Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > MapViewOfFile() for file larger than 4GByte?

MapViewOfFile() for file larger than 4GByte?

=?Utf-8?B?UGV0ZXI=?=

In case of I've got a file larger than 4GByte can I map the entire file into
my address space in 64bit Windows?
MapViewOfFile() supports only a DWORD argument for the mapping size but this
can be left zero to indicate that one wants to map the entire file.
Does this work for files larger than 4GByte?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

If you are using FAT32 move to NTFS, it will support that file size.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> In case of I've got a file larger than 4GByte can I map the entire file
> into
> my address space in 64bit Windows?
> MapViewOfFile() supports only a DWORD argument for the mapping size but
> this
> can be left zero to indicate that one wants to map the entire file.
> Does this work for files larger than 4GByte?

Norman Diamond

If he were using FAT32 then his question couldn't arise in the first place.
His file is already greater than 4GB and his question concerns
MapViewOfFile().

news:uh4$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If you are using FAT32 move to NTFS, it will support that file size.
> --
> Andre
> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>
> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> In case of I've got a file larger than 4GByte can I map the entire file
>> into
>> my address space in 64bit Windows?
>> MapViewOfFile() supports only a DWORD argument for the mapping size but
>> this
>> can be left zero to indicate that one wants to map the entire file.
>> Does this work for files larger than 4GByte?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

True.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta

"Norman Diamond" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:el$(E-Mail Removed)...
> If he were using FAT32 then his question couldn't arise in the first
> place. His file is already greater than 4GB and his question concerns
> MapViewOfFile().

> news:uh4$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> If you are using FAT32 move to NTFS, it will support that file size.
>> --
>> Andre
>> Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
>>
>> "Peter" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> In case of I've got a file larger than 4GByte can I map the entire file
>>> into
>>> my address space in 64bit Windows?
>>> MapViewOfFile() supports only a DWORD argument for the mapping size but
>>> this
>>> can be left zero to indicate that one wants to map the entire file.
>>> Does this work for files larger than 4GByte?

Charlie Russel - MVP

If you're calling from a 64 bit program, then yes, it should grab a file
larger than 4GB, since the address space available is 8TB. But I am NOT a
programmer, and I don't even play one on the Internet any more.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Peter wrote:
> In case of I've got a file larger than 4GByte can I map the entire file
> into my address space in 64bit Windows?
> MapViewOfFile() supports only a DWORD argument for the mapping size but
> this can be left zero to indicate that one wants to map the entire file.
> Does this work for files larger than 4GByte?

Charlie Russel - MVP

I may not be a programmer, but GIYF.

http://www.devx.com/assets/amd/11615.ppt

(google MapViewOfFile() x64)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Peter wrote:
> In case of I've got a file larger than 4GByte can I map the entire file
> into my address space in 64bit Windows?
> MapViewOfFile() supports only a DWORD argument for the mapping size but
> this can be left zero to indicate that one wants to map the entire file.
> Does this work for files larger than 4GByte?

Mercury

LPVOID MapViewOfFileEx(
HANDLE hFileMappingObject,
DWORD dwDesiredAccess,
DWORD dwFileOffsetHigh,
DWORD dwFileOffsetLow,
SIZE_T dwNumberOfBytesToMap,
LPVOID lpBaseAddress
);

SIZE_T The maximum number of bytes to which a pointer can point. Use
for a count that must span the full range of a pointer.
This type is declared in Basetsd.h as follows:

typedef ULONG_PTR SIZE_T;

IE SIZE_T is = LONG_PTR which *is* 64bit.

news:uh4$(E-Mail Removed)...