Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > 32-bit IE creates funky folders on the desktop

32-bit IE creates funky folders on the desktop

Lio

I hope somebody at MS reads this:

I'm using WinXP Pro x64. For some reason, the 32-bit internet explorer
keeps installing one of the active-x controls I'm currently developing
in a funky-named folder on my desktop.

I'll try to explain this in more detail:
I'm currently making an active-x control. To test this control, I
remove the currently registered control, copy the (signed) cab with the
new version to the webserver and I go to the test website. IE
immediately prompts me whether I want to install the control.

The .INF file from the cab correctly ends up in the Downloaded Programs
Folder, but for some reason the DLL ends up in a new, randomly-named
folder on my desktop! In the Downloaded Programs Files folder the
control is marked as Installed, but the DLL is using a relative path
and is marked as Damaged. Sometimes the installation fails. In these
cases the control's properties in Download Program Files folder shows
the DLL again with a relative path but with strange (probably illegal)
characters.

This behaviour is very reproducable.

Lio.