Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Wireless USB Adapters: A Probable List Of Supported Brands

Wireless USB Adapters: A Probable List Of Supported Brands

=?Utf-8?B?R2FsZW4=?=

I just installed a Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter (model WUSB54G) in my Win
x64 box, and it installed right from the git go. I just connected Linksys,
booted Win x64, and directed the driver installer to the directory where I
had extracted the Ralink drivers. The thing picked up my access point right
away.

This is version 4 of the Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter. I have had version
1 for a long time before my Win x64 install, and it does not work under Win
x64.

There is no way for one to tell from the box which version of Linksys
Wireless -G USB adapter that is inside. I bought my Wireless-G from Buy.com,
so I guess they don't have earlier versions.

Note that, in the .inf file that comes with the Ralink drivers, there is a
list of other brands of wireless USB adapters that uses the Ralink chipset
and probably works in Win x64.

I say "probably works" because I really don't know.

The string of letters and numbers, like "VID_148F&PID_9020", are the numbers
you will find under the Details tab of the Properties of a device in the
Windows Device Manager. The VID for my Linksys that shows up in Device
Manager is the exact same one as the very last one on this page.

I do not know if any brand of wireless USB adapter listed below, other than
the Linksys models, can be found or purchased in the US or elsewhere.

As a general proposition, unproven by me, if the manufacturer or brand
listed below has a wireless USB adapter (a 802.11g unit), it probably has a
Ralink chipset and, accordingly, will work in Win x64 using Ralink's 64bit
drivers.

Amigo_1 USB\VID_148F&PID_9020

Amigo_2 USB\VID_0EB0&PID_9020

Amigo_3 USB\VID_0EB0&PID_9021

MSI:

m2500usb_6861 m2500usb_6861 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6861

m2500usb_6865 m2500usb_6865 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6865

m2500usb_6869 m2500usb_6869 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6869

SMC USB\VID_0707&PID_EE13

ASUS:

ASUS USB\VID_0B05&PID_1706
ASUSGEN USB\VID_0B05&PID_1707

ZINWELL USB\VID_5A57&PID_0260

VTech USB\VID_0F88&PID_3012

SURECOM USB\VID_0769&PID_11F3

Gigabyte USB\VID_1044&PID_8007

Siemens USB\VID_0681&PID_3C06

BUFFALO:

BUFFALO_5E USB\VID_0411&PID_005E

BUFFALO_66 USB\VID_0411&PID_0066

BUFFALO_67 USB\VID_0411&PID_0067

Sagem USB\VID_079B&PID_004B

Linksys

WUSB54GPv4 USB\VID_13b1&PID_0011

WUSB54Gv4 USB\VID_13b1&PID_000d

Charlie Russel - MVP

Thanks for that report. Ralink has been good about x64 drivers. I, for one,
very much appreciate it.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Galen wrote:
> I just installed a Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter (model WUSB54G) in my
> Win x64 box, and it installed right from the git go. I just connected
> Linksys, booted Win x64, and directed the driver installer to the
> directory where I had extracted the Ralink drivers. The thing picked up
> my access point right away.
>
> This is version 4 of the Linksys Wireless-G USB adapter. I have had
> version 1 for a long time before my Win x64 install, and it does not work
> under Win x64.
>
> There is no way for one to tell from the box which version of Linksys
> Wireless -G USB adapter that is inside. I bought my Wireless-G from
> Buy.com, so I guess they don't have earlier versions.
>
> Note that, in the .inf file that comes with the Ralink drivers, there is a
> list of other brands of wireless USB adapters that uses the Ralink chipset
> and probably works in Win x64.
>
> I say "probably works" because I really don't know.
>
> The string of letters and numbers, like "VID_148F&PID_9020", are the
> numbers you will find under the Details tab of the Properties of a device
> in the Windows Device Manager. The VID for my Linksys that shows up in
> Device Manager is the exact same one as the very last one on this page.
>
> I do not know if any brand of wireless USB adapter listed below, other
> than the Linksys models, can be found or purchased in the US or elsewhere.
>
> As a general proposition, unproven by me, if the manufacturer or brand
> listed below has a wireless USB adapter (a 802.11g unit), it probably has
> a Ralink chipset and, accordingly, will work in Win x64 using Ralink's
> 64bit drivers.
>

> Amigo_1 USB\VID_148F&PID_9020
>
> Amigo_2 USB\VID_0EB0&PID_9020
>
> Amigo_3 USB\VID_0EB0&PID_9021
>

> MSI:
>
> m2500usb_6861 m2500usb_6861 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6861
>
> m2500usb_6865 m2500usb_6865 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6865
>
> m2500usb_6869 m2500usb_6869 USB\VID_0DB0&PID_6869
>

> SMC USB\VID_0707&PID_EE13
>
> ASUS:
>
> ASUS USB\VID_0B05&PID_1706
> ASUSGEN USB\VID_0B05&PID_1707
>
> ZINWELL USB\VID_5A57&PID_0260
>
> VTech USB\VID_0F88&PID_3012
>
> SURECOM USB\VID_0769&PID_11F3
>
> Gigabyte USB\VID_1044&PID_8007
>
> Siemens USB\VID_0681&PID_3C06
>
> BUFFALO:
>
> BUFFALO_5E USB\VID_0411&PID_005E
>
> BUFFALO_66 USB\VID_0411&PID_0066
>
> BUFFALO_67 USB\VID_0411&PID_0067
>
> Sagem USB\VID_079B&PID_004B
>
> Linksys
>
> WUSB54GPv4 USB\VID_13b1&PID_0011
>
> WUSB54Gv4 USB\VID_13b1&PID_000d

Mirko

I know this is OT here, but I am always getting a bit confused when I read
the term "Wireless USB adapter" somewhere.

I figured that the term is usually being used to refer to "USB-connected
Wireless LAN" adapters.

But shouldn't a "Wireless USB adapter" really be something like a hardware
device that plugs into your computer and provides you with connectivity to
devices (future printers, scanners, webcams, mouses, etc.) that follow the
"Wireless USB" (WUSB) standard? http://www.usb.org/developers/wusb/
(I believe there's no such hardware on the market yet, though)

I hope the industry will find ways to clearly distinguish bewteen the two,
to prevent users from accidentally buying the latter hardware when they
actually wanted to buy one of the former mentioned (or vice versa), since
probably not every computer user knows what things like "802.11g" mean.

(just some thoughts)

"Galen" <(E-Mail Removed)>
:(E-Mail Removed)...