Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > No floppy?

No floppy?

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy and OS.
How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to access a floppy?

Wayne Wastier

news:(E-Mail Removed)
> I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy
> and OS. How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to
> access a floppy?

You need to buy a floppy drive, and install it. Right now there is no other
way to do this. (either a USB floppy drive if your CMOS supports it, or a
regular floppy drive)

--

-------------------------------------
Wayne Wastier

=?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=

Never mind. I was trying to use Dell Server Installation 2.3 which wouldn't
load x64. When I switched to 2.4 it worked fine.

Cheers

"Mike" wrote:

> I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy and OS.
> How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to access a floppy?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Glad to hear Dell has finally integrated the drivers into their CD.

I keep a spare USB floppy around for those that will work with USB, and an
old floppy I pulled out of the last machine I sent off to the recycler for
those that don't do USB cleanly. When I need to use an F6 driver, I plug in
one or the other and do it. A PITA, and one that will go away with Vista,
finally.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Mike wrote:
> Never mind. I was trying to use Dell Server Installation 2.3 which
> wouldn't load x64. When I switched to 2.4 it worked fine.
>
> Cheers
>
> "Mike" wrote:
>
>> I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy and
>> OS. How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to access a
>> floppy?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

Could the going away with Vista have something to do with WinPE?
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:OWOCs$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Glad to hear Dell has finally integrated the drivers into their CD.
>
> I keep a spare USB floppy around for those that will work with USB, and an
> old floppy I pulled out of the last machine I sent off to the recycler for
> those that don't do USB cleanly. When I need to use an F6 driver, I plug
> in one or the other and do it. A PITA, and one that will go away with
> Vista, finally.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Mike wrote:
>> Never mind. I was trying to use Dell Server Installation 2.3 which
>> wouldn't load x64. When I switched to 2.4 it worked fine.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> "Mike" wrote:
>>
>>> I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy and
>>> OS. How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to access a
>>> floppy?

Charlie Russel - MVP

No comment.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Andre Da Costa [Extended64] wrote:
> Could the going away with Vista have something to do with WinPE?

> news:OWOCs$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Glad to hear Dell has finally integrated the drivers into their CD.
>>
>> I keep a spare USB floppy around for those that will work with USB, and
>> an old floppy I pulled out of the last machine I sent off to the
>> recycler for those that don't do USB cleanly. When I need to use an F6
>> driver, I plug in one or the other and do it. A PITA, and one that will
>> go away with Vista, finally.
>>

>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> Mike wrote:
>>> Never mind. I was trying to use Dell Server Installation 2.3 which
>>> wouldn't load x64. When I switched to 2.4 it worked fine.
>>>
>>> Cheers

=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=

I finally discovered why people are having such difficulty with RAID and
FLOPPY drives, the BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboard by default is causing the
problem. Everyone MUST "Enable" the "Seek for Floppy Drive" in the advanced
settings of BIOS. Ever since I can remember, this setting has been by
default, set on disable on most motherboard manufactures BIOS.

"Mike" wrote:

> I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy and OS.
> How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to access a floppy?

=?Utf-8?B?Tmljb2xhcw==?=

On Dell servers, you ALLWAYS have a CD called Installation and Server
Management CD.

All the needed drivers are on that CD. You boot on it, you will have a
wizard helping you to configure the RAID, then you put all the informations
(user, network conf,...) you chose your OS and...THAT's ALL !

Windows 2003 has all the PERC drivers included so no even need to use F6.

Finally, any USB floppy drive is supported on the x8xx generation.

--
DELL Expert Center Senior Analyst