Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Windows 64bit > Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133

Can't boot to XP 64 with drives connected to Maxtor Ultra ATA 133

Draco Paladine

There is one thing that these posts have not mentioned. There is an
interupt that needs to be caught while POSTING, its something about Ir9 I
think it is. THIS allows controller cards to give priority and then access
their onboard BIOS and give it priority over MB devices. Check this
setting. I will do a little research on your board type in a minute and
post my findings.
BUT, you should be able to go in to your computer's BIOS and find this.

Draco Paladine

"Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor
>Ultra
> ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when
> disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
> system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the
> onboard
> IDE controller.
>
> During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected
> the Maxtor card.
>
> Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the
> system
> boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message
> which
> reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>
> This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
> which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
> hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?
>
> My hardware is as follows:
> Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
> 2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
> Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
> Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
> Technology)
> 2 WDC SATA hard drives
> 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
> 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
> 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
>
> Maxtor's technical support wrote:
>
> It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
> recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration
> until
> just recently? When did the problem start?
>
> We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
> supplied with the card itself.
>
> Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
> fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

> Your problem really sounds like you need to get someone to do some
> hands-on trouble shooting.

That's what I'm trying to do. I certainly have at least as much
experience/knowledge as some A+ certified GeekSquad technician. I don't know
who to go to with a problem like this. I'm also not looking to spend
megabucks on getting some IDE drives working. Maybe some Microsoft technician
would be interested in resolving this problem? Who knows?

"Rick" wrote:

> I think you should go to the Microsoft web site and do a search on:
>
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
>
> I just did and there are many reference that come back. It seems most
> indicate a software problem, but one or two do caution about hardware
> incompatibility.
>
> Your problem really sounds like you need to get someone to do some
> hands-on trouble shooting.
>

> Hagop wrote:
> > I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor Ultra
> > ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when I
> > disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
> > system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the onboard
> > IDE controller.
> >
> > During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected to
> > the Maxtor card.
> >
> > Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the system
> > boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message which
> > reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> >
> > This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
> > which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
> > hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?
> >
> > My hardware is as follows:
> > Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
> > 2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
> > Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
> > Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
> > Technology)
> > 2 WDC SATA hard drives
> > 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
> > 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
> > 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
> >
> > Maxtor's technical support wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
> > recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration until
> > just recently? When did the problem start?
> >
> > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
> > supplied with the card itself.
> >
> > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
> > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

I installed and ran the Debugging Tools for Windows. I looked at the last
crash dump. The offending driver is SCSIPORT.SYS. I found the driver
(C:\Windows\system32\drivers\scsiport.sys) and checked the properties. Lo and
behold, it's a Microsoft driver.

File version: 5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
Copyright: (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Think this is enough evidence to go to Microsoft with?

"cristalink" wrote:

> Blue screens are caused either by bad drivers or faulty hardware.
> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a faulty driver.
>
> You can use Microsoft WinDbg from Debugging Tools for Windows (it's free) to
> find out the name of the offending driver by analyzing the crash dump. It's
> not as hard as it sounds. All you need is load a crash dump then type
> "!analyze -v". Or you can try Windows Driver Verifier (verifier.exe). Once
> you get the name of the driver, you can try to disable it, get a fixed
> version, or contact the manufacturer with some evidence at hand.
> --
> http://www.firestreamer.com
> Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,
> encryption, compression, x64, IA-64, more!
>

> "Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor
> >Ultra
> > ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when
> > disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
> > system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the
> > onboard
> > IDE controller.
> >
> > During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected
> > the Maxtor card.
> >
> > Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the
> > system
> > boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message
> > which
> > reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> >
> > This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
> > which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
> > hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?
> >
> > My hardware is as follows:
> > Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
> > 2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
> > Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
> > Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
> > Technology)
> > 2 WDC SATA hard drives
> > 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
> > 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
> > 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
> >
> > Maxtor's technical support wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
> > recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration
> > until
> > just recently? When did the problem start?
> >
> > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
> > supplied with the card itself.
> >
> > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
> > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

Tony Sperling

If I get that right, you have configured your BIOS to boot from SATA - then
you insert a IDE card (in exchange for the connectors already on the board?)
You don't re-configure the BIOS and your IDE won't boot! If this is an
attempt at dual-booting, then it will not work as expected. If you are just
trying to boot an older drive intermittently, then you need to re-configure
the boot order, and what Rick says, makes perfect sense, but some (perhaps
most) BIOS'es have the ability to make either SATA or IDE active or indeed
both at once. Perhaps you should close-read those BIOS options?

I'm a little confused, not surprised your machine is - and no offence!

Tony. . .

"Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > 1.
> > > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware

is
> > > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

> > 1. Maybe. It's not unlikely that they can communicate their ID info to

BIOS
> > without any 64 bit support.
> >

> That was Maxtor's support technician. I certainly didn't assume that just
> because the Maxtor card was able to report the presence of the drive all

was
> okay. On the contrary, I was using that information simply as verification
> that the hardware was functional at the most basic level.
>

> > 2.
> > > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what

was
> > > supplied with the card itself.
> > >

> > 2. Are those drivers 64bit? Of course, being ATA, it could be serviced

from
> > the OS directly, but the stuff on the board must itself be able to
> > communicate in 64bit, am I mistaken, anyone?
> >

> I am not using the drivers that came with the card. I am using the drivers
> supplied by Microsoft on the XP 64 disk. I would hope that anything on

that
> distribution would work correctly, but who knows? The card is listed under
> "SCSI and RAID controllers" as "Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE
> Controller". The driver details are as follows:
>
> Provider: Microsoft
> Date: 10/1/2002
> Version: 5.2.3790.1830
> Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher
>
> Driver File Details:
> Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller
> Driver files:
> C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys
> Provider: Promise Technology, Inc.
> File version: 2.1.0.1
> Copyright: (c) 1988-2002 Promise Technology Inc.
> Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher
>
> > It is my experience that if you have SATA on-board and put other stuff
> > inside there too and let the machine figure out for itself what to do

with
> > it, you are bound to have some kind of trouble, and most likely

something
> > that is hard to figure. Make sure that everything you put inside has

64bit
> > support - connected or not.
> >

> I don't know what to make of this paragraph. It doesn't seem like a

stretch
> to expect 64 bit support of IDE devices. I would expect that the OS has

the
> ability to support these devices, and the hardware follows some defined
> protocols to identify/numerate itself to the OS.
>
> > What of your BIOS? Doesn't it need to be configured so as to know where

> > boot from? If you put a card inside I guess you have to disable the

things
> > it is to replace, as a minimum. And probably also shuffle the boot-order
> > around a bit, I assume.

> I have configured the BIOS to boot only from the SATA drive on which my OS
> is installed. The system utilities (F2 at POST in my case) detect the

other
> hard drives installed on the Ultra ATA card. I have excluded them from the
> list of boot devices.
>

> > We probably would do well with some explanation of what was exchanged

for
> > what reasons, together with some specifics of how you went about
> > organizing - what, at first, looks a bit 'over the top'.

> I don't know what you're looking for when you're asking for "what was
> exchanged for what reasons." If you're asking how I've arranged my IDE
> chains, I'd be happy to provide the details, but I didn't think it very
> relevant to the problem I'm experiencing.
>

> > Greetings, Tony. . .

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

I have no idea what you're saying here. The only thing I found in the manual
that mentioned IRQ9 was titled, "PCI/PNP ISA IRQ Resource Exclusion". The
Maxtor card I have installed is a PCI card, so I don't think I need to
reserve IRQ9, or any other interrupt, for it. I am also trying to ensure that
nothing boots *from* the controller card. I want the OS to boot from the SATA
drive, which is connected to the MB.

"Draco Paladine" wrote:

> There is one thing that these posts have not mentioned. There is an
> interupt that needs to be caught while POSTING, its something about Ir9 I
> think it is. THIS allows controller cards to give priority and then access
> their onboard BIOS and give it priority over MB devices. Check this
> setting. I will do a little research on your board type in a minute and
> post my findings.
> BUT, you should be able to go in to your computer's BIOS and find this.
>
> Draco Paladine
>

> "Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I am unable to boot to Windows XP 64 with drives connected to my Maxtor
> >Ultra
> > ATA 133 card. My XP 64 installation is on a SATA drive and boots fine when
> > disconnect the cables from the card, but leave the card in the system. The
> > system also boots when I connect any two of my six IDE devices to the
> > onboard
> > IDE controller.
> >
> > During POST, the system correctly detects whichever devices are connected
> > the Maxtor card.
> >
> > Also, if I connect the DVD and CD-ROM drives to the Maxtor card, the
> > system
> > boots, but blue screens when I use either drive. I get an error message
> > which
> > reads: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
> >
> > This system has never had XP installed on it. It is a brand new system to
> > which I have freshly installed XP 64. I really would like to get thise
> > hardware configuration to work. Any suggestions?
> >
> > My hardware is as follows:
> > Tyan S2895 system board (BIOS version 1.00.2895, date 2/21/05)
> > 2 AMD Opteron Model 248 processors
> > Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
> > Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
> > Technology)
> > 2 WDC SATA hard drives
> > 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
> > 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
> > 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
> >
> > Maxtor's technical support wrote:
> >
> > It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
> > recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration
> > until
> > just recently? When did the problem start?
> >
> > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what was
> > supplied with the card itself.
> >
> > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware is
> > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

cristalink

I think they should be willing to fix it. However, I am not sure who you
should contact. Try posting the !analyze result at
microsoft.public.development.device.drivers, it might be noticed by MS
programmers who deal with this sort of stuff.

If you right-click your controller in the device manager, Properties,
Driver, Driver Details, what are the drivers listed there? There may be a
driver from Promise. Try checking for an update on Promise website.

--
> [...]

>> > Diamond Viper X X600 Pro graphics accelerator card
>> > Maxtor Ultra ATA 133 Controller (BIOS version 2.20.0050.10 by Promise
>> > Technology)
>> > 2 WDC SATA hard drives
>> > 4 IDE hard drives (3 > 137 GB)
>> > 1 IDE DVD-ROM drive
>> > 1 IDE CD-ROM drive
>> >
>> > Maxtor's technical support wrote:
>> >
>> > It sounds like this is an operating system issue with XP 64. Did you
>> > recently upgrade to 64 or has it been working fine in any configuration
>> > until
>> > just recently? When did the problem start?
>> >
>> > We do not have any specific drivers for the ATA card other than what
>> > was
>> > supplied with the card itself.
>> >
>> > Given that POST sees all devices correctly, we can assume the hardware
>> > is
>> > fine. Do you have the same problem when running XP?

I am not trying to boot from any of my IDE drives. I simply want them to come
up as data storage. That's it. I am not inserting the IDE card to replace the
connector on the board. I want to use the one on the board as well as the two
on the IDE card. I am not trying to dual boot. I simply want to boot to
Windows XP 64 and have it mount my two SATA drives, four IDE drives, and two
CD-ROM drives.

"Tony Sperling" wrote:

> [...]

> > > around a bit, I assume.

> > I have configured the BIOS to boot only from the SATA drive on which my OS
> > is installed. The system utilities (F2 at POST in my case) detect the

> other
> > hard drives installed on the Ultra ATA card. I have excluded them from the
> > list of boot devices.
> >

> > > We probably would do well with some explanation of what was exchanged

> for
> > > what reasons, together with some specifics of how you went about
> > > organizing - what, at first, looks a bit 'over the top'.

> > I don't know what you're looking for when you're asking for "what was
> > exchanged for what reasons." If you're asking how I've arranged my IDE
> > chains, I'd be happy to provide the details, but I didn't think it very
> > relevant to the problem I'm experiencing.

=?Utf-8?B?SGFnb3A=?=

Date: 10/1/2002
Version: 5.2.3790.1830
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

Driver File Details:
Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller
Driver files:
C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys
Provider: Promise Technology, Inc.
File version: 2.1.0.1
Copyright: (c) 1988-2002 Promise Technology Inc.
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher

I called Promise earlier this afternoon. The technician said they do not
have an XP 64 driver for either their device or Maxtor's product.

Thanks for the suggestion about where to post the !analyze results. I'll do
that.

"cristalink" wrote:

> I think they should be willing to fix it. However, I am not sure who you
> should contact. Try posting the !analyze result at
> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers, it might be noticed by MS
> programmers who deal with this sort of stuff.
>
> If you right-click your controller in the device manager, Properties,
> Driver, Driver Details, what are the drivers listed there? There may be a
> driver from Promise. Try checking for an update on Promise website.
>
> --
> http://www.firestreamer.com
> Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,
> encryption, compression, x64, IA-64, more!
>

> "Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >I installed and ran the Debugging Tools for Windows. I looked at the last
> > crash dump. The offending driver is SCSIPORT.SYS. I found the driver
> > (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\scsiport.sys) and checked the properties. Lo
> > and
> > behold, it's a Microsoft driver.
> >
> > File version: 5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
> > Copyright: (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
> >
> > Think this is enough evidence to go to Microsoft with?
> >
> > "cristalink" wrote:
> >
> >> Blue screens are caused either by bad drivers or faulty hardware.
> >> DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is a faulty driver.
> >>
> >> You can use Microsoft WinDbg from Debugging Tools for Windows (it's free)
> >> find out the name of the offending driver by analyzing the crash dump.
> >> It's
> >> not as hard as it sounds. All you need is load a crash dump then type
> >> "!analyze -v". Or you can try Windows Driver Verifier (verifier.exe).
> >> Once
> >> you get the name of the driver, you can try to disable it, get a fixed
> >> version, or contact the manufacturer with some evidence at hand.
> >> --
> >> http://www.firestreamer.com
> >> Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,
> >> encryption, compression, x64, IA-64, more!
> >>

> >> "Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

cristalink

>> I would hope that anything on that distribution would work correctly, but
>> who knows.

I woudn't count on this.

>> I am using the drivers supplied by Microsoft on the XP 64 disk

It's normal practice to put 3rd party drivers into the Windows setup.

>> C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys

Obviously it's a 64-bit driver provided by Promise, or MS licensed the code
and rebuilt it for x64. Try microsoft.public.development.device.drivers

Cheers

--
http://www.firestreamer.com
Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,
encryption, compression, x64, IA-64, more!

"Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>I am not using the drivers that came with the card. I am using the drivers
> supplied by Microsoft on the XP 64 disk. I would hope that anything on
> that
> distribution would work correctly, but who knows? The card is listed under
> "SCSI and RAID controllers" as "Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE
> Controller". The driver details are as follows:
>
> Provider: Microsoft
> Date: 10/1/2002
> Version: 5.2.3790.1830
> Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher
>
> Driver File Details:
> Promise Technology Inc. Ultra IDE Controller
> Driver files:
> C:\Windows\system32\Drivers\ultra.sys
> Provider: Promise Technology, Inc.
> File version: 2.1.0.1
> Copyright: (c) 1988-2002 Promise Technology Inc.
> Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows Publisher
>
> I called Promise earlier this afternoon. The technician said they do not
> have an XP 64 driver for either their device or Maxtor's product.
>
> Thanks for the suggestion about where to post the !analyze results. I'll
> do
> that.
>
> "cristalink" wrote:
>
>> I think they should be willing to fix it. However, I am not sure who you
>> should contact. Try posting the !analyze result at
>> microsoft.public.development.device.drivers, it might be noticed by MS
>> programmers who deal with this sort of stuff.
>>
>> If you right-click your controller in the device manager, Properties,
>> Driver, Driver Details, what are the drivers listed there? There may be a
>> driver from Promise. Try checking for an update on Promise website.
>>
>> --
>> http://www.firestreamer.com
>> Use Microsoft Backup with DVD, HDD, Iomega REV,
>> encryption, compression, x64, IA-64, more!
>>

>> "Hagop" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >I installed and ran the Debugging Tools for Windows. I looked at the
>> >last
>> > crash dump. The offending driver is SCSIPORT.SYS. I found the driver
>> > (C:\Windows\system32\drivers\scsiport.sys) and checked the properties.
>> > Lo
>> > and
>> > behold, it's a Microsoft driver.
>> >
>> > File version: 5.2.3790.1830 (srv03_sp1_rtm.050324-1447)
>> > Copyright: (c) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
>> >
>> > Think this is enough evidence to go to Microsoft with?

Draco Paladine

I noticed you are not using the most recent BIOS in your MB. Try upgrading
this as I read there were a few add-on card boot up issues resolved in the
newest one.