Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > virtual memory problem

virtual memory problem

Phydeux

I've been noticing that when I run peer-to-peer software the memory and
pagefile usage is astronomical and, while I can recover the physical memory
with something like Cacheman, how can I recover pagefile usage? And is this
problem application-related or OS-related?

Andre Da Costa [Extended64]

889654 How to determine the appropriate page file size for 64-bit versions
of
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=889654

Processor and memory capabilities of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition and
of the x64-based versions of Windows Server 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/888732

--
Andre
Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

"Phydeux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I've been noticing that when I run peer-to-peer software the memory and
> pagefile usage is astronomical and, while I can recover the physical
> memory with something like Cacheman, how can I recover pagefile usage?
> And is this problem application-related or OS-related?

zekolas

Phydeux wrote:
> I've been noticing that when I run peer-to-peer software the memory and
> pagefile usage is astronomical and, while I can recover the physical memory
> with something like Cacheman, how can I recover pagefile usage? And is this
> problem application-related or OS-related?

why is this a problem, you should have your pagefile limited to some
certain amount(I have my upper limit 1 gig). Your memory is there to be
used, it is wastefull if your memory is not 100% full. Also memory
managers like Cacheman are dumb and inneffective.

For example I have 1 gig of memory, I start up windows, start office,
firefox, google messenger ect and still have 200megs of memory left. I
then close those applications, windows (or cacheman) should NOT remove
any of the programs from memory, it is not hurting anything if they stay
in memory, and if I decide to open firefox again, it will start
extreamly fast. It is called cache, those programs should stay in memory
incase I decide to open them again, however since they are cache, if
windows needs the memory for some other application it can safly
overwrite it and use it.

I don't see why people buy a gig of memory then compain that it is full,
memory is suppose to be full because memory is fast, a good operating
system should not remove anything from memory untill it is all used up.

So to answer your question, the only way to recover pagefile useage(I
don't see any reason to do this) is to restart windows.