Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Dual Boot question....

Dual Boot question....

=?Utf-8?B?S2FybGg=?=

Hi,

Got a new PC with XP x64 installed, and I'm having a few perpheral issues so
I'm thinking of going down the dual boot route.
Currently I have one SATA 300gb with the XP x64 and want to get a second
SATA drive onto which I'd install XP x32.

Now I'm new to this dual boot, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd
need to do. Could I unplug the current drive, plug in the new one, set up XP
x32, copy some files from the x64 disk (forget which ones) and edit the
boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as the
secondary?
Appreciate any help!

Joseph Conway [MSFT]

You typically want x86 as your first installed OS. So, in your case, it
might not be possible to do this. What you could do is install the x86 OS
on your other drive with the x64 detached, then change the BIOS boot order
and boot.ini to be proper based on what you want to boot.

Frank

Karlh wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Got a new PC with XP x64 installed, and I'm having a few perpheral issues so
> I'm thinking of going down the dual boot route.
> Currently I have one SATA 300gb with the XP x64 and want to get a second
> SATA drive onto which I'd install XP x32.
>
> Now I'm new to this dual boot, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd
> need to do. Could I unplug the current drive, plug in the new one, set up XP
> x32, copy some files from the x64 disk (forget which ones) and edit the
> boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as the
> secondary?
> Appreciate any help!

No need to jump thru all those hoops. Simply install your second drive,
boot from the xp (32bit) cd and install it on the new drive. After
install you can can easily change the boot order or copy files from one
drive to the other.
I do it all the time.
Frank

andy

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 08:32:06 -0700, "Karlh"
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Got a new PC with XP x64 installed, and I'm having a few perpheral issues so
>I'm thinking of going down the dual boot route.
>Currently I have one SATA 300gb with the XP x64 and want to get a second
>SATA drive onto which I'd install XP x32.
>
>Now I'm new to this dual boot, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd
>need to do. Could I unplug the current drive, plug in the new one, set up XP
>x32, copy some files from the x64 disk (forget which ones) and edit the
>boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as the
>secondary?

If you do it as you describe above, there is no need to copy files.
Once you reconnect the XP64 as the first drive, it already has the
appropriate ntldr and ntdetect.com files.The only thing you have to do
is add an entry in C:\boot.ini for the XP32 installation on the second
disk. You can do this by either running bootcfg /rebuild via the
recovery console, or copying the entry from the XP32 boot.ini
(E:\boot.ini if D: is the optical drive), changing rdisk(0) to
rdisk(1).

>Appreciate any help!

John Barnes

Since you already have the 64-bit versions on your drive, you should be fine
if after you have installed x32 on the new drive (only one connected), make
sure your BIOS is set up to boot from the x64 system after you reconnect it
, then change the boot.ini to include the x32 system. You can do this in
System Properties or with the Recovery Console. If you want to boot from
the x32 system, you will need to copy the 64-bit version of ntldr and
ntdetect.com onto the x32 drive.

"Karlh" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi,
>
> Got a new PC with XP x64 installed, and I'm having a few perpheral issues
> so
> I'm thinking of going down the dual boot route.
> Currently I have one SATA 300gb with the XP x64 and want to get a second
> SATA drive onto which I'd install XP x32.
>
> Now I'm new to this dual boot, so I'm hoping someone can tell me what I'd
> need to do. Could I unplug the current drive, plug in the new one, set up
> XP
> x32, copy some files from the x64 disk (forget which ones) and edit the
> boot.ini, then plug in the origional disk as the master having the x32 as
> the
> secondary?
> Appreciate any help!

wes40oz

Generic Host Process for Win32 Services crashes about every 2 seconds I
actually had to turn off the error reporting since I was getting so many,
does anyone else have this problem?

also, I get the machine check corrected error and check event logs about
every 5 mins...

I have the OEM version of win xp 64

any help on this would be great!!!

--