrote:
>
>> So you have two HDDs, one for 32bit and another for 64bit. The below
>> applies
>> to Microsoft Backup (NTBackup).

> Yes. Both independent OS drives are SCSI. Both drive's setups have the
> same
> applications duplicated except Windows x64 has two less applications that
> won't run at all under x64, so they have been excluded from the x64
> installation.
>
> Also, it should be pointed out that this system has an additional 2 IDE
> drives and a SATA RAID 0 array with 2 WD Raptor drives.
>
>> It becomes more complicated if you boot from different drives - ie each
>> drive has its own boot sector, ntldr, boot.ini etc.

> I know ... that is why I'm here ... LoL ...This is what I do.... Yes, each
> drive has its own boot sector, etc.
>
> Does this mean that I should physically disable the SCSI drive that houses
> the 32 bit OS, remove it from the system and then create a backup using;
> "Save All Info On This Computer"?
>
>> In any case, you need to test your backup to make sure it works as
>> expected.

> I tried this, it failed and destoyed both OSs on both drives... THat's
> another reason I'm here...
>
> Ouch.... how do I do this without destroying my setups? ... I have a very
> complicated multimedia production system that requires a totally custom
> OS,
> Applications & Configurations setup. There is no restore disk or anything
> of
> the sort... Which is the primary reason I would like to have a recovery
> method similar to the method I use on the 32 bit boot drive using Ghost as
> an
> imaging tool to create a system backup.
>
> ... FYI .... Ghost 9.0 does not work with Windows x64

Steve Thompson

tmrpro_com wrote:

> "cristalink" wrote:
>

>>So you have two HDDs, one for 32bit and another for 64bit. The below applies
>>to Microsoft Backup (NTBackup).

> Yes. Both independent OS drives are SCSI. Both drive's setups have the same
> applications duplicated except Windows x64 has two less applications that
> won't run at all under x64, so they have been excluded from the x64
> installation.
>
> Also, it should be pointed out that this system has an additional 2 IDE
> drives and a SATA RAID 0 array with 2 WD Raptor drives.
>

>>It becomes more complicated if you boot from different drives - ie each
>>drive has its own boot sector, ntldr, boot.ini etc.

> I know ... that is why I'm here ... LoL ...This is what I do.... Yes, each
> drive has its own boot sector, etc.
>
> Does this mean that I should physically disable the SCSI drive that houses
> the 32 bit OS, remove it from the system and then create a backup using;
> "Save All Info On This Computer"?
>

>>In any case, you need to test your backup to make sure it works as expected.

> I tried this, it failed and destoyed both OSs on both drives... THat's
> another reason I'm here...
>
> Ouch.... how do I do this without destroying my setups? ... I have a very
> complicated multimedia production system that requires a totally custom OS,
> Applications & Configurations setup. There is no restore disk or anything of
> the sort... Which is the primary reason I would like to have a recovery
> method similar to the method I use on the 32 bit boot drive using Ghost as an
> imaging tool to create a system backup.

If I were you, I would just keep 1 OS on this box and use another box
for the other OS. With all the hard drives you have, you could yank a
couple out for another system.

Take my advice... Scrap Microsoft backup. If your system and data are
that important to you, you should be considering something like
Lasso-Logic. http://www.lassologic.com/

HTH,

> .... FYI .... Ghost 9.0 does not work with Windows x64

--
Steve Thompson
Online 64 .NET | http://www.online64.net

zekolas

tmrpro_com wrote:
> I need to create a backup of my OS & sytem Apps/configurations in Windows x64.
>
> I thought I had followed the procedures correctly, but when I had a system
> failure and attempted to restore my backup file, it failed. I was forced to
> reinstall Windows & all of my apps and configurations.
>
> Could someone who uses the Windows backup utility please provide detailed,
> step by step instructions on how to successfully use this utility.

I don't use windows back up so probably would not be able to help,
however I just use some sort of drive imageing software such as norton
ghost, drive snapshot or partimage. It takes an image of your hard drive
or partition and saves it, then that image can be restored at any time.

You might have some trouble because your drives are scsi, I have never
used any of those programs with scsi drives.