Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Help! Compatability issue with xp pro 64 and MS Outlook

Reply
Thread Tools

Help! Compatability issue with xp pro 64 and MS Outlook

 
 
David Nisbet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
There is a known compatability issue with machines running xp pro 64 with
4gb ram which causes outlook to crash. I need this hotfix :
http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;896253#9

It says to contact MS for fix yet when I contact them they put me through to
the pay technical support site. I just need this file to get through the
install of outlook. anyone have it or know an alternate solution?

TIA


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005

"David Nisbet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> There is a known compatability issue with machines running xp pro 64 with
> 4gb ram which causes outlook to crash. I need this hotfix :
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;896253#9
>
> It says to contact MS for fix yet when I contact them they put me through
> to the pay technical support site. I just need this file to get through
> the install of outlook. anyone have it or know an alternate solution?
>
> TIA
>


The file seems to have no link, which may mean one of several things. The
patch is no longer needed, the patch is being updated, MSFT forgot to
include a link to the patch, etc.... The file in question is:
Office2003-kb896253-enu.exe


Wayne


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
David Nisbet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005
Exactly...so how do I get it?

"Wayne Wastier" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
> "David Nisbet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> There is a known compatability issue with machines running xp pro 64 with
>> 4gb ram which causes outlook to crash. I need this hotfix :
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;896253#9
>>
>> It says to contact MS for fix yet when I contact them they put me through
>> to the pay technical support site. I just need this file to get through
>> the install of outlook. anyone have it or know an alternate solution?
>>
>> TIA
>>

>
> The file seems to have no link, which may mean one of several things. The
> patch is no longer needed, the patch is being updated, MSFT forgot to
> include a link to the patch, etc.... The file in question is:
> Office2003-kb896253-enu.exe
>
>
> Wayne
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-26-2005

"David Nisbet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Exactly...so how do I get it?
>


Look on this NG, and find the email addy of a MSFT employee and ask him/her.
I tried searching for it, but came up with a big fat zilch!!!! (



Wayne


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
you have to go through to the pay support site. But you won't have to
actually pay -- it's a bug, and bug fixes are available free. The ONLY way
to get the file is to contact support for the fix. It isn't directly
downloadable.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

David Nisbet wrote:
> There is a known compatability issue with machines running xp pro 64 with
> 4gb ram which causes outlook to crash. I need this hotfix :
> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;896253#9
>
> It says to contact MS for fix yet when I contact them they put me through
> to the pay technical support site. I just need this file to get through
> the install of outlook. anyone have it or know an alternate solution?
>
> TIA



 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you have to go through to the pay support site. But you won't have to
> actually pay -- it's a bug, and bug fixes are available free. The ONLY way
> to get the file is to contact support for the fix. It isn't directly
> downloadable.
>
> --
> Charlie.


That is sad. The patch should be directly available, just as the service
packs are.


Wayne


 
Reply With Quote
 
Charlie Russel - MVP
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
This has always been the rule for hot fixes. Some eventually migrate out to
visible, others do not. But the reason is that hot fixes are NOT as
thoroughly beta tested as service packs, and sometimes get interim updates
or issues that develop. This way they can track them. And make sure that you
really need to hot fix before they give it to you. They do NOT want them
installed except where it's really needed. (I know, I know, and I absolutely
agree with you. But that's the rationale I was given when I asked.)

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Wayne Wastier wrote:
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> you have to go through to the pay support site. But you won't have to
>> actually pay -- it's a bug, and bug fixes are available free. The ONLY
>> way to get the file is to contact support for the fix. It isn't directly
>> downloadable.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.

>
> That is sad. The patch should be directly available, just as the service
> packs are.
>
>
> Wayne



 
Reply With Quote
 
Wayne Wastier
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:up%(E-Mail Removed)...
> This has always been the rule for hot fixes. Some eventually migrate out
> to visible, others do not. But the reason is that hot fixes are NOT as
> thoroughly beta tested as service packs, and sometimes get interim updates
> or issues that develop. This way they can track them. And make sure that
> you really need to hot fix before they give it to you. They do NOT want
> them installed except where it's really needed. (I know, I know, and I
> absolutely agree with you. But that's the rationale I was given when I
> asked.)
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>


"Daddy, can I please fix my computer?" Not until you jump a few hoops, my
child.


ROFLMAO.


Wayne


 
Reply With Quote
 
David Nisbet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Thanks for the info Charlie!

"Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> you have to go through to the pay support site. But you won't have to
> actually pay -- it's a bug, and bug fixes are available free. The ONLY way
> to get the file is to contact support for the fix. It isn't directly
> downloadable.
>
> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> David Nisbet wrote:
>> There is a known compatability issue with machines running xp pro 64 with
>> 4gb ram which causes outlook to crash. I need this hotfix :
>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;896253#9
>>
>> It says to contact MS for fix yet when I contact them they put me through
>> to the pay technical support site. I just need this file to get through
>> the install of outlook. anyone have it or know an alternate solution?
>>
>> TIA

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      09-27-2005
Yeah, thanks for the information. I agree with Wayne though, its bit out of
the realm especially for what is common issue with Outlook on x64. I would
at least have a link for it on the x64 trouble shoot center.
--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com
Blog | http://www.extended64.com/blogs/andre
http://spaces.msn.com/members/adacosta
FAQ for MS AntiSpy http://www.geocities.com/marfer_mvp/FAQ_MSantispy.htm

"David Nisbet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks for the info Charlie!
>
> "Charlie Russel - MVP" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> you have to go through to the pay support site. But you won't have to
>> actually pay -- it's a bug, and bug fixes are available free. The ONLY
>> way to get the file is to contact support for the fix. It isn't directly
>> downloadable.
>>
>> --
>> Charlie.
>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>>
>> David Nisbet wrote:
>>> There is a known compatability issue with machines running xp pro 64
>>> with
>>> 4gb ram which causes outlook to crash. I need this hotfix :
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/default...en-us;896253#9
>>>
>>> It says to contact MS for fix yet when I contact them they put me
>>> through
>>> to the pay technical support site. I just need this file to get through
>>> the install of outlook. anyone have it or know an alternate solution?
>>>
>>> TIA

>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
64 Bit compatability issue RichardInTN Windows 64bit 7 07-07-2008 01:35 PM
possible .NET 2 compatability issue bne ASP .Net 0 07-01-2006 03:01 PM
compatability issue Phillip Parr Javascript 1 11-26-2004 01:13 PM
Assert failed-possible vs.net compatability issue =?Utf-8?B?UGF1bA==?= ASP .Net 0 10-29-2004 04:54 PM
AOL compatability issue Kathleen Coyne HTML 10 07-26-2003 08:09 AM



Advertisments