Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > New installation of XP 64

New installation of XP 64

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical memory.
Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the motherboard.
Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the screen
goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device in
one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one. What
gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

NoNoBadDog!

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
> memory.
> Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
> motherboard.
> Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the screen
> goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device
> in
> one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one.
> What
> gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation of
EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no Direct
Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things that will
allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2, PCI-E SLI,
etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the Pentium 4 32 bit
form factor...

Bobby

Glenn Smith

news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
>> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
>> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
>> memory.
>> Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
>> motherboard.
>> Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the screen
>> goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device
>> in
>> one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one.
>> What
>> gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

> You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
> FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation
> of EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no
> Direct Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things
> that will allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2,
> PCI-E SLI, etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the
> Pentium 4 32 bit form factor...
>
> Bobby

Um, please don't take this the wrong way. AMD's are great for games, video,
etc, but
many folks code, code some more, and then continue coding. I just built a
machine
with Intel 945GTP, P4 640, works fine.
I am not editing video, or playing games, so SATA2 and SLI can wait. I
realize Intel has been
behind the curve for a while, but you might want to drop your prejudice.
This thing hums along,
drivers all good, installs all good, and as a result, I have abandoned all
32 bit applications, compilers, etc.
Working with .NET 2.0 beta, SDK 2.0 beta, deep in the learning curve!

Although, I'm sure microsoft will throw me a few hoops during compiling and
testing.

Glenn E. Smith
Anode PC
PC based Automation (robots, machines, not Office products!)

San Diego, Ca, ...home of the tank boy

NoNoBadDog!

"Glenn Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...

> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
>>> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
>>> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
>>> memory.
>>> Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
>>> motherboard.
>>> Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the
>>> screen
>>> goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device
>>> in
>>> one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one.
>>> What
>>> gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

>> You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
>> FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation
>> of EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no
>> Direct Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things
>> that will allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2,
>> PCI-E SLI, etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the
>> Pentium 4 32 bit form factor...
>>
>> Bobby
>>

> Um, please don't take this the wrong way. AMD's are great for games,
> video, etc, but
> many folks code, code some more, and then continue coding. I just built a
> machine
> with Intel 945GTP, P4 640, works fine.
> I am not editing video, or playing games, so SATA2 and SLI can wait. I
> realize Intel has been
> behind the curve for a while, but you might want to drop your prejudice.
> This thing hums along,
> drivers all good, installs all good, and as a result, I have abandoned all
> 32 bit applications, compilers, etc.
> Working with .NET 2.0 beta, SDK 2.0 beta, deep in the learning curve!
>
> Although, I'm sure microsoft will throw me a few hoops during compiling
> and testing.
>
> Glenn E. Smith
> Anode PC
> PC based Automation (robots, machines, not Office products!)
>
> San Diego, Ca, ...home of the tank boy

Glenn;

I was for a very long time an Intel devotee, but no more. My post only
begins to scratch the surface when it comes to how far behind they are in
the modern CPU market. I hate to see them stagnate the way they have...it's
really very sad.

Anyone who take the time to check the facts (without listening to any of the
hype), will soon realize that the only real choice is AMD. Intel is still
stuck making chips on the P4 architecture and mating them to all the old
bottlenecks (Northbridge chipset, not DCA, and the far over-hyped
hyperthreading).

Maybe when Intel finally gets it's act together and starts producing chips
that are not hopelessly mired in yesterdays technology, I'll give them
another look. Until then, it's AMD only for this household...currently have
4 that replace top-of-the line P4 machines.

I am happy that you are satisfied with the performance of your machine. I
would just ask you to imagine how much faster it would be if it weren't in a
motherboard that is stuck with a kludgey NB, no on die memory controller, no
DCA, no Hypertransport, etc.

Bobby

Charlie Russel - MVP

Which splash screen, the Motherboard one, or the Windows one?

If it started after the USB drive was added, remove the USB drive. Let's get
this back to working and then we can figure out where the problem might be.

Also, disable ANY overclocking you may have done.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

Steve wrote:
> I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
> memory. Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
> motherboard. Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up
> but the screen goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a
> portable USB device in one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this
> OS for the 32 bit one. What gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time"
> yet?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Yes, Bobby, but that doesn't help Steve get his machine running. We all know
well by now how you feel about AMD v. Intel. Personally, I can see virtues
in both technologies, and AMD is _way_ behind the curve in HyperThreading.
Which _does_ help for may day to day tasks when you run as I do. OTOH, I
love my two Athlon64 machines and my Turion64 Ferrari.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64

NoNoBadDog! wrote:
> "Glenn Smith" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>>
>> "NoNoBadDog!" <no_@spam_verizon.net> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> "Steve" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>>
>>> You cannot blame hardware issues on the OS.
>>> FWIW, you should have bought an AMD64 processor. Intel's implementation
>>> of EM64T is not ready for prime time...no on die memory controller, no
>>> Direct Connect Architecture, no Hypertransport bus...none of the things
>>> that will allow you to take advantage of the latest technologies (SATA2,
>>> PCI-E SLI, etc). Intel is still building it's EM64T chips using the
>>> Pentium 4 32 bit form factor...
>>>
>>> Bobby
>>>

>> Um, please don't take this the wrong way. AMD's are great for games,
>> video, etc, but
>> many folks code, code some more, and then continue coding. I just built
>> a machine
>> with Intel 945GTP, P4 640, works fine.
>> I am not editing video, or playing games, so SATA2 and SLI can wait. I
>> realize Intel has been
>> behind the curve for a while, but you might want to drop your prejudice.
>> This thing hums along,
>> drivers all good, installs all good, and as a result, I have abandoned
>> all 32 bit applications, compilers, etc.
>> Working with .NET 2.0 beta, SDK 2.0 beta, deep in the learning curve!
>>
>> Although, I'm sure microsoft will throw me a few hoops during compiling
>> and testing.
>>
>> Glenn E. Smith
>> Anode PC
>> PC based Automation (robots, machines, not Office products!)
>>
>> San Diego, Ca, ...home of the tank boy
>>

> Glenn;
>
> I was for a very long time an Intel devotee, but no more. My post only
> begins to scratch the surface when it comes to how far behind they are in
> the modern CPU market. I hate to see them stagnate the way they
> have...it's really very sad.
>
> Anyone who take the time to check the facts (without listening to any of
> the hype), will soon realize that the only real choice is AMD. Intel is
> still stuck making chips on the P4 architecture and mating them to all
> the old bottlenecks (Northbridge chipset, not DCA, and the far over-hyped
> hyperthreading).
>
> Maybe when Intel finally gets it's act together and starts producing chips
> that are not hopelessly mired in yesterdays technology, I'll give them
> another look. Until then, it's AMD only for this household...currently
> have 4 that replace top-of-the line P4 machines.
>
> I am happy that you are satisfied with the performance of your machine. I
> would just ask you to imagine how much faster it would be if it weren't
> in a motherboard that is stuck with a kludgey NB, no on die memory
> controller, no DCA, no Hypertransport, etc.
>
> Bobby

Rick

It may actually be the particular brand and/or model of USB device
causing the problem. I have a "SMSC USB FDC USB Device" floppy drive
that I had no problems with in XP Pro or Home, but when I tried to use
it with Win x64, the appropriate PnP drive had been left out of the Win
x64 distribution.

Exactly what is the USB portable device you're having problems with?
Did it previously work with 32-bit XP?

Yes, Windows XP Professional x64 is ready for "Prime Time." But, there
is a lot of 3rd party support, hardware and software, that is not ready
for "Prime Time" and that is not Microsoft's fault.

Steve wrote:
> I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
> motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
> Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical memory.
> Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the motherboard.
> Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up but the screen
> goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a portable USB device in
> one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this OS for the 32 bit one. What
> gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time" yet?

=?Utf-8?B?U3RldmU=?=

The windows one

Steve

"Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

> Which splash screen, the Motherboard one, or the Windows one?
>
> If it started after the USB drive was added, remove the USB drive. Let's get
> this back to working and then we can figure out where the problem might be.
>
> Also, disable ANY overclocking you may have done.
>

> --
> Charlie.
> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
>
> Steve wrote:
> > I have just installed XP 64 on a new computer I built. Intel 945GNT
> > motherboard with 3 gHz Pentium D chip. Three 250 gb Western Digital Hard
> > Drives set up as RAID 5. Difficult installation at best. 2gb Cruical
> > memory. Intels BIOS update destroyed the BIOS and I had to replace the
> > motherboard. Finally got things working. Now the splash screen comes up
> > but the screen goes blank afterwards. This started after I places a
> > portable USB device in one of the USB ports. Newegg refuses to swap this
> > OS for the 32 bit one. What gives.? Is this thing ready for "prime time"
> > yet?

Charlie Russel - MVP

Ah. The problem is that the USB drive is being seen as the first hard drive,
and this is messing up your boot sequence. Remove the USB drive until after
the system is booted.

--
Charlie.
http://msmvps.com/xperts64