Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Convert.exe

Convert.exe

Fat Bastard

I have a question can I take a fat HD and use convert.exe to NTFS HD? Will
it keep the data. The HD that I have is boot HD and I would like to change
the fat to NTSF with out reformation.

DKI

I know you can convert a fat hdd with put loosing data
Type this in the command prompt
CONVERT C: /fs:ntfs
that is the command to convert the hdd from fat to ntfs without formating.
Reboot and let it convert the disk

this method will not loose any data as well but i find that its better to
just format the drive with ntfs then convert it.

"Fat Bastard" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a question can I take a fat HD and use convert.exe to NTFS HD? Will
>it keep the data. The HD that I have is boot HD and I would like to change
>the fat to NTSF with out reformation.

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes. Syntax is:
convert <driveletter>: /type:NTFS

Note that a boot volume will require a reboot, and will do the conversion
after the reboot, before Windows can start back up.

Structurally, there are some concerns about the overall efficiency of the
drive created by conversion versus starting fresh, but it's a tradeoff
against the ability to convert without have to rebuild the whole machine.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Fat Bastard wrote:
> I have a question can I take a fat HD and use convert.exe to NTFS HD? Will
> it keep the data. The HD that I have is boot HD and I would like to change
> the fat to NTSF with out reformation.

Fat Bastard

Thanks to all
I am go now to try it.